Every Place in Kansas – H

Hutchinson, Kansas Large Grain Elevator

Hutchinson, Kansas Large Grain Elevator

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X Y  Z

H

Place Name County Place Type Post Office Dates More Information
Hackberry/Hackberry Mills Gove Lost Town Located on Hackberry Creek near Gove; on the Union Pacific Railroad, post office until 1931.
Hackett Franklin Lost Town 1900-1903 In the northern part of the county, it was located in the valley of Eight Mile Creek, about six miles northwest of Ottawa.
Hackney Cheyenne Lost Town 1886 The post office was only open for six months.
Haddam Washington Current Town
Hadley Crawford Lost Town 1881-1894
Haggard Gray
Hail Ridge Linn Lost Town 1879-1888 Located about nine miles southwest of Mound City.
Halcyon Wichita Lost Town Vacated 1893.
Hale Chautauqua Lost Town
Halfmound Jefferson Lost Town 1898-1914 Halfmound was located in the northern part of Delaware Township on the Delaware River.
Halifax/Bismark Wabaunsee Lost Town 1869-1915
1917-1937
Bismark is the original name of Halifax. Halifax is located in Mill Creek Township. It was one of the largest rural shipping points of cattle on the Sante Fe Railroad. The only remains is the Stone school house that was built in 1881.
Hallet/Silver Lake Shawnee Name Change The name changed to Silver Lake in 1855. Silver Lake is a current town.
Hallowell Cherokee Lost Town On the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad.
Halls Summit/Warnerton Coffey Lost Town 1878-1935 Named for Ezra E. Hall, postmaster. It was also called Warnerton.
Halstead Harvey Current Town A group of German Mennonites helped pioneer.
Halton Ellis Lost Town
Hamburg Pawnee
Hamburgh Allen Lost Town 1879-1883
Hampden Coffey Lost Town 1857-1858
1864-1866
Hampden was the county seat from May 23, 1863, to November 24, 1865, when it lost out to Burlington.
Hamer Creek Greenwood Lost Town
Hamilton Crawford Lost Town 1868-1871
Hamilton Greenwood Current Town
Hamilton Riley Lost Town Incorporated 1857.
Hamilton County Hamilton Current County Established in 1873 from unorganized area. The county seat is Syracuse.
Hamlin Brown Extinct Town 1857-1973 The original site of Hamlin was two and a half miles south of its current location. As of the 2020 census, its population was about 35. There are still a few scattered homes and buildings in the area.
Hammond Bourbon Lost Town 1877-1968 An extinct town in Osage Township of Bourbon County, it was named for William Hammond, the townsite owner.
Hamner Kingman Hugh E. Hamner, landowner
Hampden Coffey Lost Town Located in 1855; abandoned in 1866.
Hampton Rush Lost Town 1877-1887
1888-1910
Located on Big Timbers Creek along the Fort Hays-Fort Dodge Trail.
Handin City Brown Lost Town
Handy Osborne Lost Town
Hanover Osage Lost Town
Hanover Washington Current Town Cottonwood Creek Crossing of the Oregon Trail.
Hanson Pottawatomie Lost Town 1882-1885 Located in Pottawatomie Township.
Hanston Hodgeman Current Town
Haphazard Dickinson Lost Town 1879-1882
Happy Hollow Graham Lost Town
Harbine – See Byron. Republic Lost Town
Hardilee Smith Lost Town
Harding Bourbon Lost Town 1888-1933 Named for Russell Harding, the general superintendent of the Missouri Pacific Railroad.
Hardtner Barber Current Town Named for John Hardtner, Illinois doctor.
Hardtville, Hickory Point Jefferson Lost Town
Hargrave Rush Lost Town 1899-1913
1914-1950
Was a station on the Missouri Pacific Railroad located about seven miles west of La Crosse.
Harkness Leavenworth Lost Town 1890-1894
Harlen -1995 The post office closed on August 5, 1995.
Harmonia Linn Lost Town Near the Missouri line.
Harmony Pawnee Lost Town 1877-1908 Located near the northwest corner of the county, about 18 miles from Larned.
