Every Place in Kansas – C

 

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X Y  Z

C

Place Name County Place Type Post Office Dates More Information
Cabbell Logan Lost Town 1887-1909 A post office opened in August 1887 and closed in September 1909.
Cabin Valley Cowley Lost Town
Cadmus Linn Ghost Town 1877-1902 Technically an extinct town because it no longer has a post office. However, there are a few remaining buildings and homes.
Cady Linn Lost Town 1871-1876
Cain City Ellsworth Lost Town
Calcutta Douglas Lost Town Six miles west of Lawrence.
Calhoun Shawnee Lost Town Incorporated in 1855. It was located on the north side of the Kansas River near the Jefferson County line.
California Coffey Lost Town Located in 1857 and abandoned in 1859.
California, Lucretia Lane Lost Town Established 1879. The name changed to Lucretia.
Callison Graham Lost Town
Calmar or Calmer McPherson Lost Town
Camden, Skiddy Morris Ghost Town Name change to Skiddy, which is a ghost town today.
Cameron Ferry Douglas Lost Place Operating in 1857 on the Kansas River about two and one-half miles up river from Lawrence. Hugh Cameron, Proprietor.
Camp Alert Pawnee Lost Place Was first called Camp on Pawnee Fork, in 1859. Name changed to Camp Alert, 1860; changed to Fort Larned, 1860; abandoned in 1878.
Camp Bateman Leavenworth Lost Place Temporary camp near Fort Leavenworth, 1857.
Camp Beecher, Camp Butterfield, Camp Davidson. Sedgwick Lost Place Located where Wichita now stands.
Camp Center Riley Name change Established in 1852, this was the first name of Fort Riley.
Camp Cooke Leavenworth Lost Place Temporary camp near Leavenworth, July 1857.
Camp Crawford Shawnee Lost Place Recruiting camp for Nineteenth Kansas, 1868; near Topeka.
Camp Creek Coffey Lost Place Post office 1859.
Camp Criley Pawnee Lost Place Railway camp near Garfield.
Camp Funston Riley Lost Place Camp Funston, was established at Fort Riley, Kansas, after the outbreak of World War I and work began on the camp in the summer of 1917.
Camp Jewell, Fort Jewell Jewell Lost Place
Camp Leedy Shawnee Lost Place Established in 1898 in Topeka. This was a recruiting camp for Kansas troops during the Spanish- American War.
Camp Magruder Leavenworth Lost Place Temporary camp for Utah recruits established in 1860. It was near Fort Leavenworth.
Camp on Pawnee Fork Pawnee Lost Place Camp on Pawnee Fork, 1859. Name changed to Camp Alert, 1860; changed to Fort Larned, 1860; abandoned in 1878.
Camp Pond Creek Wallace Name change. Later Fort Wallace.
Camp Sackett Douglas Lost Place
Camp Sanger Geary Lost Place At or near Fort Riley.
Camp Scott Bourbon Name change. Changed to Fort Scott 1843.
Camp Thompson Leavenworth Lost Place Established in 1858, this was a temporary camp near Fort Leavenworth.
Campbellton Johnson Lost Town Near Glenwood.
Canema Shawnee Lost Town
Canola Howard Lost Town Founded in 1871, moved to Grenola, of which town it is now part.
Canton Anderson Lost Town Located in 1858.
Canton Riley Lost Town At or near Manhattan.
Cantonment Leavenworth Leavenworth Name change Post office was established May 1828, in Clay County, Missouri; changed to Fort Leavenworth, in 1832.
Cantonment Martin, Cow Island Atchison Lost Place A military post established in October 1818.
Canville Neosho Lost Town Trading post near Shawnee in 1844.
Capaldo Crawford Lost Town NA Capaldo was a mining camp located two miles west of Frontenac.
Capioma Nemaha Lost Town 1857-1906 Capioma was established in 1856 on the Fort Leavenworth and Fort Laramie Military Road.
Caples’ Landing Doniphan Lost Place NA Operating in 1846 at present Amazonia, Missouri. Charles and William Caples, Proprietors.
Capto Station Wabaunsee Lost Town
Carbon Crawford Lost Town
Carbon Jackson Lost Town
Cariboo Butler Lost Town
Carietna Barber Lost Town
Carlisle Hamilton Lost Town East of Syracuse.
Carlyle Wallace Name Change Changed to Cleaveland.
Carmel Cloud Lost Town
Carmen Meade Lost Town
Carmi Pratt Lost Town Established 1879.
