|Town||Post Office Dates||Additional Information|
|Adrian||1880-1907||A small hamlet situated on the ridge between Cross and Soldier Creeks. It was about 16 miles southwest of Holton and four miles from Emmett, the nearest railroad station. When the post office closed, it received its mail by rural delivery from Delia.|
|Avoca||1871-1907||A hamlet located near the west line of the county, 11 miles southwest of Holton. When the post office closed, it received its mail by rural delivery from Soldier.|
|Birmingham||1888-1942||A hamlet in Franklin Township located on the Missouri Pacific Railroad four miles southeast of Holton. In 1910, it had a general store, a money order post office, telegraph and express offices, and a population of 50.|
|Carl||1893-1907||Carl was located 12 miles west of Holton. After the post office closed, it received its mail from Soldier by rural route. The population in 1910 was 21.|
|Larkinburg/Larkin||1872-1963||The town took its name from M. E. Larkin, who owned the land south of the town site. It was laid out in 1880, although a post office by the name of Larkin had existed since 1872, with Henry Priddy as postmaster. The name changed from Larkin to Larkinburg on April 9, 1909. It was located on the Leavenworth, Kansas, and Western branch of the Union Pacific Railroad nine miles east of Holton. It was amidst a prosperous farming community and did considerable shipping. In 1910, it had two stores, telegraph and express offices, a money order post office, and a population of 129.|
|Nadeau||1887-1913||A hamlet located near the southern line of the county, 16 miles south of Holton. In 1910, it had a money order post office, some local trade, and a population of 25. Hoyt was the nearest railroad station.|
|North Cedar||1867-1887||The post office moved to Denison.|
|Ontario||1862-1922||A hamlet located near the northern line of the county about ten miles northwest of Holton. The depot was located about a quarter-mile north of the town center. In 1910, it was located on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, had telegraph and express offices, a money order post office, and a population of 50.
|Plum Station||1868||The post office was only open for about four months.|
|South Cedar||1867-1904||A hamlet located in Cedar Township, about ten miles southeast of Holton, When the post office closed, it received its mail by rural route from Denison.|
|Straight Creek||1888-1929||A hamlet in Straight Creek Township on the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad, six miles northeast of Holton. Before 1869 the lands of the township belonged to the Kickapoo Indian reservation. J. H. Thompson claimed land in 1854 and settled in 1855. John Hibbard came in 1856. Other early settlers were S. J. Rose, William Chambers, W. L. Estes, T. Burns, James Hastings, and others. G. W. Weister built the first mill.|
©Kathy Alexander/Legends of Kansas, October 2022.
Blackmar, Frank W.; Kansas: A Cyclopedia of State History, Vol I; Standard Publishing Company, Chicago, IL 1912.
Cutler, William G; History of Kansas; A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL, 1883.
Kansas Post Office History