Harold Ness Lost Town Vacated 1905.
Harper Harper Current Town
Harper County Harper Current County NA Created from unorganized area in 1867. County seat is Anthony.
Harris Anderson A. A. Harris, townsite owner.
Harris Ferry Jefferson Lost Place This ferry was established in 1860 on the Kansas River. John Harris, proprietor. The ferry was about five miles above Lawrence.
Harrisburg Ottawa Lost Town
Harrisburgh Lyon Lost Town 1870-1871
Harrison Jewell Lost Town
Harrison Pottawatomie Lost Town None Located in Belvue Township, it was located on the Kansas Central Railway on the banks of the Big Blue River.
Harrisonville Montgomery Lost Town 1871-1887
Harshbarger Lincoln Lost Town 1874-1876
Hart’s Mill Chautauqua Lost Town
Hartford Lyon Current Town In March 1857, Harvey D. Rice, A.K. Hawkes, from New England, and a man named Woodford, from Connecticut, explored the area on horseback looking for a townsite. The town was laid out in the fall of 1858 by Judge A.D. Graham and D.P. Bond was named after Hartford, Connecticut. The first buildings were started during the spring and summer of 1859. The Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway was completed through town in 1869. The town was incorporated in 1884.
Hartland Kearny
Hathaway Bourbon Lost Town 1858-1860 The first postmaster was J. Phillips.
Havana Montgomery Lost Town None Started in 1869. Callow & Myers opened a general merchandise store and were succeeded in the business by Lines & Caufman.
Harvey Anderson Lost Town
Harvey Riley Lost Town
Harvey County Harvey Current County NA Formed from McPherson, Sedgwick, and Marion Counties in 1872. Newton is the county seat. It was on the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad in 1888; also on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.
Harveyville Wabaunsee Current Town Ruben Elliott homesteaded a farm near Harveyville in 1889. He moved to Kansas from Indiana. They were Quakers.
Haskell County Haskell Current County NA Formed from Finney and Ford Counties in 1887. Sublette is the county seat.
Hastings Graham Lost Town Vacated 1895.
Hatfield Finney Lost Town Vacated 1897.
Hatfield Sedgwick Lost Town 1884-1886 The post office moved to Maize.
Haton
Havana Montgomery Current Town Believed to have received its name from Havana, Illinois.
Havana Osage Lost Town German and French settlers from St. Louis, Missouri argued and abandoned the town. Four miles west of Burlingame.
Haven Reno Current Town
Havensville Pottawatomie Current Town -2006 The post office closed on August 26, 2006.
Haverhill Butler Lost Town 1880-1933 A station on the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad, it was ten miles south of Eldorado. In 1910, it had a money order post office, a cooperative telephone company, an express office, was a trading and shipping point for the neighborhood and had a population of 50.
Haviland Kiowa Current Town On the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad, 1887.
Hawkeye Decatur Lost Town Vacated 1895.
Hawkswing Linn Lost Town 1859-1863
Hawley/Fairfield Russell  Lost Town 1875-1909 The name changed from Fairfield to Hawley on July 19, 1880. It was a small hamlet of Fairfield Township located on the Smoky Hill River about ten miles southeast of Russell. The population in 1910 was 33.
Haworth Republic Named for the Haworth family, pioneers.
Hawthorne Atchison Lost Town 1891-1900
Hayes/Brough Nemaha Lost Town 1877-1880 This town was first called Hayes. Changed to Brough in 1877.
Hayne Seward On the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad, 1888
Haynesville Pratt Lost Town
Hays Ellis Current Town County seat. Founded in 1867 near Fort Hays. It was on the Kansas Pacific Railroad. In 1901 Fort Hays State University was established as the Western Branch of the State Normal School.
Haysville Johnson Lost Town 1858-1860
Haysville Sedgwick Current Town Named for William W. Hays, postmaster.
Hayter Harper Named for C. H. Hayter, pioneer.
Hazelton Barber Current Town 1883-2007. The post office closed on December 22, 2007.
Hazlewood Ford Lost Town 1878-1879
Hazletville Woodson Lost Town
Healy Lane Current Town Named for O. H. Healey, pioneer.