Carroll Greenwood Lost Town 1887-1903 A small community located 12 miles southeast of Eureka and 10 miles west of Toronto.
Carson Brown Lost Town Chartered 1858.
Carter Washington Name Change Changed to Brown Rock.
Carter Creek Clay Lost Town
Carter’s Springs Cherokee Lost Town
Carthage Meade Lost Town
Carthage Shawnee Lost Town Located 1857,
Carville Labette Lost Town
Cascade Chautauqua Lost Town
Cash City Clark Lost Town Vacated 1895.
Castle Rock Trego Lost Town
Catholic Mission Neosho Name Change Post office 1851. The name changed to Osage Mission, now St. Paul.
Cato Crawford Lost Town 1867-1905 Cato, Kansas, was the oldest town in Crawford County.
Cave Springs Elk Lost Town Founded about 1880 as a health resort; formerly Montrose
Cayuga Atchison Lost Town
Cedar Rooks Lost Town
Cedar Bluff Anderson Lost Town One-half mile southeast of Garnett.
Cedar Bluff Ellsworth ?? Now Wilson.
Cedar Bluff Rooks Lost Town
Cedar Creek Cowley Lost Town
Cedar Creek Bridge Doniphan Lost Place The bridge operated in 1865 on White Cloud and Highland Road at Hewlett’s Crossing.
Cedar Falls Marshall Lost Town Near Waterville.
Cedar Ford Butler Lost Town
Cedar Grove Chase Lost Town
Cedar Grove Geary Lost Town Post office 1859
Cedar Junction Johnson Lost Town 1877-1919 Located on the south bank of the Kansas River about 19 miles southwest of Kansas City
Cedar Point Geary Lost Town On Clark’s Creek, 1858.
Cedar Point Neosho Lost Town
Cedarville Smith Name Change Now Cedar
Cedron Lincoln Lost Town
Celia Gove Lost Town
Celia Rawlins Lost Town Buildings moved four miles west to McDonald in 1888; vacated in 1889.
Centennial Sumner Lost Town
Center Crawford Lost Town Near Girard, 1867,
Center Grove Shawnee Lost Town
Center Mound Republic Lost Town
Center Ridge Woodson Lost Town
Centerville Dickinson Lost Town
Centerville Jefferson Name Change None Centerville was laid out in 1865, about midway between Perry and Medina.
Centerville Leavenworth Lost Town
Centerville Osborne Lost Town Established 1873.
Centerville Wilson Lost Town
Central City Anderson Lost Town
Central City Nemaha Lost Town 1858-1863 Central City was laid out in 1855, by William Dodge southeast of Baker’s Ford.
Centralia Nemaha Lost Town One and a half miles north of the present town of that name; located in 1858; plat recorded May 30. 1860.
Cerro Gordo Jewell Name Change Location changed in 1879.
Chalk, Chalk Mound. Exonville Wabaunsee Lost Town
Chalk Bluffs Gove Lost Town On the Smoky Hill River.
Challacombe Greenwood Lost Town Chartered 1870.
Challacombe Ness Lost Town
Challender’s Shawnee Lost Town
Chandler Douglas Lost Town
Chandler Rooks Lost Town
Chantilly Kearny Lost Town Located April 1887; abandoned in 1888; houses moved to the new town site of Omaha.
Chapman’s – See Whitfield Shawnee Lost Town Voting precinct in 1854.
Chapman’s Creek Dickinson Name Change Now Chapman
Chapman’s Creek Bridge Dickinson  Built in 1859 on the Smoky Hill Trail near the mouth of Chapman’s Creek. Erected by U.S. Government.
Chapmanville Clay Name Change Now Idana.
Chard Nemaha Lost Town
Charity Clay Lost Town
Charleston, Bozarth Doniphan Lost Town Post office 1859, discontinued 1868. In 1900, Bozarth was built on the same site. It too is a lost town.
Charleston Greenwood Lost Town 1873-1884 The post office moved from Fall River.
Charleston Wabaunsee Lost Town Post office 1859.
Charleston Washington  Lost Town Chartered 1858
Charlotteville Coffey Lost Town Incorporated 1857
Chase County Chase Current County Formed from Butler and Wise counties in 1859. The county seat is Cottonwood Falls.
Chautauqua County Chautauqua Current County NA Formed from Howard County in 1875. County seat is Sedan.
Checo Cherokee Lost Town 1868-1877 Checo
Cheeseman Norton Lost Town Discontinued 1882.
