Extinct Towns of Morris County, Kansas

Morris County, 1899.

Morris County, 1899.

The old Miser Grade School once stood south of Diamond Springs, Kansas.

The old Miser Grade School once stood south of Diamond Springs, Kansas.

Diamond Springs

Six Mile Creek

More Extinct Towns

Town Post Office Dates Additional Information
Alburtis 1879-1906 This town was located about two miles from the Wabaunsee County line and seven miles from Council Grove.
Beman 1875-1906 Berman was located on one of the tributaries of the Neosho River, the town was in the northeast corner of Morris County, about 13 miles from Council Grove.
Cheshire 1881-1887  
Comiskey 1887-1929 A station on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, it was located on the border with Lyon County. In 1910 there were a few businesses and a population of about 28. Comiskey Cemetery still exists about one mile south of U.S. 56 highway on 100 Road.
Damorris 1880-1887 The post office moved to Dwight in 1887.
Dix 1883-1886  
Far West 1864-1869

1872-1887

The post office moved to Aroma in 1869. 

Reopened in 1872 and moved in 1887 to Latimer. A Far West townsite was platted but it was so close to Latimer that it was not developed.

Field 1880-1895  
Fleta 1883-1887  
Fourmile 1879-1880 On the county border with Lyon County, the post office moved to Field in 1880.
Grand View 1876-1886 The post office moved to Delavan in 1886.
Helmick 1887-1907 A station on the Missouri Pacific Railroad about seven miles west of Council Grove.
Hill Spring 1868-1878 The post office moved to Mildred in 1878.
Kelso 1881-1942 Located on the Neosho River, it was a station on the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad situated about six miles northwest of Council Grove. In 1910 it had about a dozen businesses and a population of 76.
La Grange 1868-1871  
Leon 1862-1869 The post office moved to Lyona in 1869.
Lily 1881-1887  
Luther 1880-1887  
Miller 1855-1856 Arthur Baker served as the first postmaster of Miller’s post office. He soon left and established Agnes City in Lyon County. 
Munson 1873-1875 Moved to Beman in 1875.
Rebekah 1872-1873 Moved to Munson in 1873.
Rock Creek 1870-1871 Also called Rock Creek Crossing, this settlement, which lay beside the small stream of Rock Creek in the eastern part of Morris County, was well known to travelers along the Santa Fe Trail. It was known as a good camping and watering place, with wood for fuel. The Indian name of the stream was Ne-ko-its-ah-ba, meaning “Dead Men’s Creek,” which was conferred upon it on account of the large number of human bones found there by some of the tribes, indicating that a great Indian battle had been fought on its banks, probably about the beginning of the 19th century. On the night of July 3, 1862, Arthur I. Baker and his brother-in-law, George Segur, were killed at the Rock Creek crossing by Anderson’s gang of guerrillas.
South Bend 1879-1889
An old stone building still stands at the site of Diamond Springs, Kansas by Kathy Weiser-Alexander.

An old stone building still stands at the site of Diamond Springs, Kansas by Kathy Alexander.

© Kathy Alexander/Legends of Kansas, updated May 2022.

Also See:

Kansas Ghost Towns

Morris County, Kansas

Morris County Photo Gallery

Santa Fe Trail Through Morris County