Everyplace in Kansas – P-Q

Western University in Quindaro, Kansas.

Western University in Quindaro, Kansas.

A  B  C  D  E  F  G   I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X Y  Z

P

Place Name County Place Type Post Office Dates More Information
Pacific City Douglas Lost Town
Pacific City Nemaha Lost Town None Pacific City was established in 1856.
Padonia Brown Lost Town 1857-1933 Amazingly, this tiny place that has been extinct for so long still has grain silos, a couple of buildings, and a few area homes.
Page City Logan On the Kansas Pacific Railroad.
Pageton Trego Lost Town
Paint Creek Bourbon Lost Town 1874-1884 It was seven miles south of Uniontown in Marion Township. The first postmaster was Alfred Monsur.
Painted Post Barber Lost Town 1878-1882
Painterhood Elk Lost Town
Palacky Ellsworth Lost Town 1877-1905
Palatine Ellis Lost Town 1880-1897
Palco Rooks Current Town
Palermo Doniphan Lost Town 1855-1904 An early riverfront town located in Marion Township. Frank Mahan first postmaster. At one time it had stores, a bank, a newspaper, churches, a mill, and a lawyer.
Palermo Ferry Doniphan Lost Place Established on the Missouri River in 1855, about 2.5 miles southwest of Wathena.
Palestine Sumner Lost Town 1871-1873 It was four and half miles north and two and a half miles west of Oxford at 1500 E. 60th Ave North.
Palmer Washington Current Town Named for J. Palmer, educator.
Palmetto Marshall Lost Town None Palmetto was incorporated in 1857. It was the north half of Marysville.
Palmyra Butler Lost Town 1876-1900 In Murdock Township.
Palmyra/Baldwin Douglas Name Change Now Baldwin.
Palo Alto Neosho Lost Town
Pansy Franklin Lost Town 1898-1902
Pansy Gray Name Change Name changed to Loyal.
Paola Miami Current Town County seat. The name came from Baptiste Peoria. The town was first called Baptiste Spring. It changed to Paola. In 1856 Paola was in the center of the Bleeding Kansas border war. In 1860, the first oil well West of MississippiRver was discovered at Paola.
Papin’s Ferry Shawnee Lost Place Established in 1842 on the Kansas River at Topeka, Kansas. Joseph Papin, Proprietor.
Paola Miami Current Town County seat. Got its start as a pro-slavery stronghold.
Papin’s Toll Bridge Shawnee Lost Place Established in about 1847 over Shunganunga Creek. Joseph Papin, Proprietor.
Parallel Riley Lost Town
Paradise Russell Current Town
Paris Lincoln Lost Town 1878-1898
Paris Linn Lost Town 1870 Paris got was a rallying point for pro-slavery men during the Kansas-Missouri Border War.
Park, Buffalo Park Gove Current Town On the Kansas Pacific Railroad.
Park City/Cosmosa Sedgwick Lost Town 1870-1876 The name changed from Cosmosa to Park City on April 21, 1871.
Parker Linn Lost Town Named for J. W. Parker, postmaster.
Parker Montgomery Lost Town 1869-1876
1879-1882
1883-1888
It was established in the fall of 1869 by H. N. Martin and Colonel D. T. Parker, after whom it was named.
Parkerfield Cowley Current Town
Parker’s/Skiddy Morris Name Change Now Skiddy, a ghost town.
Parker’s Grove Hodgeman Lost Town See Clawson.
Parkersburg Montgomery Lost Town
Parkerville Morris Ghost Town Located on the Neosho River in Parker Township. It was  incorporated in February1871 by C. G. Parker, the townsite owner. Was on the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway.
Pardee Atchison Lost Town 1858-1903 Pardee was one of the oldest settlements in Atchison County. It was established by Caleb May in October 1854.
Park’s Fort or Old Ogallah Trego Lost Town Moved to site of Trego about 1870; name changed to Trego in 1876; moved to WaKeeney in 1878.
Parnell Atchison Lost Town 1883-1923 Situated on both the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad and the Missouri Pacific Railroad, the town was platted in December 1883.
Parnell Junction Atchison Lost Place In Mount Pleasant Township.
Parrott’s Ferry Doniphan Lost Place NA Established in 1846 on the Missouri River about four miles above St. Joseph, Missouri at Wathena. It later became Wathena Landing.
Pasadena Finney Lost Town
Parsons Labette Current Town Located east of Independence; named for Judge Levi Parsons, promoter and president of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway. Was incorporated in 1871.
Partridge Reno Current Town On the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad in 1887.
Patenville Gray Lost Town Vacated 1893.
