Every Place Kansas – G

Main Street in Glasco, Kansas, 1910.

Main Street in Glasco, Kansas, 1910.

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

G

Place Name County Place Type Post Office Dates More Information
Gable’s/Scranton Osage Current Town Name changed from Gable’s to Scranton.
Gabriel/Lee Doniphan Lost Town 1895-1904 The name changed from Lee to Gabriel on May 6, 1897.
Galatia Barton Current Town
Gale Marion Lost Town 1883-1887
Galena Cherokee Current Town Galena began in 1877 when lead was discovered near Short Creek. Empire City declined and was annexed to Galena in 1911. It is on old Route 66.
Galesburg Neosho Current Town On the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway.
Galesville, Gatesville Clay Lost Town
Gallileo Sheridan Lost Town Discontinued 1882.
Galva McPherson Current Town On the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad in 1887.
Gandy Sherman Lost Town
Garden City Finney Current Town County Seat. It was on the Mountain Route of the Santa Fe Trail. Founded by the Fulton brothers in 1878 and named after the beautiful garden of the founder’s wife. It was on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.
Garden Plain Sedgwick Current Town
Gardner Johnson Current Town On the Santa Fe Trail and Oregon Trail junction west of Gardner
Garfield Pawnee Current Town On the Santa Fe Trail and later on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.
Garland/Memphis Bourbon Ghost Town 1875-1997 The name changed from Memphis to Garland on March 18, 1886. Today, Garland is a ghost town.
Garley/Garly/Wild Rover Cloud Lost Town The post office moved from Garly to Wild Rover on February 2, 1876. The name changed from Wild Rover to Garley on August 4, 1876. The post office closed on January 15, 1881.
Garlington Franklin Lost Town 1886-1898 The post office moved to Pleasanthill.
Garnett Anderson Current Town County seat. Founded in 1856 and named for William A.Garnett, president of the town company at Greeley.
Garrison Pottawatomie Lost Town 1880-1959 Garrison was on the Union Pacific Railroad and the Missouri Pacific Railroad. Garrison and Garrison Crossing were named for Cornelius Kingsland Garrison, a president of the Missouri Pacific Railroad. Garrison is now covered by the waters of Tuttle Creek Reservoir.
Gas, Gas City Allen Current Town Near Iola.
Gates
Gatesville Clay
Gaylord Smith Current Town Named for C. E. Gaylord, pioneer
Gaula Greenwood Lost Town
Gazette – See Lazette. Cowley Lost Town
Geary Doniphan Lost Town 1857-1905 Geary, first called Geary City, was located in 1857 by a company of Leavenworth men and was named for Governor John W. Geary.
Geary County Geary Current County NA One of the original 36 counties, it was established in 1855. It was initially called Davis County. Junction City is the county seat.
Geddesburg/Altoona Wilson Name Change The name changed to Altoona.
Gem Thomas Ghost Town 1885-2020 A small semi-ghost town in northeast Thomas County. The post office closed on October 2, 2010.
Geneseo Rice Current Town Located just south of the Ellsworth County line.
Geneva Allen Lost Town 1858-1942 Located in Geneva Township northeast of Iola. It was settled by colonists of the Union Settlement Association from New York and Michigan. Named after Geneva, New York.
Geographical Center Wilson Lost Town
George Pawnee Lost Town 1882-1888
Georgetown Osage Lost Town Two miles south of Ridgeway; located in 1857; abandoned in 1860; a stage station on the road from Lawrence to Emporia.
Georgia City Crawford Lost Town Established 1869; abandoned 1872; named for A.J. Georgia, of Pittsburg.
Gerardy Washington Name Change Now Hanover.
Gere Barber
Gerlane Barber Lost Town 1909-1943 Railroad station.
Germania Sedgwick Lost Town 1877-1896 A small town about one and a half miles west of St. Mark, in Garden Plain Township
Germantown Brown
Germantown Pottawatomie Lost Town On Big Vermillion Creek, near Louisville.
Germantown Smith Lost Town 1872 Was the center of an early settlement of Germans, located in 1872 and abandoned in 1885.
