|Post Office Dates
|Ashcroft was located on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad, in Delaware Township about four miles from Valley Falls near the county’s northern boundary. After its post office closed in 1900, it was supplied with mail by rural route from Nortonville.
|Boyle was a station on the Union Pacific Railroad in Jefferson Township. In 1910, it had a money order post office and a population of 18. It was located about five miles from Valley Falls and nine miles from Oskaloosa.
|Buckcreek was a station on the Union Pacific Railroad. Today the old Buckcreek school still stands at the site. See Article HERE.
|Centerville was laid out in 1865, about midway between Perry and Medina in Kentucky Township. George Williams was the proprietor of the townsite. Soon after its survey into lots, John Collins built a large two-story business house, with the upper part fitted up for a hall. This was the only building ever erected there and was for some years used for political and religious meetings. The building was afterward moved to Perry, where it was used for a store for a time, after which it was transformed into the mill operated by Leach and Sons.
|Chester had the first post office in Sarcoxie Township, soon after the area was settled.
|Cook’s Ford, Cook’s Fork, Cook’s Ferry
|Cook’s Ferry was established on the Kansas River in 1859. W. W. Cook, proprietor. The ford was used in 1865 at the Rock Creek Crossing of Mt. Florence & Grasshopper Falls Road. A post office was established in 1865 with Henry Turner as postmaster. The post office moved to Rock Creek.
|Dean was a small inland settlement of Jefferson County, about six miles south of Oskaloosa, the nearest railroad station. When its post office closed, it received its mail by rural delivery from Oskaloosa.
Dunavant was located on a branch of the Missouri Pacific Railroad seven miles southeast of Valley Falls and five miles north of Oskaloosa. It was located near Hickory Point. In 1910, it had a money order post office, telegraph and express offices, some local trade, and a population of 85.
|Halfmound was located in the northern part of Delaware Township on the Delaware River. See Article HERE.
In June 1854, Charles Hardt located at Hickory Point in Jefferson Township and started a trading ranch. See Article HERE.
|Kaw City was founded in the spring of 1857. See Article HERE.
|A settlement called Perryville began here in 1865 when the Union Pacific Railroad came through Jefferson County. See Article HERE.
|Newman was a station on the Kansas Pacific Railroad in Kentucky Township. See Article HERE.
|North Cedar was a small hamlet on the Missouri Pacific Railroad in Delaware Township. In 1910, it had express and telegraph offices and a money order office. It was located 16 miles northwest of Oskaloosa and six miles from Valley Falls.
|The town’s name was changed from Middleton to Ole in 1860.
|The first voting place in Kentucky Township was at Rising Sun, in 1856. Rising Sun was laid out by Joseph Haddox in 1857. Its location was on the north bank of the Kansas River, opposite Lecompton. Afterward, he partnered with Jerome Kunkle, Louis Lutt, and J. Menzer, to form a townsite. Jerome Kunkle kept a ferry there. The first store was started soon after the foundation of the town, by Lutt and Menzer. In 1858, a Methodist Episcopal Church was erected in Rising Sun. Rising Sun grew to be a respectable little village, and was the business point for the township until the building of the Kansas Pacific Railroad, in 1865. At that time, several towns were laid out along the railroad, and in a short time, the village of Rising Sun was all moved to other points. The post office moved to Perryville in 1866. Afterward, the old town became part of a farm owned by Jerome Kunkle.
|Located in Sarcoxie Township, the old Sarcoxie Cemetery still stands.
|Thompsonville was a hamlet located on the Delaware River in Kentucky Township. See Article HERE.
|Woodstock was the location of the second post office in Sarcoxie Township. Jules L. Williams was the postmaster.