Rush County Museums and Historic Sites
Bison Community Museum - Exhibits items and
information on Bison's
early history. Located in the Community Building on Main Street.
Kansas Barbed Wire Museum - Barbed
wire was an important commodity in the early days of Kansas. The museum is devoted solely to the history and legend of
this part of American history often referred to as the “Devils
Rope”. Located at 120 W. 1st Street, La Cross Kansas.
Nekoma Bank Museum - The historic Nekoma,
bank was moved to La Crosse, Kansas
and is dedicated to the history of banking in rural America. Located
202 West 1st
Street, La Crosse, Kansas.
Post Rock Museum - Housed in the 1883 homestead of Dan
Haley, the native stone building exhibits information related to the
quarry of native stone by early Kansas pioneers. Located at
202 W. 1st Street in La Crosse, Kansas.
Rush County Historical Museum - Housed in the former Timken
Santa Fe Depot, collections include artifacts and antiques related
to the pioneer life of early settlers in
Rush County, Kansas. Located at 202 W. 1st Street in La
McCracken Historical Museum - Housed in the
old city jail, the museum offers exhibits of items related to the
history of McCracken, Kansas as well as information about the movie
"Paper Moon" which was filmed in the area. Located on Main Street
in McCracken, Kansas.
Lone Star School - Built as the German
Methodist Episcopal Church and school, construction began in 1878 with hand-hewn
native stone. It was the first German speaking Methodist Church in Rush
County. The building was used as a church and school until the congregation
built a new church one mile north in 1890. It was then sold to the the school
district and classes were held until 1947 when the district merged with Bison.
Currently furnishings and memorabilia are being collected in an effort to
restore the interior of the school to its former appearance. Listed on the
National Register of Historic Places, it is located 1 1/4 miles west of BisonBison on
Rush County Courthouse - Built in 1888,
the beautiful Romanesque style building, constructed of brick with native stone accents, building
is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Prominent features of the building include a circular tower
on the southeast corner, a square tower on the northeast, native stone arches
over the entrances and stained glass dormers. Located at
715 Elm Street.
St. Joseph's Kirche - The
first Catholic church was built in Liebenthal
in 1878 but by the early 1900s, a larger church building was
needed. From 1902 until 1905, the members of the parish worked to
complete the present native stone church, utilizing over two
thousand loads of stone that were were dug from nearby hills. The
stained glass windows were made by an Austrian/German artist. Twice,
fire destroyed all of the wood sections and the roof of the
cathedral. St. Josephs Kirche stands as one of the most beautiful
churches on the Kansas plains. Located near the church are the
rectory and parocial school, both constructed of native stone
quarried near the community. In 1997, following restructuring of the
Liebenthal, McCracken, and Timken churches, Mass was no longer held on a regular basis. However,
today, masses have been rescheduled for Saturday nights.
Hampton Cemetery - The community of
Hampton, located along the
Fort Hays - Fort Dodge Trail,
was situated five miles east of
The community no longer exists; however, area citizens have worked to restore
St. Mary's Church - Built in 1926, this beautiful
ornate dark brick building with stone arches and trim was built on the same site
as an earlier church, from which much of the original stone was used.
In 1997, following restructuring of the
Liebenthal, McCracken, and Timken
churches, Mass was no longer held on a regular basis in
Members of the parish formed the Saint Mary's McCracken Heritage Association
in effort to preserve the beautiful building. Currently the building is used for
special occasions and services. Located on Ash Street at the north edge of town.
Fort Hays - Fort Dodge Trail
- Established in 1867, the Fort Hays - Fort Dodge Trail,
which passed near this spot, was first used by the military and some civilian
traffic in 1868. The following year Alexander Harvey, a former member of the
Sixth Cavalry, built a trading post on the trail on the north bank of Walnut
Creek near here, and provided a place to ford the creek. The marker and a rest
area are located on K-96 on the west edge of Alexander.
Howard R. Barnard (1863-1948), Pioneer
Educator - Howard R. Barnard established Entre Nous "College" in northwest Rush
County in 1906. He built a 2-story building, hired teachers, and provided school
buses, using for funds a sizable inheritance which he received from the east.
This was one of the first schools to offer visual education, free
transportation, and physical training. By 1913 his funds were depleted, and the
school was closed. He taught in the public schools of Rush County, often going
hungry to buy more books, and in 1923 became Librarian in the LaCrosse Rural
High School. At his death on December 9, 1948, his large collection of books was
left to "the school children of Rush County." The Barnard Library, named in his
honor, located is located 4 blocks north and 1 block west of this point and
displays items pertaining to his devoted life to this county. The marker is
located in City Park in La Crosse.
Compiled and edited by
of Kansas, updated March, 2017.
From Legends' General Store
West Books - In
Legends of America's
style, we carry a wide collection of
books about the people, places, and events of the
era. See cowboys, trails, lawmen, outlaws, cookbooks,
Native Americans, and lots More! AND, if you love
books, you might also want to take a look at our huge
Vintage Western Magazines. This is one of the largest
collections of vintage
Old West magazines on the whole web-wide world, if not the
largest, and it's still growing.