Extinct Towns of Leavenworth County, Kansas

Leavenworth County, Kansas Map by L.H. Everts, 1887.

Leavenworth County, Kansas Map by L.H. Everts, 1887.

Delaware City

Fairmount

Jarbalo

Kickapoo

Town Post Office Dates Additional Information
Ackerland 1883-1923 Ackerland, a village of Leavenworth County, is located in the western portion of the county on the Leavenworth & Topeka Railroad. A post office was established on January 8, 1883. In 1887 Samuel H. Hill, who had previously operated a sawmill in Jarbalo, bought the Ackerland store and became the postmaster. Hill also represented the Sixth District in the Legislature from 1895 to 1896. In 1910, the community had a money order post office, an express office, and a population of 25. The post office closed on November 15, 1923. The town was located about 15 miles southwest of Leavenworth.
Alexandria 1856-1857 Alexander was incorporated in 1855, by A. Majors, S. D. Pitcher, A. Payne, J. M. Alexander, Sibley and William  H. Russell. It was located on Stranger Creek.
Bell 1871-1872
Boling 1882-1918 A hamlet in the central part of Leavenworth County, it was situated on the Leavenworth & Topeka Railroad about nine miles southwest of Leavenworth. Its post office moved from High Prairie on July 14, 1882. In 1910 it had a money order post office, telegraph facilities, and a population of 32. Boling’s post office closed on July 31, 1918.
Dafer 1884-1900
Daisy 1882-1886
Delaware City 1856-1878 Delaware City, Kansas was founded in the summer of 1854.
Dimon 1868-1883 North of Stanwood; located in 1868.
Evanston 1898-1902 A hamlet of Leavenworth County, a post office opened on May 4, 1898, but only operated for three years, closing on April 30, 1902. It was located in the western portion of the county on Stranger Creek five miles north of Jarbalo, the nearest railroad town, and 11 miles southwest of Leavenworth.
Fairmount 1864-1866 Fairmount, Kansas was located a few miles southwest of Leavenworth, on the Lawrence branch of the Union Pacific Railroad.
Fall/Fall Leaf 1868
1874-1894
1895-1927
Fall Leaf was a station in the southern part of Reno Township on the main line of the Kansas Pacific Railroad. It was named in honor of a Delaware chief. R.C. Taylor and John Jordan were among the earliest settlers. A post office opened on January 28, 1868, but closed just a few months later on May 25, 1868. It reopened on February 27, 1874, and remained in operation until July 31, 1894. When a post office reopened on March 15, 1895, it and the community were called Fall, but the railroad station continued to be called Fall Leaf. By 1910, it was on the Union Pacific Railroad, had a post office, express and telegraph offices, and a population of 43. Its post office closed its doors for the last time on January 31, 1927. It was located in the extreme southern portion of the county on the Kansas River and about 30 miles southwest of Kansas City.
Glenwood 1869-1870
1884-1902
Located in Fairmount Township, a post office was established on January 26, 1869, but soon closed on October 18, 1870. By the early 1880s, it had a Methodist Episcopal Church and a schoolhouse. The post office reopened on February 18, 1884. It closed again on August 30, 1902. Glenwood was located in the southeastern part of Leavenworth County about two miles northwest of Jaggard, the nearest railroad point, and eight miles northwest of Bonner Springs.
Greenbush 1856 The post office was only open for five months.
Harkness 1890-1894
High Prairie 1875-1882 The post office moved to Boling.
Hoge 1867-1871
1872-1901
Located in Stranger Township, Hoge was a station on the Kansas Pacific Railroad. A post office was established on April 9, 1867, with Joseph Hoge as postmaster. The post office closed on June 12, 1871, and moved to Summit. The post office reopened on April 29, 1872, and by the early 1880s, it still had a small Catholic church. The post office closed its doors for the last time on May 15, 1901. In 1910, Hoge was located on the Union Pacific Railroad, received its mail by rural delivery from Tonganoxie, and had a population of 26. Hoge was located in the central part of Leavenworth County, 15 miles southwest of Leavenworth.
Hund’s Station 1873-1901
Jaggard 1889-1905 A railroad town in the southeastern part of the county. In 1910, it was on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad two miles northwest of Bonner Springs, from which it received rural mail delivery. It was 19 miles from Leavenworth.
Jarbalo 1872-1958 There are still several homes in the community as well as an active church.
Jay 1898-1902 A hamlet in the western part of Leavenworth County. A post office was established on October 3, 1898, but closed just a few years later on February 28, 1902. It was located about six miles southwest of Easton, the most convenient railroad station.
