Everyplace in Kansas – O

Overland Park, Kansas buildings by Kathy Alexander.

Overland Park, Kansas buildings by Kathy Alexander.

A  B  C  D  E  F  G   I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X Y  Z

O

Place Name County Place Type Post Office Dates More Information
O’Brien Miami Named for Perry O’Brien, pioneer.
O’Brien Ferry Doniphan Lost Place NA Established 1861-62 on the Missouri River at Belmont.
Oak Jefferson Lost Town 1891-1895
Oak City Seward Lost Town Vacated 1897. Founded in 1887. Ruby P. Cook was the first postmistress. Post office moved to Tyrone, Oklahoma. It was nine miles west of Liberal.
Oak Grove Pottawatomie Lost Town 1874-1882 Located in Belvue Township.
Oak Hill Clay Current Town -1995 The post office closed on July 16, 1995.
Oak Mills Atchison Lost Town 1868-1945 Oak Mills, Kansas, was once located along the Missouri River. The site was originally home to a Kanza Indian village. It was on the Missouri Pacific Railroad.
Oak Ridge Douglas Lost Town None Jonathan F. Morgan and Governor Charles Robinson were the first to settle in Oak Ridge in about 1866.  
Oak Valley Elk
Oakdale Reno Lost Town Located January 22, 1889.
Oakland Jewell Lost Town
Oakland Montgomery Paper Town A paper town.
Oakland Shawnee Extinct Town 1888-1910 Oakland was incorporated community near Topeka, which it was connected by a street railway. It once had several nurseries, large woolen mills, and the Oakland Blade newspaper. In 1910, its population was 1,465. It is a neighborhood of Topeka today.
Oaklawn
Oakley Logan Current Town County seat. Located near Monument Rocks on the Kansas Pacific Railroad.
Oakridge Elk Lost Town Discontinued 1882.
Oakwood Linn Lost Town 1858-1905 Once situated in the western portion of the county about ten miles northwest of Mound City.
Oasis Logan Lost Town 1890 This post office just a few short months.
Oasis Saline Lost Town
Oatville Sedgwick Lost Town 1884-1936 Located in Waco Township, it was on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, six miles southwest of Wichita.
Oberlin Decatur Current Town Western Kansas continued to have Indian problems until the last Indian raid in Decatur County in 1878.
Ocena, Oceana Atchison Lost Town 1855-1858 The post office moved to Pardee in August 1858.
Ocheltree Johnson Lost Town 1869-1954 A village in the extreme southern part of Johnson County.
Ocoee Reno Lost Town 1879-1881
Octagon City Allen
Odee Kingman Lost Town
Odell Harper Lost Town
Odell Sheridan Lost Town
Odin Barton Extinct Town 1950-1995 The post office closed on August 19, 1995.
Odessa Jewell Lost Town
Og Reno Lost Town 1880-1882
Ogallah Trego Extinct Town -2004 Was on the Kansas Pacific Railroad. The post office closed on January 10, 2004.
Offerle Edwards Extinct Town 1876-2018 The post office closed on May 19, 2018.
Ogden Riley Current Town Was on the Kansas Pacific Railroad.
Ohio Smith Lost Town
Ohio Centre Sedgwick Lost Town 1873-1887
Ohio City Edwards Lost Town Vacated 1897.
Ohio City Franklin Lost Town 1857-1870 Located on the Humboldt Trail, it became the county seat of Franklin County for a short time. The post office moved to Princeton when it closed.
Ohio City Marshall Lost Town None Ohio City was located in 1855 on the quarter section joining Barrett on the southwest.
Ohio Grove Ottawa Lost Town
Oil City Butler Lost Town 1877-1880
Oil Hill  Butler Lost Town 1917-1958 Company-owned Oil Town.
Oil Valley Butler Lost Town 1920-1922
Oketo Marshall Current Town
Oketo Ferry Marshall Lost Place Operated 1859-67 on Big Blue River; Poor, Whitehead & Co., Proprietors. Located a half-mile south of Oketo.
Olanthe Johnson Lost Town Incorporated 1857.
Olanthus Norton Lost Town
Olathe Johnson Current Town County seat. On the Santa Fe Trail. Elm Grove/Lone Elm campground south of Olathe. Founded in 1856/1857 and named after the Shawnee expression for “beautiful.”
Olcott Reno Lost Town 1887-1903
1904-1907
It was the terminal station on the Olcott & Iuka branch of the Missouri Pacific Railroad.
“Old” Ogallah Trego Lost Town See Park’s Fort.
Old Ulysses Grant Lost Town The site moved about 1899. The next site was called New Ulysses for a time.
Ole, Middleton Jefferson Lost Town 1857-1865 The town’s name was changed from Middleton to Ole in 1860.
Olene Graham Lost Town
Olivet Osage Current Town
Olmitz Barton Current Town
Olney Rush Lost Town 1874-1888
Olpe Lyon Current Town On the Howard Branch of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.
Olsburg Pottawatomie Current Town
Omaha Kearny Lost Town 1888 Located about 1888.
Omio Jewell Lost Town Located in eastern Jewell County; the town died as Delta. Formoso was the beneficiary. There was once a small coal mine located about three miles south of Formoso just west of the former town of Omio.
Omnia Cloud Lost Town
Onaga Pottawatomie Current Town