Patmos Coffey Lost Town 1890-1902
Patty’s Mill Lyon Lost Town 1870-1871
Pauline Shawnee It was on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.
Pavilion Wabaunsee
Pawnee Bourbon
Pawnee Geary Lost Town 1855 Incorporated in 1855 by the Bogus Legislature. The post office was established on March 3, 1855, with Fox Booth as postmaster. Pawnee was the first county seat of Riley County and the first territorial capital of Kansas.
Pawnee County Pawnee Current County NA Created from unorganized area in 1867. Larned is the county seat.
Pawnee Fork, Fort Larned Pawnee Historic Site National Historic Site
Pawnee Ferry Geary Lost Place NA Established in 1855 on the Kansas River between Pawnee and Riley City, Fox B. Booth, proprietor.
Pawnee Rock Barton Current Town On the Santa Fe Trail and the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.
Pawnee Rock Landmark Barton Historic Site None A landmark located near Fort Larned in the Pawnee buffalo hunting territory; named for an Indian battle between the Pawnee and Comanche. A natural fortress on the Santa Fe Trail, it became known as the “Prairie Citadel.”
Pawnee Station Bourbon Lost Town 1871-1945
Pawnee Valley Hodgeman Lost Town
Paw Paw Elk Lost Town 1872-1890
Pavilion Wabaunsee Lost Town
Paxico Wabaunsee Current Town On the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad in 1887.
Paxson Lost Town 1885-1887
Payne Sedgwick Lost Town 1884 The post office was only open for a month.
Peabody Marion Current Town On the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad, it was named after F.H. Peabody, the vice of the railroad in 1875.
Peace Rice Name Change Now Sterling.
Peace Creek Barton Lost Town
Peace Creek Reno Lost Town 1876-1905 Was located at the headwaters of Peace Creek, 28 miles west of Hutchinson.
Peach Creek Washington Lost Town
Peach Grove Clay Lost Town
Peacock Cherokee Lost Town 1901 The post office was only open for eight months.
Pearl Dickinson Lost Town 1883-1935 Located on the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad, it was 12 miles southeast of Abilene. In 1910, it had a grain elevator, telegraph and express offices, a money order post office, and a population of 35.
Pearlette Meade Lost Town Established 1889.
Peck Sedgwick
Pedagogen
Pekin Reno Lost Town 1897-1905 It was located 15 miles west of Hutchinson. The population in 1910 was 40.
Penalosa Kingman Extinct Town -1990 The post office closed on April 28, 1990.
Pence Scott Named for John W. Pence, postmaster.
Pendell Butler Lost Town
Penfield Labette Lost Town
Penfield Osage Lost Town 1885-1888 The post office was open for six months before an order of change was rescinded in February 1886.
Penitentiary Leavenworth Name Change Now Lansing.
Penn Osborne Name Change Changed to Osborne 1873.
Penokee Graham Extinct Town 1882-2008 The post office closed on March 15, 2008.
Peoria Franklin  Lost Town 1857-1934 The first county seat of Franklin County. It was six miles east of Ottawa. The old Briles one-room school remains.
Pendell Butler  Lost Town 1871-1880
Penseneau, Ponsino Leavenworth Lost Town On the Fort Leavenworth and Oregon Road.
Pentheka Rawlings Name Change The name changed to Oak Ranch in 1903.
Peoria Village Miami Name Change The name changed to Paola in 1856.
Peotone Sedgwick Lost Town
Perkins Montgomery Lost Town 1890-1893
Perris Elk or Chautauqua Lost Town
Perry Jefferson Current Town On the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad and the Kansas Pacific Railroad.
Perth Sumner Lost Town 1882-1954 It was located in Downs Township on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe, and the Chicago and Rock Island Railroads, 12 miles southwest of Wellington.
Peru Allen Lost Town 1858 The post office was open for less than four months before moving to Xenia.
Peru Chautauqua Current Town
Peru/Osborne Osborne Name Change The name changed to Osborne.
Peters, Petersburg, Edwards Name Change Now Kinsley.
Petersburg Doniphan Lost Town 1858-1859 Established by Peter Cadue, a Kickapoo trader, in 1857. A. Daugherty, postmaster. Vacated 1863 by Kansas Legislature.
Petersburg Leavenworth Lost Town 1865-1875 Named for Peter Cadue. The post office moved to Lansing.
Petersville Cherokee Lost Town Name changed to Lostine.
Peterton Osage Lost Town 1876-1904 A coal-mining town and a station on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad four miles north of Osage City.
Petosi, Potosi Linn Lost Town Incorporated 1857, two miles east of Pleasanton.