Cheever Dickinson Lost Town
Chelsea Butler Lost Town Post office 1868.
Cheshire Morris Lost Town 1881-1887
Chemung Franklin Lost Town East of Princeton.
Cherokee Cherokee 1883-1885
Cherokee Wise Lost Town Incorporated 1857
Cherokee City Cherokee Lost Town 1860-1862
1867-1870
Cherokee County Cherokee Current County NA One of the original 36 counties it was formed in 1855. It was first called McGee County. The county seat is Columbus.
Cherokee Mound Cherokee 1869-1870
Cherry Cherokee 1882-1895 The post office moved to Mineral.
Cherry Creek Anderson Lost Town Post office 1868.
Cherry Creek Woodson Lost Town
Cherry Mound Anderson Lost Town
Cherryville Labette Lost Town Chartered 1869.
Chester Jefferson Lost Town 1868-1902 Chester had the first post office in Sarcoxie Township, soon after the area was settled.
Chetolah Ellis Lost Town 1888-1897 Chetolah got its start in 1886 as a potential railroad town. However, the railroad didn’t come through. The Palatine post office was moved to Chetolah in 1888.
Chetola, Chetolah Geary Lost Town Established in 1855 north of Wreford, at the mouth of Lyons Creek.
Cheyenne Osborne Lost Town
Cheyenne Bend Barton Lost Town
Cheyenne Bottom Barton Lost Town 1875-1877
Cheyenne Cheyenne Current County NA Established in 1873 from unorganized area. St. Francis is the county seat.
Chicago Sheridan Lost Town
Chicago Heights Shawnee Lost Town North of Topeka
Chicago Junction Neosho Lost Town Now part of Chanute.
Chicago Mound Lyon Lost Town None Chicago Mound was a small town that was located five miles southeast of Emporia. There was a church here, but it was gone by 1915. All that remains is the cemetery.
Chickasaw Coffey Lost Town
Chickaskia Sumner Lost Town
Chicken Creek Crossing Lyon Lost Place On the Santa Fe Trail. There were two fords here.
Chico –  Wee Checo Cherokee Lost Town
Chico Saline Lost Town Located in December 1885, abandoned in 1888; vacated in 1895.
Chicopee Crawford Extinct Town 1892-1918 Chicopee was a coal mining community.
Chillicothe Phillips Name Change Name changed to Big Bend.
Chouteau Johnson Lost Town 1881-1903 Once a hamlet of Johnson County, it got its start as a trading post along the Kansas River.
Chouteau’s Ferry Johnson Lost Place Established in 1840 on the Kansas River at Chouteau. Frederick Chouteau, Proprietor.
Chouteau Island Kearny Lost Place Arkansas River; station on the Santa Fe Trail.
Christian McPherson Lost Town
Christiana Greenwood Lost Town 1872-1873
1874-1876
Churchill Ottawa Lost Town
Cincinnati Leavenworth Lost Town Established in 1857 near Fort Leavenworth.
Cincinnati Grant Name Change Name changed to Appomattox, which also is a lost town today.
City Point Pottawatomie Lost Town
Clare Johnson Lost Town 1899-1913 Five miles southwest of Olathe, this town was first called Wainwright.
Clarence Barton Lost Town 1874-1887 The post office moved to Bartholdi in February 1887.
Clarinda Ness Lost Town
Clarion Sedgwick Lost Town
Clark Wilson Name Change Now Ward.
Clark Clark Current County NA Formed from Ford County in 1885. Ashland is the county seat.
Clarksville Johnson Lost Town
Clawson Hodgeman Lost Town
Clay Clay Current County NA Created from unorganized area in 1857. Clay Center is the county seat.
Claymore, Clymore, Tally Springs Montgomery Lost Town Established in 1867. Post office 1868.
Claytonville or Clayton Brown Lost Town Incorporated 1857
Clear Creek Ellsworth Lost Place None Stage Station on the Smoky Hill Trail.
Clear Creek Marion Lost Town Post office 1868.
Clear Creek Nemaha Lost Town 1858-1860
1870-1890
An area post office.
Clear Creek Pottawatomie Lost Town Post office 1859
Clear Fork Crossing Marshall Lost Place The crossing of the Black Vermillion River in 1857. E.F. Jones, Proprietor. Perhaps an alternate route for the Parallel Road, in 1859. A cabin was still standing in 1956.
Clearwater Sedgwick Lost Town Located April 15, 1872; abandoned in 1874; near the old Chisholm Trail.
