Barton County, Kansas Extinct Towns

Several old buildings in the area have been rescued and moved to the Barton County Museum in Great Bend, Kansas by Kathy Weiser-Alexander.

Several old buildings in the area have been rescued and moved to the Barton County Museum in Great Bend, Kansas by Kathy Weiser-Alexander.

~~

In Barton County’s early years, it boasted more than two dozen towns. Now, the majority of those towns are extinct.

Fort Atkinson at Walnut Creek

Fort Zarah/Zarah

Historic Map of Barton County, Kansas.

Historic Map of Barton County, Kansas.

 

Town Post Office Dates Additional Information
Bloomingdale 1876-1883 Once situated in Independent Township, this town is gone today. However, a Bloomingdale Cemetery still stands about three miles northwest of Claflin, Kansas at the intersection of NE 130 Road and NE 120 Avenue.
Bonewitz 1882-1884
Boyd/Maherville 1874-1937 This village in Eureka township was first called Maherville when it began as a station on the Missouri Pacific Railroad. The town received a post office in June 1874. For whatever reason, the town’s name was changed to Boyd in January 1904. The post office also took on the new name. In 1910 it was a trading and shipping point for the neighborhood with a population of 40. The post office closed its doors forever in October 1937. However, the townsite still sports a number of grain silos, agricultural buildings, and one stone commercial building. It is located four miles west of Hoisington and 12 miles northwest of Great Bend on NW 40 Avenue, south of NW 110 Road.

Commercial building in Boyd, Kansas courtesy Farmer Days

Commercial building in Boyd, Kansas courtesy Farmer Days.

Brooklyn 1883-1887
Buena Vista 1879-1887 The post office moved to Hoisington in April 1887.
Cheyenne Bottom 1875-1877
Clarence 1874-1887 The post office moved to Bartholdi in February 1887.
Dundee 1881-1902

1915-1943

This village was a station and shipping point on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad. In 1910 it had a population of 68. Located eight miles southwest of Great Bend on Highway 56 the townsite still supports a grain elevator, several silos, agricultural buildings, a few homes, a cemetery, and a couple of old business buildings.
Leoville 1880-1881 Post office moved to Nathan.
Lott 1880-1882
Millard 1877-1906
Natha 1881-1887 Post office moved from Leoville.
Pride 1879-1883
Putnam 1878-1883
Redwing 1892-1896
1903-1955
Situated on the Missouri Pacific Railroad on Kansas Highway 4 six miles east of Hoisington. in 1910, it had a a flour mill, a number of general stores, a blacksmith shop, a money order post office with one rural route, and a population of 60. Today, there are just a few scattered homes and buildings.

An old tavern in Redwing, Kansas by Kathy Weiser-Alexander.

An old tavern in Redwing, Kansas by Kathy Weiser-Alexander.

State Center 1879-1894
Stickney 1898-1913 A country post office in Wheatland Township, this town was located about 22 miles north of Great Bend and 11 miles from Hoisington, the nearest shipping point. In 1910, there was a general store, and a population of 23.
Thomas 1880-1882
Verbeck 1878-1904 An inland hamlet in Barton County, it was located 21 miles northeast of Great Bend and 12 miles northeast of Hoisington, the nearest shipping point and the post office from which its mail was distributed by rural route. The population in 1910 was 29.
Webb 1880-1889

Compiled by Kathy Weiser/Legends of Kansas, October 2020

Also See:

Barton County, Kansas

Barton County Photo Gallery

Kansas Ghost Towns

Kansas Ghost Town List

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.