Every Place in Kansas

Listed here is a working index of every place in Kansas.

Lost Towns/Places – These places no longer exist. While its location may still be known, there is nothing left of the community, stage stop, etc.

Extinct Towns – These communities often still exist with a few homes and buildings, but no longer has a post office.

Ghost Towns – These places are often extinct towns, but provide several business buildings, an old school, and interesting buildings or places that provide great photo opportunities. Ghost towns can also be current towns that are shells of their former selves due to having lost their primary economic mainstay, or for other reasons.

Name Change – The name of the community was changed or the community merged with another.

Paper Town – These places were claimed, sometimes staked out, and never built. Or a town company was incorporated but never followed through.

 

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X Y  Z

Army City, Kansas in about 1918.

Army City, Kansas in about 1918.

A

Place Name County Place Type Post Office Dates More Information
50 Camp Crawford Lost Town NA This mining camp was located about two miles west of Arma. It was a company town of Central Coal and Coke Company.
110 Station/Crossing Osage Name Change One Hundred Ten Crossing of Santa Fe Trail. McGee-Harris Stage Station 1854, Fry McGee, Proprietor. Town of Richardson platted 1854, a post office 1855-74, Fry McGee, postmaster. Two miles southeast of Scranton.
142 Crossing Lyon Lost Place Crossing of Santa Fe Trail. Charles H. Withington had a store in 1856. Allen post office established 1/2 mile northeast, 1855-56. Located near Road M, four miles north of Allen
Abilene Dickinson Current Town The name changed from Mud Creek or Muddy Creek, Tim Hersey was a pioneer and town promoter; Charles H. Thompson was the townsite owner. In 1859/1860 it was on the Smoky Hill Trail; 1866/1867 Kansas Pacific Railroad,1867 Chisholm Trail; Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad,home of Dwight D. Eisenhower;
Abram Lincoln Lost Town Founded 1870. Abandoned 1872
Abrellville Sumner Lost Town It had a post office for just a few months in 1873 from May to September.
Achilles Rawlins Lost Town Vacated 1903
Ackerland Leavenworth Lost Town 1883-1923 Ackerland, a village of Leavenworth County, is located in the western portion of the county on the Leavenworth & Topeka Railroad.
Adair Trego Lost Town
Adams Peak Pottawatomie Lost Town
Adamson Rooks Lost Town
Adamsville
Adel Ness Lost Town
Adel Sheridan Lost Town
Adelphi Cowley Name Change  One of the early names of Arkansas City
Adobe Seward Lost Town
Advance Meade On the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad in 1887.
Advance Sheridan Lost Town
Aeolia Douglas Lost Town
Agenda Republic
Afton Sedgwick Lost Town
Agnes City Lyon Lost Town None Incorporated 1857, by A. J. Baker, E. Mosier and E. M. Sewell. It was located on the Santa Fe Trail crossing of Rock Creek.
Agra Phillips
Aiken McPherson On the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad in 1887.
Ailanthus Ottawa Lost Town Discontinued 1882
Air Lyon Lost Town 1880-1900 It was located 3.5 miles north and 1.5 west of Miller.
Akron Douglas Lost Town
Aladdin Douglas Lost Town
Alamota Lane Lost Town Vacated 1895.
Alamead, Cypress Lincoln Lost Town Also called Allemead and Cypress
Albany Nemaha Lost Town 1858-1882 Established by New Yorkers in 1859. The post office was discontinued in 1882. It was two miles north of Sabetha.
Albany Wilson On the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad.
Albion Republic For a short time was the name of a post office.
Albion Sumner Established in Harper County, replacing Gourock. it was located on the very east border; later it moved right across the county line to Sumner County.
Albion/Pike Wabaunsee The name changed to Pike; replaced later by a post office named Alta Vista.
Alburtis Morris Lost Town 1879-1906 This town was located about two miles from the Wabaunsee County line and seven miles from Council Grove.
Alcolea Greenwood Lost Town 1874 It was located southwest of Eureka.
Alcona Rooks
Alcove Springs Marshall NA
Alcyone Sheridan Lost Town
Alden Rice Was on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.
Alembic Riley Lost Town Also called Alembria, it is now Leonardsville.
Alert Riley Lost Town Alert was west of Randolph.
Alexander Douglas Lost Town