Kelly’s Station 1866-1867 The post office moved from Little Stranger. Name change to Fairmount.
Kickapoo/Kickapoo City 1855-1920 Kickapoo, one of the oldest towns in Leavenworth County, was first called Kickapoo City.
Lebreton 1884-1885
Lenape 1868-1943 Lenape was founded in Sherman Township in 1867 on the main line of the Kansas Pacific Railroad. It was laid out, like so many other villages on this line, by the Kansas Valley Town Company. It was named for the Lanape (Deleware) Indians. A post office was established on August 26, 1868. For a time it seemed to have as good a chance for growth as Linwood, but the position of the latter on the Kansas River gave it an advantage that could not be overcome. By the early 1880s, the town had a population of about 75 and just a few businesses. By 1910, the community was on the Union Pacific Railroad and had two general stores, a telegraph station, a money order post office, and a population of 85. The post office closed on May 15, 1943. It was located about 20 miles southwest of Kansas City.
Little Stranger 1860-1866 The post office moved to Kelly’s Station. Two miles south of Penitentiary Station.
Lowemont 1888-1938 This village was located in the northern portion of the county on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad. In 1910, it had a money order post office, express and telegraph facilities, and a population of 25. It was located 11 miles northwest of Leavenworth.
Maria 1873-1890
Millwood 1871-1904
Mount Olivet 1877-1900
Neely 1888-1923 A hamlet in the southwestern part of Leavenworth County, it was on the Missouri Pacific Railroad five miles northwest of Tonganoxie. The population in 1910 was 10.
Nuato 1855 The post office was only open for 10 months.
Petersburgh 1865-1875 The post office moved to Lansing.
Pleasant Ridge 1862-1895
Pope 1890-1893
Reno 1864-1918 The first general merchant of the place was John Jacobs, who was also the first postmaster when a post office opened on July 6, 1864. It was named after General Reno. Soon it was a station on the Lawrence branch of the Kansas Pacific Railroad. In the early 1880s, it was surrounded by a rich and well-settled farming country, and was a prosperous and growing village. By 1910, Reno was on the Union Pacific Railroad, had a general store, a money order post office, and was the shipping point for a considerable district. At that time, its population was 112. The post office closed on September 30, 1918.
Roland 1895-1902
Ruble 1886-1900
Salt Creek 1863-1864
Springdale 1860-1907 A small village, Springdale was located in the center of Alexandria Township. It was surveyed and platted by Hiram Rees and Eli Morris, in October 1860. A post office was established on September 24, 1860, with D. F. Walker as the first postmaster. There were two steam saw and grist mills in the Township. Alexandria Township was largely settled at first by members of the Society of Friends, who built the first church and schoolhouse there. Springdale’s post office closed on March 15, 1907, after which it received its mail from Ackerland, the nearest railroad station. Located in the western part of Leavenworth County, it was located about five miles south of Easton.
Spring Valley 1866-1870
Standish 1895-1901
Stanwood 1870-1886 Six miles from Tonganoxie.
Stranger 1867-1877
1888-1905
The first settlement here was called Journey Cake or Johnny Cake. A delegate of the Delaware tribe who signed the 1854 treaty with the United States, Ne-sha-pa-na-cumin, or Charles Journeycake, was so named in honor of his escape from white captors and his subsistence on a small portion of food that he managed to conceal until his return to his people. Located in Stranger Township, on the Kansas Pacific Railroad, Stranger was laid out in 1867 by the Kansas Valley Town Company. A post office was established on August 26, 1867, but it closed on December 20, 1887. More than ten years later it reopened on October 12, 1888. On December 15, 1905, the town and post office changed its name to Linwood. It was changed by Senator W.A. Harris because of his great appreciation for the Linwood trees that were abundant in the vicinity of Stranger Creek.
Summit 1871-1887 The post office moved from Hoge.
Wymer 1880 The post office was only open for two months.
Xavier 1942-1971 At one time the nuns’ property at St. Mary’s Academy in Leavenworth had its own post office. It was named for St. Francis Xavier.

© Kathy Alexander/Legends of Kansas, June 2022.

Also See:

Fort Leavenworth – History & Hauntings

Leavenworth – First City in Kansas

Leavenworth County

Leavenworth County Photo Gallery