Gertrude Marshall Lost Town None Founded January 2, 1861, vacated 1864. It was one mile northwest of Marysville on the hilltop, west of the mill. It consisted of a small frame house where its owner sold “necessaries” to the emigrants.
Gettysburg Graham Lost Town
Gibson Trego Lost Town 1880-1893 The town was located north of the Smoky Hill River in the southwest corner of Trego County.
Gideon Lost Town 1883-1902
Gill Logan Lost Town 1900-1918 It was located on the Smoky Hill River about 16 miles west of Russell Springs.
Gillespie On the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.
Gilfillan Bourbon Lost Town 1882-1902 Located south of Devon, the first post office was located in a general store with W. Barnett as the postmaster. The village was named after the Gillifillan Stone Quarry, which had a spur from the Missouri Pacific Railroad.
Gilliam, Gillam Rush Lost Town 1881-1885
Girard Crawford Current Town County seat. Named for Stephen Girard, the Philadelphia merchant, banker, and philanthropist of pre-Civil War days.
Glade Phillps Current Town -1996 The post office closed on July 27, 1996.
Gladstone Chase Lost Town None A railroad station at the mouth of the South fork of the Cottonwood River about two and a half miles east of Cottonwood Falls.
Gladys Sedgwick Lost Town 1888-1891
Glasco  Cloud Current Town
Gleed/Corliss Johnson Lost Town Name changed to Corliss. Lost town today.
Glen Butler Lost Town
Glen Lincoln Lost Town 1898-1905 A hamlet located near the head of Spillman Creek, about 16 miles northwest of Lincoln. Vesper, on the Union Pacific, was the nearest railroad station.
Glen Burn Douglas Lost Town 1875 The post office was only open for about nine months.
Glen Elder Mitchell Current Town
Glenloch Anderson Lost Town 1887-1913
Glen Park Wyandotte Lost Town 1870-1872 The post office moved to Rosedale.
Glen Sharrold Rice Lost Town
Glen Valley Sumner Lost Town 1878-1881 The post office moved to Cisne when it closed.
Glendale Bourbon Lost Town 1864-1886
1889-1902
Located nine miles northwest of Fort Schott. The first postmaster was R.A. Williams.
Glendale Douglas Lost Town 1881-1894
Glendale Leavenworth Lost Town 1856-1857
Glenn Johnson Lost Town 1868-1895 Located on an early course of the Santa Fe Trail.
Glenora Jewell Lost Town
Glenross Wabaunsee Lost Town
Glenwood Crawford Lost Town
Glenwood Johnson Lost Town
Glenwood Leavenworth Lost Town 1869-1870
1884-1902
Located in the southeastern part of the county about two miles northwest of Jaggard.
Globe/Marion Douglas Lost Town 1870-1894 Located on the Santa Fe Trail. Name changed to Globe on August 24, 1881.
Gnadenau Marion Lost Town None Gnadenau was a communal village of German-speaking Mennonite immigrants from Russia who arrived in August 1874.
Gnoton/Groton Logan Lost Town 1878-1879
1880-1882
A post office called Gnoton opened in August 1878, but its name was changed to Groton just two months later.
Goddard Sedgwick Current Town On the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad, It was named for J. F. Goddard, vice-president and general manager of the Santa Fe, in 1877.
Godfrey Bourbon Lost Town 1870-1901 In 1870 a coal baron was doing a large business in stripping and shipping coal. The village was platted in 1871.
Goodland Sherman Current Town In 1909-1910 America’s first patented helicopter was invented by William Purvis and Charles Wilson of Goodland.
Goessel Marion Current Town
Goff Nemaha Current Town On the Missouri Pacific Railroad.
Gognac Grant Lost Town 1886-1926 The post office was in a general store and only one other business existed
Golden Grant Lost Town 1886-1899 Located southwest of Ulysses.
Golden Belt Lincoln Lost Town 1879-1886
Golden City Rice Lost Town
Golden Gate Chautauqua Lost Town
Gomeria Republic Lost Town
Good Intent/Goodintent Atchison Lost Town
Good River Sedgwick Lost Town 1876-1882 Discontinued 1882.
Goodland Sherman Current Town County seat.
Goodman Johnson Lost Town Named for the landowner.
Goodrich Linn Lost Town 1871-1942 It was a station on the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway. Named for John S. Goodrich, postmaster
Goose City Wallace Lost Town
Gopher Trego Lost Town
