Every Place in Kansas – D

Dodge City, Kansas Cowboy Silhouette by Kathy Alexander.

Dodge City, Kansas Cowboy Silhouette by Kathy Alexander.

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X Y  Z

D

Place Name County Place Type Post Office Dates More Information
Dafer Leavenworth Lost Town 1884-1900
Daisy Leavenworth Lost Town 1882-1886
Dalby Atchison Lost Town
Dalhart Lost Town On the Southern Pacific Railroad.
Dallas Norton Lost Town
Dalrymple Mitchell Lost Town Discontinued 1882.
Dalton Neosho (see Kimball). On the Missouri Pacific Railroad.
Dalton Sumner Lost Town 1885-1939 Located in Avon Township, it was a station on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad, seven miles east of Wellington.
Damar Rooks Current Town
Damorris Morris Lost Town
Danube Rawlins Name Change Now Ludell.
Danville Harper Current Town
Danville Mitchell Lost Town
Darien Cowley Lost Town
Darling’s Ferry, Pottawatomie National Ferry Wabaunsee Lost Place NA Ferry was established in 1850 on the Kansas River. Lucius Darling, proprietor, John L. Ogee was the operator. Also known as Pottawatomie National Ferry, it was funded by the Federal government from treaty funds.
Darlington Harvey Lost Town
Damorris Morris Lost Town 1880-1887 The post office moved to Dwight in 1887.
Darlow/Booth Reno Lost Town 1890-1935 The name changed to Darlow on October 2, 1900. It was a station on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad eight miles south of Hutchinson. In 1910, it had an express office, a money order post office with one rural route, and a population of 75.
Darwin Doniphan Lost Town
Davis, Willow Springs Douglas Lost Town 1855-1900 The post office was established on February 26, 1855; the name changed to Willow Springs on July 28, 1861.
Davis’ Crossing Jewell Lost Place  The crossing of Buffalo Creek 1869 on the Parallel Road, A.J. Davis, proprietor
Dawson’s Ford Leavenworth Lost Place NA Established about 1851 on Stranger Creek at present Easton on the Fort Leavenworth-Fort Riley Military Road. Armistead Dawson, proprietor. Dawson freighted supplies for U.S. Army to Fort Laramie, Wyoming, in 1851 and Fort Union, New Mexico, in 1854.
Dayton Bourbon Lost Town 1858-1887 Located in the southern part of Timber Hill Township, it was named for Dayton, Ohio. It was incorporated in February 1860.
Dayton Dickinson Lost Town 1895-1917 A station on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, it was located in Jefferson Township, 16 miles south of Abilene. In 1910, it had a money order post office, telephone connections, several general stores, a creamery, flour mills, and a population of 40.
Dayton Douglas Lost Town
Dayton or Daytonville Labette Lost Town
Dayton Shawnee Lost Town
De Graff Butler Lost Town 1887-1942 A small hamlet of Lincoln Township, it was a station on the  Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.
De Soto Johnson County
Deadwood
Dean Jefferson Lost Town 1892-1901 Dean was a small inland settlement about six miles south of Oskaloosa.
Dean Reno Lost Town 1881-1886
Deanolia Brown Lost Town
Deanville Nemaha Lost Town North of Souther. The post office was only open for two months.
Dearing Montgomery Current Town Named after a pioneer.
Debolt Labette Lost Town
Deborah Morris Lost Town Now Dunlap.
Decatur Decatur Lost Town 1879 Platted in June 1879. Abandoned in 1881.
Decatur County Decatur Current County   Created from unorganized area, 1873. The county seat is Oberlin
Decora Lyon Lost Town 1859-1862 Also spelled Decorrah.
Decorrah Morris Lost Town
Deep Creek Clay Lost Town
Deep Hole Comanche Lost Town
Deep Hole Redoubt, Cimarron Redoubt Clark Lost Place NA This was an improvised U.S. Army fortification south of the city of Ashland that was built in 1870 near a major trade route’s crossing of the Cimarron River. It was built during the Comanche War, fought between 1867 and 1875, to protect traffic on the Fort Supply/Fort Dodge Trail..
