Everywhere in Kansas – W

 

A  B  C  D  E  F  G   I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X Y  Z

W

Place Name County Place Type Post Office Dates More Information
Wabaunsee & Webster City Ferry Wabaunsee Lost Place Operated 1858-66 on the Kansas River; Wabaunsee Town Company, Proprietor.
Wabaunsee County Wabaunsee Current County NA One of the original 36 counties, it was established in 1855. It was first called Richardson County. Alma is the county seat.
Waca Sedgwick Lost Town
Waconda Mitchell Lost Town Platted by James W. Terry, prior to March 1871; abandoned in 1873. Later it became Waconda Springs.
Waconda Lake Mitchell Current Lake On the former site of Waconda Springs. Waconda Lake at Glen Elder State Park.
Waconda Springs Mitchell Lost Place Today it is Waconda Lake at Glen Elder State Park.
Wade, Wade’s Branch Miami Lost Town
Wadson, Woodson Marshall or Nemaha Lost Town
Wah-Wah-Suk Shawnee Lost Town Sixteen miles west of Topeka.
Wagnersville Phillips Lost Town
Wagon Bed Springs Grant Lost Place On the Santa Fe Trail.
Wakansa Douglas Lost Town None
Wakarusa Douglas Lost Town 1857-1866 Incorporated into Lawrence.
Wakefield Douglas Lost Town None
Wakeman Norton Lost Town
Walker Anderson Name Change Name changed to Mt. Gilead; now Greeley.
Walker City Douglas Lost Town None
Wall Street Linn Lost Town 1872-1902 Located about eight miles northwest of Mound City.
Wallace Wallace Current County NA Created from unorganized area in 1868. Sharon Springs is the county seat.
Walnut Butler Lost Town
Walnut City Cowley Name Change See Creswell and Delphi, former names of Arkansas City.
Walnut City Rush Lost Town
Walnut Creek Barton Lost place Station on Santa Fe Trail, 1853.
Walnut Creek Butler Lost Town
Walnut Creek Saline Lost Town
Walnut Creek Bridge Jackson Lost Place Established 1860. This bridge was actually over the Delaware River.
Walnut Creek Crossing Rush Lost Place Established in 1867 on the Fort Hays-Fort Dodge Military Road. Alexander Harvey was the proprietor of a road ranch in 1872.  Near Alexander.
Walnut Grove Doniphan Lost Town
Walnut Grove Linn Lost Town 1873-1875
Walnut Grove Mitchell Lost Town
Walnut Hill Bourbon Lost Town
Walton Osage Lost Town
Wanamaker Shawnee Name Change Name changed to Bishop in 1903.
Wano Cheyenne Lost Town Vacated 1893.
Wano Decatur Lost Town
Wanshara, Waushara Lyon Lost Town
Wanzoppea Miami Lost Town Town company incorporated 1857.
Waponsa, Waubonsa and Waupausa Wabaunsee Name Change Now Wabaunsee.
Warren Cloud Lost Town
Warrendale Grant Lost Town 1891-1901
1907-1916
A country post office located 15 miles northeast of Ulysses.
Warrenton Bourbon Lost Town
Wasea, Wasceca, Waseca Johnson Lost Town
Washburn Bourbon Name Change Changed to Edwards in 1903.
Washburne Wichita Lost Town Vacated 1897.
Washington Douglas Lost Town None Incorporated 1855. Near Big Springs on the California Trail.
Washington Osage Lost Town Santa Fe Trail crossing of 110 Creek.
Washington Shawnee Lost Town Located by Captain E. Allen, and others.
Washington County Washington Current County NA Created from unorganized area in 1857. County seat is Washington.
Washington Creek Douglas Lost Town 1873-1882
Waterford Grant Lost Town None An Irish settlement established in 1886. Located in southeast Grant County on the border with Stevens County near the Cimarron River.
Waterloo Lyon Lost Town 1858-1874 Waterloo was the first county seat in Lyon County.
Watertown Anderson Lost Town
Watertown Smith Lost Town Located 1884.
Waterville Riley Name Change Now Randolph.
Wathena & Elwood Ferry Road Doniphan Lost Place NA Cleared by Daniel Vanderslice in April 1854.
Waushara Lyon Lost Place 1858-1862
1863-1895
Located on the Santa Fe Trail, five miles west of the Lyon/Osage County line.
Wepeahu ?? Lost Town Town company incorporated 1857.
Waupego Morris Lost Town Incorporated 1858.
Waushara, Wanshara Lost Town See Wanshara.