Gordon Butler Lost Town 1884-1936 A station on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad 19 miles south of Eldorado. It was in Walnut Township, on the Walnut River. In 1910, it had a money order post office, an express office, a good local retail trade, and a population of 28. It became a Company-owned Oil Town.
Gorham Labette
Gorham Russell Current Town On the Kansas Pacific Railroad. It was named for a pioneer.
Gould, Valley Greenwood Name Change 1870-1882 The name changed from Valley to Gould in 1880. The name changed to Severy in 1882.
Gould City Rooks This place was missed by the railroad and deserted.
Gourock Harper Replaced by Albion.
Gourock Sumner Lost Town None Established in about 1878, it was one mile west of Argonia.
Gove City Gove Current Town County seat. The blizzard of 1886 forced the cattle ranches out of business.
Gove City Jefferson Lost Town
Gove County Gove Current County Gove County was established in from unorganized area in 1868. The county seat is Gove.
Government Siding Pawnee Lost Town Near Camp Criley.
Grace Cheyenne Lost Town 1901-1903
Graham Graham Name Change Name changed to Whitfield.
Graham County Graham Current County Graham County was created from unorganized area in 1867 Its county seat is Hill City
Grainfield Gove Current Town On the Kansas Pacific Railroad.
Grand Bluff, Granite Bluff Phillips Lost Town
Grand Center Osborne Lost Town Established 1872.
Grand Center Russell Lost Town
Grand Haven Osage Lost Town
Grand Prairie Brown Lost Town
Grand View Morris Lost Town 1876-1886 The post office moved to Delavan in 1886.
Grand View Morton Lost Town
Granada/Pleasant Spring Nemaha Lost Town 1856-1906 First called Pleasant Spring it was on the Central Overland California and Pike’s Peak Express and the Overland Stage Route. The name was changed to Granada in 1864.
Grand Haven Shawnee Lost Town 1875-1901 A small settlement in the extreme southwest corner of the county about eight miles from Eskridge.
Grandview Riley Lost Town 1895 The post office was only open for two months.
Grandview Plaza Geary Current Town
Grand Prairie Brown Lost Town 1870-1888
Granite Falls/Marble Falls Marshall Lost Town None Established on the Little Blue River near the mouth of Fawn Creek in Waterville Township.
Grange Linn Lost Town 1882-1884
Grange Pottawatomie Lost Town 1875-1880
Granite Falls Marshall Lost Town 1858 Established in 1858.
Grannell Springs, Grunnell Springs Gove Lost Town
Gransville Comanche Lost Town
Granville Washington Name Change The name changed to Peach Creek.
Grant Geary Lost Town
Grant Riley Lost Town 1880-1898 The first settlers were S.D. Houston and Henry Eubank who made their homes on Wild Cat Creek the first in 1855.
Grant Wabaunsee Lost Town
Grant County Grant Current County NA Formed from Finney and Hamilton Counties in 1887. The county seat is Ulysses.
Grantville Jefferson On the Kansas Pacific Railroad and Chicago and Rock Island Railroad.
Grass Montgomery Lost Town 1880-1886 In Rutland Township.
Grasshopper Creek Jefferson Lost Town Seventeen miles from Kickapoo.
Grasshopper Falls Jefferson Name Change 1855 Established 1855; incorporated 1859. The name changed to Sautrell Falls 1863; back to Grasshopper Falls 1864; changed to Valley Falls 1875.
Gray On the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.
Gray County Gray Current County NA  Formed from Finney and Ford Counties in 1887. Cimarron is the county seat.
Great Bend Barton Current Town County seat. On the Santa Fe Trail. Settled in 1871 and boomed when the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad arrived in 1872.
Great Nemaha Agency Doniphan Lost Town See Nemaha Agency.
Great Spirit Springs Mitchell Name Change Now Waconda Springs.
Greeley Anderson Current Town
Greeley Center Greeley Lost Town None Established by the Greeley Town Company that was formed in October 1885. In June 1887, the Missouri Pacific Railroad put tracks through Horace and left Greeley Center unable to continue its growth.
Greeley County Greeley Current County NA Created from unorganized area in 1873. The county seat is Tribune.
Green  Clay Current Town