Cleaveland Wallace Lost Town Formerly Carlyle.
Clementville Leavenworth Lost Town
Cleveland Butler Lost Town
Cleveland Kingman Lost Town
Clifford Smith Name change  The name changed to Carvil in 1903.
Clifton Woodson Lost Town
Cloud Cherokee Name change The name changed to Bero.
Cloud Cloud Lost Town Discontinued 1882.
Cloud County Cloud Current County NA Formed from Washington County in 1866. First called Shirley County. Concordia is the county seat.
Clymore, Claymore, or Tally Springs Montgomery Lost Town Established in 1867. Post office 1868.
Coahooma Lost Town Town company was incorporated in 1857.
Coal Center Linn Lost Town
Coal Creek Atchison Lost Town Post office 1858.
Coal Creek Ottawa Lost Town
Coal Siding Franklin Lost Town
Coal Switch Bourbon Lost Town
Coalburgh Linn Lost Town 1885-1889
Coalfield – See Sandfordville. Cherokee Lost Town
Coalville or Coleville Harper Name change Name changed to Danville.
Coalvale/Bovard Crawford 1880-1907
Cobb Wabaunsee Lost Town
Coburn Franklin Lost Town
Cocayne/Augustine Springs/Poe Logan Lost Town 1886-1888
1888-1895
1895-1920
It was located about 22 miles southeast of Russell Springs.
Cofachiqui Allen Lost Town Incorporated 1855
Coffey County Coffey Current County One of the original 36 counties created in 1855. Burlington is the county seat.
Coffeyville Montgomery Lost Town Old town, 1869; abandoned 1871, for new site one mile north.
Cokedale Cherokee Lost Town 1899-1906 Located at the junction of the Missouri Pacific Railroad and Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway, about six miles northwest of Columbus.
Cold Spring Allen Lost Town
Coleville – See Coalville. Harper Lost Town
Colfax McPherson Name Change The name changed to Roxbury.
Colfax. Wilson Lost Town
College Green Sedgwick Lost Town
Collins Greenwood Name Change 1870-1883 The name changed to Reece.
Colokan Greeley Lost Town Vacated 1897.
Coloma Woodson Lost Town
Colorado Lincoln Name Change Now Beverly.
Columbia Lyon Lost Town Incorporated 1855. On the river three miles below Emporia.
Columbia Ellsworth Lost Town Vacated 1901.
Columbia Miami Name Change Now Hillsdale.
Columbus Doniphan Lost Town Discontinued 1868-69.
Comanche City Comanche Lost Town Vacated 1905.
Comanche County Comanche Current County Created from unorganized area in 1867. The county seat is Coldwater.
Comet Brown Lost Town Post office 1868.
Comingo Springs Chautauqua Lost Town Vacated 1895.
Comiskey Morris Lost Town 1887-1929 A station on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, it was located on the border with Lyon County.
Concord Ottawa Lost Town
Condeley Riley Lost Town
Conductor Grant Lost Town None Located 1893. Also called Conductor City, the town was located southeast of Ulysses right up against the county line.
Conductor Haskell Lost Town
Coneburg Marion Name Change Became North Peabody in 1871.
Connersville Decatur Lost Town
Connor’s. Convers Wyandotte Lost Town
Conquest Wichita Lost Town
Conrotin Gearyu Lost Town
Constant. Cowley Name Change Now Hackney.
Conway Linn Lost Town Near Sugar Mound
Cook’s Ford, Cook’s Fork, Cook’s Ferry Jefferson Lost Town 1865-1872 Cook’s Ferry was established on the Kansas River in 1859. Butterfield Overland Despatch stage route?
Cool Cloud Lost Town
Coon Hollow Crossing Doniphan Lost Place Established in about 1844 on the St. Joseph & California Road. This rock bottom ford was probably the earliest emigrant trail from Mosquito Creek to the top of Wolf River Ridge.
Coopersburg Rice Lost Town
Cope Jackson Lost Town
Corbitt or Corbett Ford Lost Town 1885-1887 Located on the Cannonball Stage Route from Wichita, Corbitt was located just two miles north of Bucklin. There were only 3-4 homes built there and when the railroad went to Bucklin.
Corinth Osborne Lost Town On the south side of the Solomon River.
Cornhil Butler Lost Town
Cornwall Cherokee Lost Town
Coron Coffey Lost Town
Coronado Sedgwick Lost Town
Coronado Wichita Lost Town Town moved three miles to Leoti.