Heasleyville Marshall Lost Town None A stage station in Center Township, named for Jerry Heasley, a stage driver, and early-day “character.”
Hebron Clay Lost Town
Hebron Saline Lost Town
Hecla Anderson Lost Place  A railway station on the Missouri Pacific Railroad near Garnett.
Hector Greeley Lost Town 1885-1886 Getting its start in 1885, it didn’t last long, declined, and the people and businesses moved to Tribune.
Hector Johnson Lost Town 1875-1884 The first settler in the area was  John Dyche, in 1857. He soon established a productive livestock farm.
Hedgewood Norton Lost Town
Hedville Saline Named for Hed, a pioneer.
Heet Water Was connected with the railway system in some way.
Heights Finney Lost Town Vacated 1893.
Heizer Barton Named for D. N. Heizer, townsite owner.
Helen Sedgwick Lost Town 1877-1882
Helena Atchison Lost Town
Helmick Morris Lost Town 1887-1907 A station on the Missouri Pacific Railroad about seven miles west of Council Grove.
Hendricks Allen Lost Town 1882-1883
Hendricks Finney Lost Town Vacated 1893.
Henning Bourbon Lost Town 1871 The post office was open for less than three months. The postmaster was A.V. Wolf.
Henry Dickinson Lost Town 1880-1886
Henryville Pottawatomie Lost Town P.O. 1859.
Henryville Riley Lost Town 1857-1870
Henshaw Creek Logan Lost Town
Henshaw Station Logan
Hepler Crawford Current Town Named for Dr. B. F. Hepler of the town company. Was on the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway.
Herald/Finlay Sedgwick Lost Town 1877-1882 The name changed from Finlay to Herald on March 19, 1879.
Herington Dickinson Current Town On the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad, 1887.
Herkimer  Marshall Current Town
Herman Lincoln Lost Town 1874-1893 Located in the southern part of Battle Creek Township. It had a post office from 1874 to 1893.
Herndon Rawlins Current Town
Hersey’s Station Dickinson Lost Town Near Abilene, on Mud Creek.
Herzog/Victoria Ellis Current Town A Volga-German town first named Herzog, now Victoria.
Hesperia Greenwood Lost Town Voting place, 1858. This village seems to have been on the Verdigris River northwest of Madison, possibly in the area of Blakley Cemetary.
Hessville Sumner Lost Town 1872-1881
Hesston Harvey Current Town
Hewins Chatauqua
Hiattville/Pawnee Bourbon Extinct Town 1870-1986 Located in Pawnee Township, it was first called Pawnee. It still has a few area homes, an active church, and an old school.
Hiawatha Brown Current Town County seat. Founded in 1857
Hibbard Johnson Name Change 1855 Name changed to Lanesfield 1856; changed to Martinsburg 1870; and to Edgerton 1871.
Hickman Cherokee Lost Town 1872 The post office was only open for three months.
Hickman Greenwood Lost Town 1883-1895
Hickok Grant Extinct Town Named for Frank W. Hickok, pioneer. Still has a grain elevator and a few buildings.
Hickory Butler Lost Town 1877-1880
1886
Hickory Creek Franklin Lost Town 1859-1860
Hickory Grove Franklin Lost Town
Hickory Point, Stony Point Douglas Lost Town Stony Point was a small community on the Santa Fe Trail. It was never large enough to have had a post office. It was about ten miles south of Lawrence.
Hickory Point Jefferson Lost Town None In June 1854, Charles Hardt located at Hickory Point in Jefferson Township and started a trading ranch.
Hicks Station Russell Lost Town
Hico McPherson Lost Town
High Bridge Atchison Lost Town 1888-1900
High Prairie Leavenworth Lost Town 1875-1882 The post office moved to Boling.
Highland Doniphan Current Town
Highland Park Shawnee Lost Town 1890-1894 Though a post office was approved, it was never in operation.
Hill City Graham Current Town Named after W. R. Hill, a founder, and early settler.
Hill Grove Gove Lost Town
Hill Spring Morris Lost Town 1868-1878 The post office moved to Mildred in 1878.
