|Town||Post Office Dates||Additional Information|
|Bateham||1875-1902||A little hamlet of Republican Township, near the county’s southern boundary, about 13 miles almost due south of Clay Center. Wakefield was the nearest railroad station.|
The name changed from Rose Vale to Springfield on September 10, 1885. The name changed back to Rose Vale on October 24, 1887. The name changed from Rose Vale to Broughton on August 17, 1888. In 1910, it was a thriving little town in Clay Center Township, on the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific , and the Union Pacific Railroads, a few miles southeast of Clay Center. At that time, it had a money order post office with two rural delivery routes, telegraph, telephone and express service, a hotel, some good general stores, good public schools, and a population of 160. It was the busiest little town between Clay Center and Manhattan. It was razed in 1966 during the construction of Milford Lake.
|The town was established in Washington County. The post office moved to Fact when it closed in 1883.|
|Chapmanville||1879-1882||The post office moved to Idana.|
|Exeter||1871-1906||An inland hamlet about ten miles southwest of Clay Center, the county seat and most convenient railroad station.|
|Fact||1883-1903||The post office moved from Carter Creek. A small hamlet in the northeast corner of the county, it was about 15 miles from Clay Center and eight miles from Palmer, the nearest railroad station. The population in 1910 was 26.|
|Fancy Creek||1870-1901||A small settlement on the stream of the same name about 13 miles northeast of Clay Center. Palmer was the most convenient railroad station.|
|Idana||1882-1980||The post office moved from Chapmanville. The name Idana was a combination of the names of two sisters: Ida Howland and Anna Broughton. It was located in Five Creeks Township on the Union Pacific Railroad, seven miles west of Clay Center. In 1910, it had about 25 business establishments, including a bank. There was also a telegraph office and a money order post office with one rural route. The population in 1910 was 225. As of the 2020 census, the community’s population and nearby areas was 54. It is located 1.5 miles south of US Route 24 along 16th Road. Main Street today is County Road 832. The Presbyterian Church, still the center of much activity in town, was built in 1890. The community has a few vacant business buildings and several homes.
|Idylwild||1897-1901||A hamlet located 11 miles north of Clay Center. The population in 1910 was 15.|
|Ladysmith||1900-1906||A hamlet ten miles southwest of Clay Center. In 1910, it had a general store and a population of 20. The site is along Kiowa Road today.|
|Lima/Wyoming Valley||1865-1873||The name changed from Wyoming Valley to Lima on January 15, 1867.|
|Lovejoy||1873-1876||The post office moved to Industry.|
|Maple Grove||1873||The post office was open for less than six months.|
|Mulberry||1868-1869||The post office moved to Riverdale.|
|New Grant||1872||The post office was only open for about seven months.|
|Oak Hill||1871-1995||Oak Hill is a small town in Oakland Township on Chapman Creek, 15 miles southwest of Clay Center.|
|Oberg||1897-1899||The post office moved to Oscar.|
|Oscar||1899-1901||The post office moved from Oberg. The hamlet was located 12 miles north of Clay Center. In 1910 its population was 15.|
|Peach Grove||1872-1885||Established in Washington County.|
|Powellsburgh||1872-1881||The post office moved to Green.|
|Republican City/Five Creeks||1868-1875||The name changed from Five Creeks to Republican City on May 12, 1869.|
|Smithville||1873-1874||The post office was only open for about five months.|
Blackmar, Frank W.; Kansas: A Cyclopedia of State History, Vol I; Standard Publishing Company, Chicago, IL 1912.
Clay County, Kansas
Cutler, William G; History of Kansas; A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL, 1883.
Kansas Post Office History