Alexander Rush Alexander Harvey, postmaster
Alexandria Leavenworth Lost Town 1856-1857 Alexander was incorporated in 1855, by A. Majors, S. D. Pitcher, A. Payne, J. M. Alexander, Sibley and William  H. Russell. It was located on Stranger Creek.
Alfred Douglas Lost Town
Alicari Ness Lost Town Established 1879.
Alice
Allen County Allen Current County NA One of the original 36 counties, Allen County was created in 1855. Iola is the county seat.
Allen Springs Lane Lost Town Established 1879.
Allendale Johnson Lost Town 1862-1863
Alliance Barton Lost Town Located northwest of Holyrood, northeast of Claflin.
Alliance Ellsworth Lost Town 1881-1895
Alliance Neosho Lost Town Also called Chicago Junction, New Chicago, and Tioga, it is part of Chanute today.
Allington Crawford Lost Town
Allison Decatur Named for a pioneer.
Alloway Sumner G. A. Alloway, townsite owner
Alma Osage Lost Town Vacated 1899.
Alma Wabaunsee Founded in 1857; named for a city in Germany from which many of its first settlers had come; located in Alma Township on the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad in 1887.
Almena Norton Lost Town This town grew up around the homestead of James & Mary Brown Hall south of the Prairie Dog Creek circa 1871. Mail was distributed to settlers from their sod house. Named for Mary Hall’s hometown in Michigan. In 1885, the Lincoln Land Company platted land north of the Prairie Dog Creek and in conjunction with the Burlington Railroad offered free lots to merchants who would move. Almena was incorporated as a city of the third class on April 10, 1893. Two rail lines served Almena: the Chicago, Kansas, and Nebraska Railway (the Rock Island route) with track laid through Norton County in 1887 located in south Almena; and
in north Almena the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad. Each had its own depot.
Alta Harvey Lost Town
Alta Vista/Cable City Wabaunsee Lost Town Formerly called Albion, it was located in Washington Township; Chicago and Rock Island Railroad in 1887.
Altamont Labette Located on the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad.
Alton Atchison Lost Town
Alton Osborne General H. C. Bull from Wisconson was the first postmaster. He and Lyman T. Earl, town promoters. The name changed from Bull City to Alton for Alton, Illinois.
Alton Sumner Lost Town It had a post office from June 1872 to October 1881.
Altoona Wilson
Alum Creek Ellsworth Name Change Also called Elm Creek, it later became Carneiro.
Alva Cloud Lost Town It had a post office from December 1871 to October 1878. The post office was moved to Jamestown.
Amboy Rooks Lost Town
America City Nemaha Lost Town 1860-1932 This place was established on the Parallel Road from Atchison, Kansas to Denver, Colorado on the Red Vermillion River.
Americus Lyon Located north of Emporia, it was named for the “celebrated explorer Americus Vespucci. It was on the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway
Ames Cloud
Amity Jewell Lost Town
Amy Lane
Andale Sedgwick
Anderson Pratt Lost Town Established 1879.
Anderson Smith Lost Town
Anderson County Anderson Current County NA One of the original 36 counties, Anderson County was created in 1855. Garnett is the county seat.
Andover Butler On the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad.
Andrew Smith Lost Town
Antelope Marion Lost Town A place on the Santa Fe Trail where antelope were seen. It had a post office.
Anthony Harper Current Town County seat of Harper County; 50 miles west of Arkansas City.
Antone Pawnee Lost Town Established 1879.
Antonino Ellis Lost Town Located south of Hays;
Appanoose Franklin Lost Town The post office was established in 1859. Located in the north part of the county.
Appin Saline Lost Town
Appleton Bourbon Lost Town
Appleton Clark Lost Town
Appomattox Grant Lost Town 1890-1894 Vacated 1893. Formed by the consolidation of Cincinnati and Surprise.
Arapahoe Dickenson Lost Town
Arcadia Crawford It was known as Hathaway, Cox’s Creek, OldArcadia, Finley City, and present Arcadia
Arcola Ellsworth Lost Town None
Arcola Sumner Lost Town
Argonia Sumner Argonia had the “first woman mayor in the world” — Susana Medora Salter in 1887.
Argyle Sumner Lost Town It had a post office from February 1874 to February 1881.
Army City Riley Lost Town 1918-1922 Army City was a town built in 1917 to satisfy the needs of Camp Funston on the Fort RileyKansas military reservation.
Aroma Dickinson Lost Town