Petrea Lost Town Town company incorporated in 1857.
Petrolia Allen Extinct Town 1905-1953 Only houses are left today.
Peytonville Brown Lost Town
Pfeifer Ellis Current Town -2010 The post office closed on August 28, 2010.
Phila Johnson Lost Town 1890-1894
1898-1899
This small town was located somewhere bear DeSoto and Lexington.
Phillips County Phillips Current County NA Created from unorganized area in 1867. Phillipsburg is the county seat.
Phillipsburg Phillips Current Town Named after Colonel William A. Phillips, commander of an Indian home guard regiment during the Civil War.
Phil Sheridan Wallace Lost Town See Sheridan, Logan County.
Pickwick Greeley Lost Town 1887 The post office was only open for six months.
Piedmont Greenwood On the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad.
Pierce Anderson Lost Town Incorporated 1857.
Pierce Junction Brown Lost Town 1888-1914 A station at the junction of the Missouri Pacific and Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroads in the southeast corner of the county, it was located 15 miles from Hiawatha.
Pierceville Finney Extinct Town -1992 On the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad. The post office closed on April 11, 1992.
Pillsbury Crossing Wabaunsee Lost Place NA At Deep Creek on the Manhattan & Wabaunsee Road; Josiah Pillsbury, proprietor. Deep Creek was settled in 1854 by a colony from New England which included Horace A. W. Tabor. Tabor later moved to Colorado and made a fortune in silver. Near SR 18. 1.8 miles west of Wabaunsee.
Pilsen Marion
Pine Grove Butler Lost Town 1874-1895 In Rock Creek Township.
Pinon Lincoln Lost Town 1879-1888 The post office moved from Battle Creek.
Pioneer Johnson Lost Town 1897-1900 Located on one of the creek tributaries of the Kansas River, about seven miles northwest of Olathe.
Pioneer Rush Lost Town 1878-1893
Pipe Creek Lost Town Overland station.
Pipe Creek Ottawa Lost Town
Piper Wyandotte Extinct Town 1888-1971 Piper was located west of Kansas City, Kansas just off K-7 near Leavenworth Road at 110th. Once a railroad town it was named for a railway official. Annexed by Kansas City in 1991.
Piqua Woodson Current Town Piqua is located two miles into Woodson County, west of the Allen County line. It was on the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway.
Pittsburg Crawford Current Town The name came from a coal region of Pennsylvania. It was founded in the 1870s as a mining camp. In 1878 Robert Layton established a zinc smelter. In 1903 Pittsburg State University was established as the Auxiliary Manual Training Normal School. The town was platted by Franklin Playter in May 1876. However, there was already a town named Pittsburg in Mitchell County. So this town was named New Pittsburg, until 1880 when an agreement was made with W. A. Pitts, the founder of the Mitchell County Pittsburg to use the name. His was changed to Tipton.
Pittsburg Mitchell Name Change Now Tipton. Originally named for W. A. Pitt, treasurer of the local town company.
Pittsburgh Doniphan Lost Town
Pittsburg Ferry Pottawatomie Lost Place At two-story stone house that stood for many years was probably the Pikes Peak Express stage station in 1859. Near US 24 on Big Blue River opposite Manhattan.
Pittsville Cherokee Lost Town
Pixley Barber Lost Town 1892-1897 Pixley was on the rail just about 3-5 miles southeast of Medicine Lodge.
Pitzer Mines
Plainfield Cloud Lost Town
Plains Meade Current Town Also called West Plains, it was on the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad in 1887.
Plainville Rooks Current Town
Platte Valley Finney
Pleasant Dale, Pleasant Dale, Lieblichdorp Rush Lost Town 1878-1895 Primarily a German-Russian settlement, it was established about 1877. Lieblichdorp is German for Pleasant Dale.
Pleasant Grove Douglas Lost Town 1879-1900 A few homes and buildings remain in the area. Now a suburb of Lawrence.
Pleasant Grove Greenwood Lost Town 1857-1874
Pleasant Hill Osborne Lost Town 1886-1902
Pleasant Ridge Leavenworth Lost Town 1862-1895 It was located in Kickapoo Township in the northwestern portion of the county, eight miles distant from Leavenworth. Christian Moser, postmaster. At one point, it had two churches.
Pleasant Run Pottawatomie Lost Town 1870-1886 In the early 1880s, the town had a general store run by George W. Duncan.
Pleasant Spring/Granada Nemaha First called Pleasant Spring in 1855 then changed to Granada.
Pleasant Valley Coffey Lost Town Chartered 1858.