Hillsboro Marion Current Town On the Santa Fe Trail. Many Mennonites from Russia settled in this area.
Hillsborough Linn Lost Town
Hillsdale or Hillside Farm Harvey Lost Town
Hillsdale Miami Current Town
Hillside Farm 1872-1876
Hilltop Greenwood Lost Town 1884-1951 A station on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.
Hink Crawford Lost Town 1889-1894
Hinckley Lincoln Lost Town 1886 The post office was only open for a few months, from February 23, 1886, to July 28, 1886
Hitschman Barton Lost Town Named for Joseph Hitschman, townsite owner.
Hobart Meade Lost Town On the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad in 1887
Hobart Rooks Lost Town
Hodgeman County Hodgeman Current County NA Created from unorganized territory in 1867. It was initially called Hageman County. The county seat is Jetmore.
Hog Back Station Ellis Name Change None Named for a ridge of land with a sharp summit and sloping sides located halfway between Hays and Ellis. There was a railroad station located in Hog Back at one time. Now Yocemento.
Hoge Leavenworth Lost Town 1867-1871
1872-1901
Located in Stranger Township, Hoge was a station on the Kansas Pacific Railroad. Named for Joseph Hoge, postmaster.
Hohneck, Honek Saline Lost Town Near Bavaria.
Hoisington Barton Current Town
Holcomb Finney Current Town Named for D.C. Holcomb, pioneer.
Holden Butler Lost Town
Holland Dickinson Lost Town 1872-1875
1884-1906
Located on Holland Creek, it was about 14 miles southwest of Abilene and three miles north of Carlton, the nearest railroad station. In 1910, it was a trading center for the neighborhood and had a population of 41.
Hollenberg/Cottonwood Station Washington Current Town Pony Express Station; and on the Central Overland California and Pikes Peak Express
Holliday/Waseka Johnson Lost Town 1882-1971 Name changed from Waseca. On the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.Part of Shawnee today.
Hollidaysburg Hamilton Name Change Now Syracuse.
Holling Lost Town 1869-1900
Hollis Cloud Named for the Hollis family, pioneers.
Hollyrood, Hollywood Ellsworth Name Change The name changed from Hollywood to Holyrood.
Holman Bourbon Lost Town 1894-1901 A.H. Holeman was the first postmaster, and the post office was located in his home. It was six miles north of Bronson.
Holmwood, Branchport. Jewell Lost Town
Holt Station Clay Lost Town
Holton Jackson Current Town County seat. Settled by Free State men from Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Holy Cross Pottawatomie Lost Town 1884-1910 Located in Emmett Township, about two miles south of Emmett. In 1910, its population was 43.
Holyrood Ellsworth Current Town
Holyoke Ellsworth Lost Town 1876-1882
Home Marshall Current Town
Home, White’s Quarry Washington Lost Town
Homer Russell Lost Town 1879-1887
Homer Creek Greenwood Lost Town 1869-1872
Homestead/Walnut Hill Chase Lost Town 1876-1913 Settlement began here in 1871. Homestead was a country post office in Cottonwood Township. In 1910, it had a population of 40. It was located 15 miles southwest of Cottonwood Falls.
Homewood Franklin Extinct Town 1877-1955 The post office moved from Forest Home.
Honek, Hohneck. Saline Lost Town Near Bavaria.
Hooker Decatur Lost Town Formerly St. John.
Hooper’s Ford Doniphan Lost Town Established in 1855 on Wolf River south of Highland. Parker (or Peter?) A. Hooper, proprietor. A deserted Sac & Fox village was used by pioneer settlers for voting & community uses. Bartlett’s grist mill was established at nearby Wolf River Falls but washed out after about five years.
Hooser Cowley Named for George H. Hooser, postmaster.
Hope Dickinson Current Town
Hopefield Crawford Lost Town 1870-1876 The post office moved to New Pittsburgh.
Hopewell Pratt Lost Town
Hopper Washington Lost Town
Horace Greeley Ghost Town 1886-1965 Horace was founded in 1886 when the Missouri Pacific Railroad came through Today, it is a semi-ghost town.
