It was a station on the Union Pacific Railroad, and a post office was opened on December 16, 1884.
In 1910, it had about a dozen business establishments, a post office, telegraph, telephone, and express offices, and a population of 150. The nearest banking point was in Belleville.
Talmo didn’t grow, and its post office closed on October 15, 1953, after which time its mail was delivered from Belleville. In 1960, it was called home to 38 people, and its elementary school closed. Its grocery store closed about 1967, and the CoOp gas station closed during the 1970s.
Today, the community still includes several homes and a couple of old business buildings. Any remaining students are served by Republic County USD 109 public school district in Belleville
Talmo is located nine miles south of Belleville.