Cortez Graham Lost Town Discontinued 1882.
Corvallis Smith Lost Town Located in 1875, abandoned in 1888.
Corydon Morris Lost Town Chartered 1858.
Costello Montgomery Lost Town
Cottage Grove Allen Lost Town Voting precinct in 1858.
Cottonwood Chase Lost Town Across the river from Cottonwood Falls.
Cottonwood Lyon Lost Town
Cottonwood Creek, Cottonwood River Crossing Marion Lost Town On the Santa Fe Trail near Durham, 12 miles west of Lost Springs. A hotel or stage station was noted on the BLM Surveys c1860.
Cottonwood Grove Reno Name Change Now Turon
Cottonwood Grove Shawnee Name Change Now Pauline.
Cottonwood Station Marshall Lost Place Fifteen miles west of Marysville.
Council Morris Name Change Now Council Grove.
Council City Osage Name Change Now Burlingame.
Coursen’s Grove Mitchell Lost Town
Covington Smith Lost Town
Cow Creek Rice Lost Place Station on Santa Fe Trail.
Cow Creek Ellsworth Name Change Now Black Wolf.
Cow Island, Cantonment Martin  Atchison Lost Place A military post was established in October 1818.
Cowley County Cowley Current County Formed from Butler County in 1867. Winfield is the county seat.
Cowskin Grove Sedgwick Lost Town Indian village, now Waco.
Cox Creek Crawford Name Change Now Arcadia.
Coxes Creek Bourbon Lost Town
Coyote Ellis Lost Town 1868 The post office was only open for about five months.
Coyote Phillips Lost Town
Coyote Trego Lost Town Near Collyer.
Coy’s Wilson Name Change Now Coyville
Coyville Cloud Lost Town
Craig Johnson Lost Town 1899-1902 A station on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad, seven miles north of Olathe.
Crainville Republic Lost Town
Cransdale Cloud Lost Town
Crawford Lyon Lost Town
Crawford County Crawford Current County Formed from Bourbon and Cherokee Counties in 1867. The county seat is Girard.
Crawford Seminary Cherokee Lost Place 1848-1863 It is believed that Crawford Seminary, a mission for Quapaw Indians, was east of present-day B Baxter Springs. The mission post office was serviced through Missouri.
Crawfordville Crawford Lost Town Near Girard, established in 1867; abandoned in 1869; named for Governor Samuel Crawford.
Cremona Neosho Lost Town
Cresco Anderson Lost Town Chartered 1858; abandoned 1860.
Cresco Elk Lost Town
Cresson Rooks Lost Town Vacated 1893.
Creswell Cowley Name Change Now Arkansas City. See Delphi and Walnut City.
Creswell Marion Lost Town
Crittenden Butler Lost Town Founded 1861; abandoned 1865.
Critzer/Montgomery Linn Lost Town 1888-1906 On the Missouri Pacific Railroad six miles west of Mound City.
Croco Norton Lost Town
Crooked Creek Ford Lost Town 1870-1886
Crooked Creek Jefferson Lost Town 1857-1863
Crooked Creek McPherson Lost Town
Cromwell Washington Lost Town
Cross Lyon Name Change 1870-1871 Now Neosho Rapids.
Cross Creek Shawnee Name Change Cross Creek Toll Bridge 1852 on Oregon/California Trail. Trading post  in1853. Now Rossville,
Crouse Labette Lost Town
Crow Phillips Lost Town
Croweburg Crawford Lost Town 1908-1972 Croweburg was a station on the Joplin & Pittsburg electric line.
Crozier Station Johnson Lost Town
Crystal Plains Smith Lost Town
Cuba Republic Lost Town Site three miles from present-day Cuba.
Cumberland Thomas Lost Town
Cundiff Morton Lost Town Vacated 1895.
Curranville Crawford Lost Town 1905-1915 Curranville, a coal-mining town, was a station on the Kansas City Southern Railroad.
Curtis’ Ferry Riley Lost Place Ferry was established in 1858 on Big Blue River north of Manhattan, at the mouth of McIntyre’s Creek. Zach Curtis, Proprietor.
Custer Smith Lost Town
Cypress, Alamead Lincoln Lost Town Also called Allemead.
Cyrus Trego Lost Town 1879-1880
1880-1889
First called Williamsville
Czech Colony Ellis Lost Town None A colony of settlers from Bohemia came to Ellis County in 1885 and settled on land south of Ellis along the Trego County line. The town never grew big enough for a post office.

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X Y  Z