Pleasant Valley Lincoln Lost Town
Pleasanthill Franklin Lost Town 1898-1902 The post office moved from Garlington.
Pleasanton Linn Current Town Founded in July 1869. The name changed from Potosi to Pleasanton. It was named for General Alfred Pleasanton who defeated the Confederates in the Battle of Mine Creek.
Pleasantview, Pleasant View Cherokee Lost Town 1866-1903 County seat in 1866. The name changed from Pleasant View to Pleasantview in 1877. Was located 11 miles northeast of Columbus.
Plevna Reno Current Town 1877-2011 The post office closed on March 26, 2011.
Pliny Saline Lost Town Absorbed by Gypsum City.
Ploughboy, Plow Boy Shawnee Name Change Name changed to Redpath 1881
Plum Logan Lost Town 1904-1906
Plum Buttes Rice Lost Town On the Santa Fe Trail.
Plum Creek Jefferson Lost Town 1869-1871
Plum Grove Atchison Lost Town 1862-1868 The post office moved to Oak Mills in January 1868.
Plum Grove Butler Lost Town 1870-1888 In Plum Grove Township.
Plumb Chase Lost Town 1899-1900
Plumb Lyon Lost Town 1878-1896
Plumb Creek Phillips Lost Town
Plumb Station Jackson Lost Town
Plymouth Nemaha Lost Town NA James Redpath and 300 free state settlers joined Preston B. Plumb and approximately 30 men at this point in September 1856. It was a rendezvous point on Lanes Trail. Located on the south bank of Pony Creek about 2.5 miles north of Morrill.
Plympton Dickinson Lost Town 1879-1888
Poheta Saline Lost Town
Point of Rocks Morton Historic Place On the Cimarron Branch of the Santa Fe Trail.
Point View Pawnee Lost Place 1879-1912 A country post office, it was located 11 miles southeast of Larned.
Poland Chase Lost Town
Poleska, Poliska Riley Lost Town Located 1854. Now part of Manhattan.
Polo Cowley Lost Town
Pomeroy Wyandotte Lost Town 1869-1906 The next station southeast of Connors, it was platted in the spring of 1871. In the early 1880s, it had several stores and a steam, flour, and sawmill.
Pomona Franklin Current Town
Pond City, Pond Creek Wallace Name Change Later Fort Wallace. See Camp Pond Creek.
Poney Creek Brown Lost Town
Ponsino, Pensineau Leavenworth Lost Town On Fort Leavenworth Road and the Oregon Trail.
Pontiac Butler Lost Town 1873-1926 In Prospect Township.
Pontoon Sumner Lost Town 1879-1880
Pony Creek Brown Lost Town 1858-1861
Pop Corn Osage Lost Town 1874-1890
Pope Leavenworth Lost Town 1890-1893
Poplar Hill Dickinson Lost Town 1875-1889
Port Byron Sheridan Lost Town
Port Landis Morton Lost Town
Port William Atchison Lost Town 1856-1860 Founded by pro-slavery men, it was incorporated by the Bogus Legislature in 1855. The town furnished 81 members of the “Port William Sharpe’s Rifles” to the Kansas Militia in October 1856. Located halfway between Atchison and Leavenworth on the Missouri River, it faded as its competitors grew.
Portage Rooks Lost Town
Porter’s Ranch Smith Lost Town
Porterville Bourbon Lost Town 1882-1905 It was located in the southwest corner of the county. Levi G. Porter was the first postmaster, and the post office was located in his home along with a general store. In 1910 the population was 20.
Portis Osborne Was first named Bethany but changed to Portis because the Missouri Pacific Railroad already had a Bethany on its line in Missouri. It was named for a vice president of the railroad.
Portland Sumner Lost Town 1886-1940 It was located in Guelph Township on the Kansas Southwestern Railroad 15 miles southeast of Wellington.
Post Creek Wabaunsee
Potomac Linn Lost Town 1882 The post office lasted only three months.
Potosi Linn Lost Town 1859-1869 The settlement got its start in 1856 when a town company, comprised of all pro-slavery men, laid out the townsite.
Pottawatomie Coffey Lost Town 1882-1906 Pottawatomie was surveyed in the spring of 1858. It was six miles northwest of Westphalia.
Pottawatomie City Anderson Lost Town Located in 1857; changed to Mt. Gilead, now Greeley.
Pottawatomie County Pottawatomie Current County NA Formed from Calhoun and Riley Counties in 1857. Westmoreland is the county seat.
Potter Atchison Ghost Town 1865-2009 Was close to Leavenworth. The post office closed on May 16, 2009.