Arion Cloud Lost Town It had a post office from April 1875 to July 1883.
Arispie Pottawatomie Lost Town
Arizon Doniphan Platted in March, 1856
Arizona Butler Lost Town
Arizonia Doniphan Lost Town Platted in 1856.
Arkalon Seward Lost Town On the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad in 1888. It was named for Arkalon Tenny, the father of the postmaster.
Arkansas City Cowley Current Town Founded in January 1870. During the 1880s gold rush, mining operations did not prove profitable. In August 1893 over 50,000
people swarmed into the Arkansas City area when land in Cherokee Strip opened for homesteads.
Arkansas River Barton Lost Town This was a station on Santa Fe Trail, one-half mile west of Ellinwood.
Arkona Sheridan Lost Town
Arlington Osborne Lost Town Discontinued 1872.
Arlington Reno On the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad, 1887
Arma Crawford Named for a coal miner and land owner.
Armstrong Wyandotte Lost Town Part of Kansas City, Kansas, consolidated 1886.
Armourdale Wyandotte
Armstrong Leavenworth On the Kansas Pacific Railroad
Army City Geary Lost Town
Arnold Crawford Name Change Now Beulah.
Arnold Ness J. G. Arnold, elevator owner
Aroma Dickinson Lost Town
Arrington Atchison Lost Town 1862-1973 Also called Arrington Springs, was a settlement located in the southwestern part of Atchison County on the Delaware River.
Artesian City Meade Lost Town Vacated 1893
Arthur Ness Lost Town
Artois Meade Lost Town
Arvilla Osage Lost Town East of Burlingame.
Arvonia Osage Lost Town A Welsh population settlement it was on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.
Ash Point/Laramie Creek Station Nemaha Lost Town/Place 1858-1870 Located by Thomas Smith at the junction of the St. Joseph trail on the Fort Leavenworth and Fort Laramie Military Road. It was a  Pony Express Station on the California Trail and later a stage station on the Overland Stage Route.
Ash Rock Rooks Lost Town
Ash Valley Pawnee Lost Town
Ashcroft Jefferson Lost Town 1898-1900 Ashcroft was in Delaware Township about four miles from Valley Falls
Ashland Clark Current Town County seat of Clark County.
Ashland Riley Lost Town Post office in 1855, discontinued in 1968. Town vacated in 1873. South of the river near Ogden.
Ashland Ness Lost Town
Ashmead Ellsworth Lost Town 1875-1888 Moved to Lorraine in 1888.
Assaria Saline
Astor Greeley Lost Town Vacated 1897.
Atchison Atchison Current Town The take-off point for gold fields of California in 1850. The Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad. founded at Atchison 1871.
Atchison County Atchison Current County NA One of the original 36 counties, Atchison County was created in 1855. Atchison is the county seat.
Atchison Steam Ferry Atchison Lost Place NA  Operated in 1857 on the Missouri River. W. L. Challiss & Co., Proprietors.
Athelstane or Athelstone Clay Lost Town
Athens Jewell Lost Town
Athens Woodson
Athy Grant Lost Town 1916-1925
Atkin Graham Lost Town Vacated 1889.
Atkinsville Montgomery Lost Town
Atlanta Cowley Lost Town
Atlanta Montgomery Name Change Name changed to Rutland.
Atlanta Rice Name Change Now Lyons.
Attica Ellsworth Name Change Name changed to Bosland. Now Wilson.
Attica Harper Lost Town
Atwater Meade Lost Town Vacated 1899.
Atwood Rawlins Current Town County seat
Aubrey Hamilton Name Change The post office was called Zamora. Both changed to Kendall
Aubry Johnson Lost Town 1860-1862
1866-1888
Located in southeastern Johnson County, Aubry was once a bloody battleground during the border troubles of the Civil War.
Auburn Shawnee
Augusta Butler Current Town Incorporated in 1871; located on table land near the confluence of Walnut and Whitewater Rivers. On the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad.
Augustine Springs Wichita Lost Town
Aurora Cloud
Aurora Coffey Lost Town Site located 1857; abandoned 1861.
Aurora Jewell Lost Town Discontinued about 1881 or 1882.
Austin Sumner Lost Town Site located 1869; abandoned 1872.
Avery Reno Lost Town
Avilda Marion Lost Town
Avilla Comanche Lost Town Vacated 1903.
Avon Coffey Lost Town Post office 1859.
Avondale Franklin Lost Town Formerly Emerson: Moved to Lane.
Ayersburg, Ayersville Ottawa Name Change Now Lindsey.
Ayr Butler Lost Town
Axtell Marshall
Ayresville Marshall Lost Town Established 1855. On Little Blue River, 20 miles south of the Nebraska line.

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X Y  Z