Oneida Nemaha Current Town -2013 The post office closed on March 30, 2013.
Onion Creek Osage Lost Town 1869-1870 The post office moved to Osage City.
Ontario Nemaha Lost Town 1862-1922 It was located on the Northwestern Railroad.
Ophir Butler Lost Town 1881-1886
Opolis Crawford Was atation on the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad.
Orbitello Lincoln Lost Town 1880-1899
Orchard/Coonsville Linn Lost Town 1879-1901 Situated on Sugar Creek about ten miles east of La Cygne.
Ord Neosho Lost Town
Oread Coffey Lost Town  None This was a paper town located near the farm of Wesley Stubblefield, ten miles northeast of Burlington.
Oregon Jefferson Lost Town 1882-1883
1885
Orel Allen Lost Town 1875-1881 The post office moved to Morantown.
Orie Sumner Lost Town 1877-1893 It was three miles south and two miles west of  Mayfield at 50th Street South and Chikaskia Roads.
Orino Jewell Lost Town
Oriole Smith Lost Town
Orion Cloud Lost Town Same as Arion.
Orion Gove It had a post office, a one-room school, a grocery store, a gas station, and a dance hall.
Orlando Cheyenne Lost Town 1886-1888
Orleans Lyon Lost Town
Oro Butler Name Change Name changed to Fulton.
Orr Doniphan Lost Town 1893-1897
Orworth Lincoln Lost Town 1879-1892
Osaga Bourbon See Fort Lincoln.
Osage, Osage City Bourbon Lost Town
Osage Miami Lost Town
Osage Center Osage Name Change Now Lyndon.
Osage City Osage Current Town On the Santa Fe Trail and the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.
Osage County Osage Current County NA One of the original 36 counties created in 1855. First called Weller County. Lyndon is the county seat.
Osage Mission/St. Paul Neosho Name Change Now St. Paul. On the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway.
Osawkie Jefferson Name Change Now Ozawkie.The first settlement was made in the spring of 1854, by Missourians who erected a store and started a trading ranch on the old military freight road.
Osawatomie Miami Current Town Named after the Osage and Potawatomi tribes. In August 1856, John Brown and 40 defenders were attacked by about 400 pro-slavery Missourians.
Osborn Crawford Lost Town 1867-1872
Osborn Neosho Lost Town
Osborne Osborne Current Town Named for Vincent Osborne. Geodetic Center of the United States.
Osborne County Osborne Current County Created from unorganized area in 1867. Osborne is the county seat.
Oskaloosa Jefferson Current Town County seat. On the Smoky Hill Trail.
Ost, St. Joseph Reno Lost Town 1882-1911 A country office and trading center for Sumner Township. It was 23 miles southeast of Hutchinson.
Oswego Labette Current Town The first permanent settlers arrived in 1865. It was on the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway and the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad.
Oswell Rush Lost Town 1882-1883
Otego Jewell
Otis Rush Current Town Named for the land owner.
Otoe Marshall Lost Town None A stage station on the Oketo cutoff on the Otoe Indian reserve.
Ottawa County Ottawa Current County NA Created from unorganized area in 1860. Minneapolis is the county seat.
Otter Creek Clay Lost Town
Otter Lake Pottawatomie Lost Town 1870-1886 Located in the center of Shannon Township.
Otterborn, Otterbound Sheridan Lost Town
Ottawa Franklin Current Town County seat. Named after the Ottawa tribe. Reverend Jotham Meeker established the Ottawa Baptist Mission in the summer of 1837. The town was platted in March 1864 on Marais des Cygnes River.
Ottawa Creek Franklin Lost Town 1856-1864 The post office moved to Ottawa.
Otto Marshall Lost Town Chartered 1858.
Ottumwa Coffey Lost Town 1857-1906 Located on the Neosho River in Ottumwa Township, Ottumwa was established in 1857. Once showing great promise, it had a university.
Our Carter Stafford Lost Town
Oursler Marion Lost Town 1886-1889 Oursler was named for W.E.M. Oursler, who came to Kansas in 1870 and kept a post office on his place for several years.
Over Muncha Ellis Lost Town 1880 The post office was only open for five months.
Overbrook Osage Current Town Located on a ridge separating the waters of the Wakarusa and the Marais des Cygnes Rivers. Located on the Santa Fe Trail. The community was once a center for the mining of bituminous coal.
Overland Park Johnson Current Town 1910-Present Located west of Kansas City, Missouri.
Overton Butler Lost Town 1867-1869
Oxford Johnson Lost Town None Once located in Oxford Township, adjoining New Santa Fe, Missouri, on the Santa Fe Trail.
Oxford Sumner Current Town
Oxide Ellsworth Lost Town 1883-1888
Oyer Rooks Lost Town
Ozark Anderson Lost Town 1862-1885 The post office moved to Kincaid.
Ozark Divide
Ozawkie Jefferson Current Town The town own was moved when Lake Perry was built. Now
Ozro, Osrow Falls Chautauqua Lost Town
Ozro Falls Jefferson Lost Town

Next

A  B  C  D  E  F  G   I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X Y  Z