More Extinct Towns:
|Town||Post Office Dates||Additional Information|
|Alva||1871-1878||The post office moved to Jamestown.|
|Cloud||1881||The post office was only open from May to December 1881.|
|Como||1900-1904||Como was located about 7.5 miles due east of Aurora.|
|The post office was moved from Garley to Wild Rover on August 4, 1876.|
|Gillespie||1879-1883||Gillespie was a station on the Atchison,Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.|
|Graves was a small town located in the central part of Cloud County, about ten miles south of Concordia.|
|Half Way/Cransdale|| 1872-1877
|The town’s name was changed from Cransdale to Half Way on April 11, 1877.|
|Heber||1881-1904||Heber, situated near the head of East Pipe Creek, was about 15 miles southeast of Concordia. After its post office closed, mail was received through the post office at Miltonvale.|
|Huscher, located in Nelson Township, was six miles southeast of Concordia. It had a station on the Atchison,Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad and was connected to Concordia by telephone in the early 1900s. By 1910, it had a local trade, did some shipping, and was called home to about 50 people.|
|Hollis-Sunday||1885-1960||This town was Christie, for W. J. Christie, the original owner of the townsite. However, when the community received a post office, its name was changed to Sunday. However, that was also brief, as, after just six months, the town’s name was changed again to Hollis on August 27, 1885. By 1910, it was a shipping point at the junction of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy, and Union Pacific Railroads. At that time, it had a money order post office with one rural route, a telegraph office, a good local trade, and a population of 50. In May 1909, Hollis was hit by a tornado that caused serious damage and killed several people. Only three buildings escaped damage. The community still displays several homes, silos, and one old business building. Area students attend school in Concordia.|
|The post office name changed from Salt Creek to Lawrenceburg on January 15, 1869.|
|The town’s name changed from Ten Mile to Macyville on August 22, 1879. It was located in Summit Township nine miles southwest of Concordia and about 11 miles northeast of Glasco. The population in 1910 was 62.|
|Meredith||1871-1910||Meredith was a small town located about 15 miles south of Concordia and eight miles from Delphos, in Ottawa County, the nearest shipping point and the postoffice from which its mail is distributed. The population in 1910 was 78.|
|Red Stone||1869-1887||Red Stone was situated on the Central Branch of the Union Pacific Railroad.|
|Rice||1878-1980||Rice is located in Lawrence Township six miles east of Concordia. In 1910 it was situated on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, had a money order post office with one rural route, some local trade, and a population of 89. Its close proximity to the larger trading center of Concordia inhibited its growth. Today, it continues to have a small population, homes, grain silos, and an old business building. A stone arch bridge, built in 1899, and restored in 1990 can be seen just north of Rice. Students in the area attend school in nearby Concordia.|
|Sibley||1868-1876||Sibley was founded in 1869, and named for Lake Sibley. Both were named for career soldier named Henry Hopkins Sibley. The was once in the running for the county seat but lost in an 1870 run-off election against Concordia. The lake dried up, the town of Concordia grew up nearby, attracting more settlers and the
population of Sibley drifted away. The area is now abandoned and the land is privately owned and used for farming.
|St. Joseph was founded in 1873 by its first Catholic pastor, Father Louis-Marie Mollier. Its inhabitants were originally predominately Roman Catholics of French American heritage who migrated from Kankakee, Illinois. A large wooden church was built in 1873 and enlarged in 1880. Unfortunately, it burned down in 1910. That year, the congregation laid the cornerstone for a larger brick structure. The town was never incorporated.
Though there is little left of the town today, the beautiful St. Joseph Catholic Church rises above the prairie. The church is no longer consecrated and the Salina Diocese was going to demolish the building. However, the community came together and formed the Guardians of The St. Joseph Church Foundation which preserves the church today. At its peak, 800 people worshiped between the two Sunday masses. It is open only by appointment today. It is located about six miles south of Clyde, Kansas on Noble Road.
|Yuma was located on the Missouri Pacific Railroad five miles west of Concordia. It was located near the intersections of K-28 and County Road 777. A historical marker remains where the town once stood, which was populated from 1878 until the 1930s.|
|Zahnville||1873-1882||The post office moved to Miltonvale.|
Blackmar, Frank W.; Kansas: A Cyclopedia of State History, Vol I; Standard Publishing Company, Chicago, IL 1912.
Cutler, William G; History of Kansas; A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL, 1883.
Kansas Historical Society