Deerfield Kearny Current Town On the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.
Deerhead Barber Lost Town 1885-1923  Located in Deerhead Township, in Indian Creek Valley ten miles south of Lake City.
Deerton Labette Name Change Now Valeda.
Deighton
Defiance Woodson Name Change Now Yates Center.
Delano Sedgwick Extinct Town 1871-1876
1879-1880
Once another rowdy Kansas cowtown, it is now a historic neighborhood of Wichita in Sedgwick County.
Delavan Clay Lost Town
Delavan Morris Ghost Town
Delaware Wyandotte Lost Town P. O. established 1849; changed to Secondine, 1856; abolished 1859. It was on the Kansas River, ten miles from its mouth.
Delaware City Leavenworth Lost Town 1856-1878 Delaware City was founded in the summer of 1854.
Delaware City Shawnee Name Change Name changed to Rochester.
Delaware Ferry Leavenworth Lost Place NA Established in 1855 on the Missouri River at Delaware City. John Van Vranklin, proprietor.
Delhi Osborne Lost Town
Delia Jackson Current Town -2017 The post office closed on November 18, 2017.
Delight Ellsworth Lost Town 1877-1921 A country post office located in Mulberry Township, near the northeast corner of the county, about 15 miles from Ellsworth and about five miles north of Carneiro.
Delila Ellsworth Lost Town 1875-1875 The post office was only open for three months. It then moved to Trivoli.
Dell Lyon Lost Town 1881-1883
1885-1890
Dell was 3.5 miles east and 3.5 miles north of Americus.
Della Clay Name Change Now Morganville.
Delmont Anderson Lost Town 1870 The post office was only open for about eight months.
Delmore McPherson Lost Town
Delphi Cowley Name Change Now Arkansas City, See Creswell and Walnut City.
Delphoe Cloud Lost Town
Delphos Ottawa Current Town
Delray Osage Lost Town  1879 The post office was open for ten months.
Delta Jewell Lost Town Located about two miles northeast of Montrose (on US Hwy 36 and the R.R.). It died when it was bypassed by the railroad. Some of the buildings were moved to Montrose.
Duluth Pottawatomie Extinct Town 1912-1986 Still has several homes and an active church.
Dema Atchison Lost Town
Denison Jackson Current Town
Dennis Labette Named for the townsite owner.
Dennison Franklin Lost Town 1865-1868
Denmark Lincoln Extinct Town 1872-1904
1917-1954
One of the first permanent settlements in Lincoln County, it was settled about 1869 by Danish Lutherans
Densmore Norton John T. Densmore, town founder
Denton Doniphan Current Town Named for Moses, John, and William Denton, town promoters.
Dentonia Jewell P.O. from 1882 until 1903, when it was discontinued.
Derby Sedgwick Current Town
Dermot Stevens Lost Town Vacated 1893; now Dermot, in Morton County
Derry Elk Lost Town
Derry Greenwood Lost Town 1883-1896
Desire Reno Lost Town 1877-1878
Detroit Dickinson Extinct Town 1866-1961 A station on the Union Pacific Railroad, it was located in Center Township, six miles east of Abilene. In 1910, it had a money order post office with two rural routes, a graded public school, telegraph and express offices, telephone connections, general stores, and a population of 142.
Devil’s Elbow Crossing Lost Place NA Crossing of Elbo Creek on Fort Leavenworth-Fort Riley Military Road east of Manhattan. The name was applied by Army teamsters to describe the sharp turn in the road, which was difficult for 4 and 6 mule government teams to negotiate. Elbo Creek was originally called “Sargent’s Creek.”
Dewdrop Lincoln Lost Town 1899-1902 A small settlement about eight miles northwest of Lincoln, the nearest railroad station. The population in 1910 was 20.