Way Geary Lost Town Discontinued in 1882.
Way Side Rice Lost Town Discontinued 1882.
Waynesburg Greenwood Lost Town
Wea Baptist Mission Miami Lost Town One mile east of Paola.
Wealthy City Allen Lost Town
Weaver Douglas Lost Town 1891-1903 A hamlet that was located in the extreme northeastern portion of the county on the south bank of the Kansas River, about three miles northeast of Eudora.
Webb Barton Lost Town 1880-1889
Webster City Butler Lost Town Established 1873.
Webster City Pottawatomie Lost Town
Wegram Dickinson Name Change Name changed to Hope.
Weirs Johnson Lost Town
Wells Marshall Lost Town
Wendell Edwards Lost Town Vacated 1895.
West Asher Mitchell Lost Town
West Cedar Phillips Lost Town
West Creek Republic Lost Town
West Haven Stanton Lost Town Vacated 1895.
West Hope Jewell Lost Town
West Humboldt Woodson Lost Town
West Line Miami Lost Town
West Paradise Osborne Lost Town
West Point, Whiskey Point, Riley City Geary Lost Town
West Point Rush Lost Town
West Union Norton Lost Town
West Union Washington Lost Town
West Union Landing Doniphan Lost Place Established in 1846 at head of Nodaway Island 31 miles above St. Joseph on the Missouri River at the mouth of Nodaway River.
West Wichita Sedgwick Lost Town
Westfield Decatur Lost Town
Westfield McPherson Lost Town
Westfield, Muncie Wyandotte Lost Town
Westhope Jewell Lost Town
Westminster Reno Lost Town
Westola Norton Lost Town Vacated 1895.
Weston Norton Name Change Name changed to Leota, 1876.
Westopolis Geary Lost Town Chartered 1858.
Westralia Montgomery Lost Town Townsite abandoned for Parker.
Wewoka Lost Town Town company incorporated 1857
Wheatland Douglas Lost Town 1856
Wheatland McPherson Lost Town See Bachelor.
Wheatland Nemaha Paper Town A paper town located at the geographical center of the county.
Whiskey Point, West Point, Riley City Geary Lost Town
White Cloud Dickinson Lost Town
White Cloud Steam Ferry Doniphan Lost Place On the Missouri River. Taylor & Moore, 1855- 62; O. Bailey, 1862-67; Bailey & Noyes, 1868-70; John H. Lynds, 1871-1912.
White Hair’s Village Labette Name Change Name changed to Little Town, 1865. Five miles south of Oswego.
White Mound Jewell Lost Town
White Post Montgomery Lost Town
White Rock Republic Lost Town Located in March 1871; abandoned in 1885.
White Rock Trego Lost Town
White Rose Cloud Lost Town See Garly.
White Water Butler Name Change Located in 1858. Name changed to Ovo, 1882, now White Water.
Whitehall Cherokee Lost Town 1883-1887
Whitehead Doniphan Name Change Trading post in 1852. Incorporated 1855. Changed to Bellemont, 1860
Whitehead’s Ferry Doniphan Lost Place Established 1853 on the Missouri River at Whitehead, James R. Whitehead, proprietor.
White’s Quarry Marshall Lost Town
Whitfield Graham Lost Town Formerly Graham.
Whitfield Shawnee Lost Town
Whitman Ford Lost Town 1885-1889
Wichita County Wichita Current County NA Created from unorganized area in 1873. Leoti is the county seat.
Wichita Heights Sedgwick Lost Town
Wichita Indian Camp Sedgwick Lost Town On the site of Wichita.
Wiggam Lyon Lost Town None A station on the Atchison,Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad five miles east of Emporia.
Wilber Republic Lost Town
Wilburn Ford Lost Town 1885-1911 Wilburn was a country post office located 25 miles south of Dodge City.
Wilcox, Wilcox Roost Trego Lost Town 1879-1896 Wilcox was a small rural settlement located between WaKeeney and Ness City. Today, the only reminder of this small community is the historic Wilcox School.
Wild Cat Riley Lost Town
Wildcat Creek Crossing Riley Lost Place On the Fort Leavenworth-Fort Riley Military Road. The 1853 road crossed Wildcat Creek on a rock-bottom ford about two miles northwest of Manhattan.
Wild Horse Graham Lost Town 1879
Wild Range Ottawa Lost Town
Wild Rover  Cloud Lost Town
Wilda Anderson Name Change Now Welda.