Green Elm Crawford Lost Town Green Elm was located on Hickory Creek about five miles southwest of Idell.
Green Lamb’s Crossing Geary Lost Place  Established in 857 on the Smoky Hill River it was eight west of Junction City. Green Lamb, proprietor.
Green Ridge Pawnee Lost Town 1878-1881
Green Springs Johnson Lost Town
Green Top Doniphan Lost Town 1857-1859 A. S. Ross, postmaster. It was about two miles south of Bendena.
Green Valley Ellsworth Name Change The name changed to Cain.
Greenbush Crawford Lost Town 1874-1901
Greenbush Leavenworth Lost Town 1856 The post office was only open for five months.
Greenfield Elk Lost Town 1871 Founded in 1871.
Greenleaf Washington Current Town On the Missouri Pacific Railroad.
Greensburg Kiowa Current Town County seat. Named for D. R. Green, stage-line owner; Green’s stage line became known as the Cannonball, and he was known as “Cannonball Green.” On the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad in 1887.
Greensward Meade Lost Town Vacated 1899.
Greenvale Russell Lost Town
Greenville Jewell Lost Town
Greenwich Heights
Greenwood Brown Lost Town Incorporated 1857.
Greenwood/Sac & Fox Agency Franklin Lost Town 1855-1872 Name change from Sac & Fox Agency to Greenwood on February 27, 1861.
Greenwood City Greenwood Lost Town 1884-1887
Greenwood County Greenwood Current County NA One of the original 36 counties, it was established in 1855. Eureka is the county seat.
Gregory Cherokee Lost Town 1874 The post office was only open for two months
Gregory Jewell Lost Town
Grenola Elk Current Town
Gretna Phillips Lost Town Originally laid out on September 15, 1887, and was called Dana. When the railroad arrived it was renamed Gretna. At one point, it had a bank, an elevator, and several other stores. It was settled mostly by families from Missouri.
Greystone Wilson Lost Town 1867-1887 The post office moved to Sidell.
Gridley Coffey Current Town
Grigsby
Grigston Scott
Grimm Wabaunsee Lost Town
Grinnell Gove Current Town On the Kansas Pacific Railroad.
Grinter Wyandotte Lost Town 1889-1902 Established in 1831 on the Kansas River, on the Fort Leavenworth-Fort Gibson Military Road. Nine miles west of Kansas City, Kansas. Moses R. Grinter’s two-story brick house, built in the late 1850s, is maintained by Kansas State Historical Society.
Grinter’s Ferry, Delaware National Ferry, Delaware Crossing, Secondline Crossing Wyandotte Lost Place NA Established in 1831 on the Kansas River, on the Fort Leavenworth-Fort Gibson Military Road. Moses R. Grinter, Proprietor.
Griswold Lost Town 1887-1897
Gross Crawford Lost Town 1907-1934 Gross was a coal mining camp.
Groton Wallace Lost Town Discontinued 1882.
Grouse Creek Cowley Lost Town
Grove Ottawa Lost Town
Grove City Jefferson Lost Town 1869-1883
Groveland McPherson On the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad, 1887.
Grover Ottawa Lost Town 1886-1898
Groy On the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.
Grunnell Springs, Grannell Springs Gove Lost Town
Guelph Sumner Lost Town 1872-1902 It was located in the southeastern corner of the county, six miles east and one mile south of South Haven at 170th Street South and Hillside Road.
Guild City Greenwood Lost Town
Guilford Wilson Lost Town 1868-1886
1888-1922
A station on the Missouri Pacific Railroad in Guilford Township. In 1910, it had a money order post office and a population of 32. It was eight miles northeast of Fredonia.
Guittard Station Marshall Lost Place 1861-1900 A travelers’ rest, an Overland stage stop, and a Pony Express  Station in 1860.
Gum Springs, Shawnee Johnson Name Change This was Gum Spring Campground in 1847 six miles west of Westport, Missouri. It was the first county seat of Johnson County. Now Shawnee
Gurley, Garley Cloud Lost Town
Gurney Cheyenne Lost Town 1887-1907 The site moved into Colorado.
Guthrie Dickinson Lost Town 1872-1873
Guy
Gypsum Saline Current Town Named after Gypsum Greek east of Salina. It “swallowed up” an earlier town named Pliney. In 1892, 7,000 tons of gypsum were shipped from its mill to Chicago for buildings in the World’s Fair.

Next

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z