Devon/Mill Creek Bourbon Lost Town 1860-1989 Mill Creek was founded in 1860 and named for a nearby creek. Wiley Bolinger was the postmaster. In 1889, the town moved closer to the railroad and was renamed Devon for Devon, England.
Dewitt Washington Lost Town
Dexter Cowley Current Town
Diamond Centre Chase Lost Town 1876 The post office was open for less than four months.
Diamond Creek Chase Lost Town None In Diamond Creek Township, Englishman George Osmer and his family and others were living there in 1865.
Diamond Springs Morris Lost Town Overland station five miles north of present Diamond Springs. Discovered by Ben Jones when the Santa Fe Trail was first surveyed in 1825.
Diana Sedgwick Lost Town 1878-1881
Dickinson County Dickinson Current County NA  Created in 1857 from unorganized area. Abilene is the county seat.
Dickeyville Phillips Lost Town
Dighton Lane Current Town The county seat of Lane County.
Dildine Wilson Lost Town 1892-1900 Located in the extreme northeastern corner of the county, 21 miles from Fredonia and about five miles north of Vilas, the nearest railroad station. After its post office closed, it received its mail from Chanute in Neosho County.
Dillon Dickinson Extinct Town 1872-1944 A station on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, it was on the line between Jefferson and Ridge Townships, about 16 miles south of Abilene. The railroad’s name was Swayne Station. In 1910, it had a money order post office with one rural route, a creamery, a flour mill, some well-stocked general stores, express and telegraph service, telephone connections, Methodist and Presbyterian churches, a good public school building, and a population of 161.
Dimon Leavenworth Lost Town 1868-1883 North of Stanwood; located in 1868.
Discord Brown Lost Town 1874-1881
Dispatch/Rotterdam Smith Lost Town Settled in 1881 by Dutch immigrants. It was originally called Rotterdam, and until WWI the official language of the church was Dutch. A small cemetery remains.
Divide Anderson Name Change The name changed to Colony.
Dix Morris Lost Town 1883-1886
Dixon/Woodward Butler Lost Town 1877-1888 The name changed from Woodward to Dixon on December 18, 1878. It was on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.
Dixon Coffey Lost Town 1872-1878
Doby Grant Lost Town 1908-1916 Doby was located on the south fork of the Cimarron River about four miles above its mouth and 15 miles southeast of Ulysses.
Dodge City Ford Current Town County seat. On the Santa Fe Trail. In 1871 the first settler was H. L. Sitler. Named after Fort Dodge.
Dolespark McPherson On the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad in 1887.
Donald Washington Lost Town
Donegal Dickinson Lost Town 1895-1906 It was located in Turkey Creek Valley, about 12 miles south of Abilene. In 1910, the population was 70.
Doniphan Doniphan Ghost Town 1855-1943 A ghost town located in southeast Doniphan County along the Missouri River.
Doniphan County Doniphan Current County NA One of the original 36 counties, it was established in 1855. Troy is the county seat.
Donmeyer Saline Name Change Now New Cambria.
Donneganna Riley Lost Town 1871 Post office open only for three months.
Donner Station Saline Lost Town P. O. 1868.
Dora Labette Lost Town
Dorcas Nemaha Lost Town 1877-1882 Area post office.
Dorrance Russell Current Town On the Kansas Pacific Railroad 1867.
Doster Sumner Lost Town 1878-1902 A station on the Kansas Southwestern Railroad six miles west and half miles north of Caldwell at 1500 South Bluff Road.
Douglas Douglas Lost Town Incorporated 1855. It was on the Kansas River, ten miles above Lawrence. The land was owned by slave owner Paris Ellison. The site was too close to Lecompton, and by May 1857, it had dwindled to one house.
Douglas Linn Lost Town
Douglas County Douglas Current County NA One of the original 36 counties, it was created in 1855. Lawrence is the county seat.