Pottersburg Lincoln Lost Town 1870-1904 Pottersburg, sometimes spelled Pottersburgh, was laid out and platted by A. S. Potter in June 1874.
Potwin Butler Current Town
Powellsburgh Clay Lost Town
Powhatan Brown Current Town First named Locknane as a Central Overland California and Pike’s Peak Express stage station.
Powhatan Nemaha Lost Town 1857-1867 Powhatan got its start in September 1856. Twenty years later, in 1887, another town with the same name was established about ten miles to the northeast
Powhatan Nemaha Current Town Located in 1887 about ten miles north of the first Powhatan when the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad was constructed.
Prag Rawlins Lost Town Was located seven miles below the forks of the Beaver River, near Ludell.
Prairie
Prairie Center Johnson Lost Town 1872-1902 A village in the western part of  the county, it was also known as “Bear Paw” or “Bear Foot.” Was contained within the lands that the government took over for the Sunflower Ordnance Plant during WWII.
Prairie City Douglas Lost Town Incorporated 1858, second incorporation 1859. Located on the Humboldt Trail. This early-day settlement was southwest of Baldwin.
Prairie City Osage Lost Town On the Santa Fe Trail.
Prairie Dog Creek Norton Lost Place Was Station 15 on the Leavenworth & Pike’s Peak Express.
Prairie du Chien Ness Lost Town Plat filed in 1869.
Prairie Grove Republic Lost Town
Prairie Home Republic Lost Town
Prairie Plain Republic Lost Town
Prairie Springs Campsite Brown Lost Place Emigrant campsite at the head of Roy’s Creek on the St. Joseph’s Branch of the Oregon Trail. Near 240th Street about 4.5 miles east of Hiawatha.
Prairie View Jefferson Lost Town 1872-1873
Prairie Village Johnson Current Town
Pratt Pratt Current Town County seat. In 1884 it was founded on a site that was once the hunting grounds of Kiowa Indians. It was on the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad in 1887.
Pratt County Pratt Current County Created from unorganized area in 1867. Pratt is the county seat. The county was named for Caleb Pratt, Second Lieutenant in the Second Kansas Cavalry, who was killed at the Battle of Wilson’s Creek.
Prescott Linn Current Town Originally called Coal Center; platted by James Skinner.
Prescott Osage Lost Town Located 1860.
Preston Pratt Current Town -1990 It was on the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad in 1887. It is about 30 miles from Pratt. The post office closed on April 28, 1990.
Pretty
Pretty Prairie Reno Current Town
Price Nemaha Lost Town 1895-1906 It was a station on the St. Joseph & Grand Island Railroad.
Pride Barton Lost Town 1879-1883
Princeton Franklin Current Town
Princeville Cloud Lost Town
Prospect Republic Lost Town
Prosper Ellsworth Lost Town 1874-1887 Was also in Rice County for a time (site moved).
Prosper Rice Located in Farmer Township it was Bushton’s rival.
Proston Pawnee Lost Town 1878-1883
Protection Comanche Current Town Harvey Titus Rayl was the proprietor of the post office store in about 1876.
Providence Butler Lost Town 1881-1896
Provo Greenwood Lost Town 1897-1901 A hamlet in the eastern part of Greenwood County.
Purcell Doniphan Extinct Town 1887-1956 Named for John Purcell, pioneer. Still home to active 1896 St. Mary’s Catholic Church.
Purcell Sumner Lost Town 1885-1887 The post office moved to Anson.
Purity Reno Lost Town 1880-1893
Putnam Barton Lost Town 1878-1883
Quaker Point Jewell Lost Town
Quaker Valley
Quakerville Cherokee Lost Town 1880-1887
Quarry Marion Lost Town 1888-1897 Quarry had a railroad station and limestone rock quarry. It was approximately 5.5 miles north of Marion.
Queen City Coffey Lost Town
Queen Valley Reno Lost Town 1871-1872 The post office was only open for seven months.
Quenemo Osage Current Town
Quickville Lost Town 1880-1909
Quincy Greenwood Ghost Town It was on the Benedict Branch of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.
Quindaro Wyandotte Lost Town 1857-1909
1921-1954
Now part of Kansas City. The 70.5-acre Quindaro Townsite is now a National Commemorative Site and an archaeological district.
Quinter Gove Current Town Was on the Kansas Pacific Railroad between Colyer and Park just off
highway 70.
Quinton Heights Shawnee Lost Town 1889-1895
1897-1899
Quito Butler Lost Town 1870-1881
Quivera Wyandotte  Lost Town 1889-1896

Next

A  B  C  D  E  F  G   I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X Y  Z