Wilder Johnson Lost Town 1878-1952 The town was located along Wilder Road in the western portion of Shawnee.
Wildwood Rice Lost Town
Wilkie Crawford Lost Town 1885-1886
Williamsport Pratt Vacated 1901.
Williamsport, Port Williams Atchison Lost Town Above Kickapoo.
Williamsport Shawnee Lost Town Organized in 1857; located one mile east of Wakarusa.
Williamsville Jefferson Name Change Now Williamstown.
Willow Creek Wallace Lost Town
Willow Springs Douglas Lost Town A campsite on the Santa Fe Trail, it was a well-known watering stop. A post office called Davis was established in 1855; the name changed to Willow Springs in 1861.
Willow Springs Franklin Lost Town
Willow Springs Mitchell Name Change Now Beloit.
Willow Valley Greenwood Lost Town 1871-1887
Wilroads Ford Lost Town 1909-1922
Wilson County Wilson Current County One of the original 36 counties, it was created in 1855. The county seat is Fredonia.
Wilson Creek Ellsworth Name Change Now Wilson.
Wilson’s Pottawatomie Name Change Now Louisville.
Wilson’s Springs Douglas Lost Town None Probably Willow Springs.
Wilson’s Trading Post Leavenworth Lost Town See Salt Creek.
Wilsonville Bourbon Lost Town
Wilsonville Cherokee Lost Town 1884-1885
Wilton Greenwood Lost Town
Wilton Phillips Lost Town
Windhorst Ford Lost Town 1898-1905 Windhorst was settled by a German Catholic group in 1895.
Wingate Butler Lost Town
Winkler’s Mills Riley Name Change Now Winkler.
Winnesheik McPherson Lost Town
Winona Doniphan Lost Town
Winsor Cowley Lost Town
Winsor Ottawa Lost Town
Winston Ellsworth Lost Town 1883-1887 Moved from Bradley Springs in 1883.
Wirtonia Cherokee Lost Town Vacated 1870.
Woburn Jackson Lost Town
Wolf River Crossing Doniphan Lost Place NA The crossing of the Wolf River was on the St. Joseph and California road. It was in the southeast corner of the county. The Sac & Fox Indians operated a toll bridge 1849- 53. A trading post called Iola was located on the west side in about 1856. It was described by one man in 1850 as “little more than a collection of logs in a ravine.”
Woodberry Reno Lost Town 1878-1887
Woodey Lincoln Lost Town 1874-1888
Woodhull Chase Lost Town
Woodlawn Nemaha Lost Town 1881-1906 During the summer of 1881, W. L. Challis selected a fine, natural site, in Capioma Township.
Woodsdale Stevens Lost Town Located June 6, 1887, abandoned in 1893; named in honor of S.N. Wood, who was the chief founder. This site is to be used on the Colmor cut-off of the Santa Fe Trail.
Woodson Marshall or Nemaha Lost Town Incorporated 1857. Located on the Vermillion branch of the Big Blue River.
Woodson County Woodson Current County NA One of the original 36 counties, it was created in 1855. Yates Center is the county seat.
Woodstock Jefferson Lost Town 1871-1873
1874-1891
Woodstock was the location of the second post office in Sarcoxie Township.
Woodward’s Ferry Saline Lost Place NA Operated 1864-67 at the mouth of Saline River; James J. Woodward, proprietor.
Worden Douglas Lost Town 1884-1904 Also spelled  Warden, this was a hamlet located in the south-central part of the county about seven miles west of Baldwin City. In 1910 the population was 26.
Wray’s Allen Lost Town Voting precinct, 1858.
Wyandotte Wyandotte Name Change Name changed to Kansas City, Kansas., 1886.
Wyandotte County Wyandotte Current County NA Formed from Leavenworth and Johnson Counties in 1859. Kansas City is the county seat.
Wyckoff Lyon 1885-1902
Wymer Leavenworth Lost Town 1880 The post office was only open for two months.
Wyola Lyon Lost Town Incorporated 1857
Wyoming Shawnee Lost Town On the Fort Leavenworth-Fort Riley Military Road near Meridan.
Wyoming Crossing Marshall Lost Place NA Crossing of Irish Creek on the Parallel Road near Vermillion. Probably the Gilliam Company campsite, June 4, 1844.
Wyoming Valley Clay Lost Town

A  B  C  D  E  F  G   I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X Y  Z