Douglass Butler Current Town
Dover Shawnee
Dow Creek Lyon Lost Town 1873-1874 Dow Creek was ten miles west and one mile north of Reading.
Dowell
Downer Station/Fort Downer Trego Lost Place None A stage station and fort located on the Smoky Hill Trail.
Downing Morris Lost Town
Downs Osborne Current Town Named for William F. Downs
Doyle Marion Lost Town 1866-1871
Dragoon Creek/Dragoon Grove Osage Lost Town 1873-1900 On Santa Fe Trail, west of Burlingame.
Dresden Decatur Current Town -2008 The post office closed on December 20, 2008.
Drury Sumner Lost Town 1884-1921 Located in Falls Township, it was a station on the Kansas Southwestern Railroad about 20 miles south of Wellington.
Dry Creek Cherokee Lost Town
Dry Creek Sedgwick Name Change 1871-1872
Dry Ridge Bourbon Lost Town 1880-1881 Located northeast of Bronson, the first postmaster was Henry Miller. The post office was located in his home.
Drywood Crawford Lost Town 1894-1915 Crawford County had a Drywood Creek and a post office named Drywood.
Duane Washington Lost Town Located in the northwest corner of the county.
Dublin Sumner Lost Town 1885-1887 The post office moved to Zyba.
Dubuque Russell  Lost Town 1879-1909 A small village in Center Township, it was located near the head of Beaver Creek. In 1910, its population was 26, and it received its mail via rural delivery from Dorrance. It was about 20 miles southeast of Russell.
Dudley Osborne Lost Town
Duluth Pottawatomie Ghost Town 1912-1986 Several homes and an active church. The post office closed on March 1, 1986.
Dun Wilson Lost Town 1879-1905 A station on the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad eight miles southeast of Fredonia and four miles from Neodesha, from which place it received its mail after its post office closed. The railroad’s name was Lazarus station.
Dunavant Jefferson Lost Town 1888-1932 Seven miles southeast of Valley Falls.
Duncan’s Crossing Hodgeman Lost Place 1875-1913 Crossing of Pawnee Fork on the Fort Hays-Fort Dodge Military Road. John O’Laughlin operated a ranch here in about 1868, selling to George Duncan in 1871. Duncan built a large log house and log stockade with a corduroy bridge. George Duncan, postmaster.
Duncan’s Ferry Doniphan Lost Place NA Established in 1849 on the Missouri River four miles above St. Joseph on the St. Joseph & California Road. In 1850 John Duncan, Aaron, and William Lewis advertised a horse ferry at this location. Duncan drowned in a ferry boat accident in May 1849,  two ferrymen also drowned at this location in 1853.
Dundee Barton Extinct Town 1881-1902
1915-1943
A station and shipping point on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.
Dunkirk Crawford Lost Town 1915-1919
Dunlap  Morris Near Ghost Town 1874-1988 On the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway. The post office closed on November 12, 1988.
Dunmire Saline Lost Town
Durachen Butler Lost Town 1882-1909
Durand Woodson Located on the Union Pacific Railroad from Piqua, Kansas
Durham Marion Current Town
Dunlap Morris Ghost Town
Durham Marion Current Town
Dutch Henry’s Crossing or Shermanville Franklin Name Change Now Lane. Dutch Henry’s Crossing was established in 1849 on Pottawatomie Creek. Henry Sherman, proprietor.
Dwight Morris Current Town Named after Dwight W. Rathbone, townsite owner. On the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad in 1887.
Dyer’s Crossing Pottawatomie Lost place. NA Established in 1853 on Big Blue River at Juniata on the Fort Leavenworth-Fort Riley Military Road. Samuel D. Dyer, Proprietor. Dyer operated a store and a hotel. A ferry was operated by a man named “Garland” in 1853. The bridge was constructed in 1854-55 and destroyed by ice in February 1856.

Next

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X Y  Z