Horanif Wyandotte 1888-1901
Horne Leavenworth On the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad and the Kansas Pacific Railroad.
Horner Grant Lost Town Vacated 1893.
Horner Marion Lost Town 1898-1904 Horner had a railroad station, cattle pens, and the Oscar Horner Quarry which yielded magnesium limestone. It was located approximately three miles northeast of Peabody.
Horton Brown Current Town On the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad.The present site of one of the oldest Federal Indian Agencies. It once had an Indian school.
Horton Lyon Lost Town Was on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.
Hortonville Sheridan Lost Town
Hose Benedict Branch of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.
Hosford Montgomery Lost Town 1883-1889
Hoskins Rooks Lost Town
Houck Saline Lost Town
Hough Russell Lost Town 1893-1895
Hourglass Cheyenne Lost Town 1882-1883
Houston Graham Lost Town
Houston Riley Lost Town
Howard Elk Current Town
Howe Crawford Lost Town NA A small mining community located about 16 miles northeast of Pittsburg.
Howe, Lippard, Lippert Rush Lost Town 1882-1911
Howell/Morris Ford Lost Town 1895-1897
1909-1916
Originally known as Morrison Station, the town was yet another railroad stop on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.
Howell Sumner Lost Town None Established in 1878, it was three miles east and three miles north of Caldwell along the Chikaskia River at 1400 South Mayfield Road.
Hoxie/Kenneth Sheridan Current Town County seat. Originally called Kenneth, named for a vice-president of the Union Pacific Railroad when it came through the county.
Hoyt Jackson Current Town
Huber
Hudson Stafford Current Town 1879-2018 The post office closed on February 1, 2018.
Hugoton Stevens Current Town County Seat. On the Cimarron Branch of the Santa Fe Trail.
Hukle Sedgwick Lost Town 1887-1903
Hull Marshall Lost Town 1887-1921 Situated on the Big Blue River and the Union Pacific Railroad, the town was named for a great manufacturing city in England.
Humboldt Allen Current Town Named for Baron Alexander von Humboldt by German immigrant founders who came into the region in 1857. Located in Humboldt Township, nine miles north of Chanute
Humbolt Geary Lost Town Located in 1857, near the site of Millard or Junction City.
Hund’s Station Leavenworth Lost Town 1873-1901 A small colony on Salt Creek and the Kansas Central Railway, it was settled in 1854. Wendelin Hund was the postmaster. It was located in the northeastern part of the county, four and a half miles from Leavenworth.
Hunnewell Sumner Ghost Town 1880-1960 On the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad, this was once a busy cowtown.
Hunts, Hunt’s Station, Silver Creek, Chawfordsville, Clements Chase Lost Town This place had a number of names before Hunter. It was named for Albert Lewis Hunter. The town died during the Great Depression.
Huntsville Reno Lost Town 1878-1905 Located between Salt and Peace Creeks, it was 24 miles west of Hutchinson. In 1910, its population was 60.
Huron Atchison Ghost Town
Huron/Omio Jewell Name Change The name changed to Omio 1879.
Hurst Crossing Sumner Lost Town
Hurt Greeley Lost Town 1895-1911 A country post office in Colony Township, it was located 16 miles from Tribune. The population in 1910 was 15.
Huscher Cloud Lost Town Named for David Huscher, the postmaster. It was just south of Concordia.
Huson Atchison Lost Town
Hutchinson Reno Current Town County seat. Platted in November 1871. Sam Blanchard discovered salt depositd below Hutchinson in 1887.
Hutton Rush Lost Town 1878-1887
Hyacinth/Bantam Ellis Lost Town 1906-1914 A Volga German community, it was located about ten miles northwest of Hays. The name was changed from Bantam to Hyacinth in 1910. The St. John Baptist church was built in 1906, serving the community until 1967. Only the cemetery remains today.
Hyatt Anderson Lost Town Established by Thaddeus Hyatt in 1857, and abandoned in 1860.
Hygienic Shawnee Lost Town 1901-1903
Hymer Chase Lost Town 1872-1943 Hymer was a country post office in Diamond Creek Township.

Next

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X Y  Z