|Town||Post Office Dates||Additional Information|
|Bureau||1885-1887||A post office opened in September 1885. It was moved to McAllaster in May 1887.|
|Butte||1885-1891||A post office opened in May 1888 and closed in March 1891.|
|Cabbell||1887-1909||A post office opened in August 1887 and closed in September 1909.|
|Cocayne was established in 1886 when the county was known as St. John County. It was located about 22 miles southeast of Russell Springs. The town’s name was changed to Augustine Springs in 1888. The town’s name was changed to Poe in 1895. In 1910 it was described as a “country post office” and had a population of 12. Its post office closed on August 31, 1920.|
|Edith||1888-1933||A post office opened in March 1888 on Twin Butte Creek about 12 miles southeast of Russell Springs. In 1910, it was described as a country post office. It was closed in December 1933.|
|A post office named Elkader opened on July 20, 1887. It was located in the Smoky Hill Valley, 20 miles due south of Oakley. Its post office closed in September 1900 but reopened in August 1905. In 1910, it was described as a neighborhood trading center and had a population of 25. The town’s name was changed to Keystone in April 1912. The town name changed again to Ben Allen in May 1917. The town name changed back to Elkader in November 1925. The post office closed for good in April 1948.
|Gill||1900-1918||Gill’s post office opened in June 1900. It was located on the Smoky Hill River about 16 miles west of Russell Springs. In 1910, it was described as a neighborhood trading center and had a population of 47. Its post office closed in July 1918.|
|A post office called Gnoton opened in August 1878, but its name was changed to Groton just two months later. The post office closed in November 1879. It reopened in March 1880 but closed in February 1882.|
|Logansport began as a “town on paper” with no inhabitants, It was laid out in 1887 by the Union Pacific Town Site Company and a post office was established in August of that year. Presenting itself as the best place for the county seat of government. it was located near St. John Center. The townsite company offered to build a new hotel with running water on every floor. that could be used as a courthouse until one could be provided if Logansport was chosen as the county seat. It was on the ballot during the county seat election in December 1887 and obviously had some backing as it did fairly well, gaining 169 of the 1022 votes cast. The post office closed in April 1888. The town evidently tried to revive itself, as it gained a post office again in October 1912. It closed in December 1915.|
|Located on the Union Pacific Railroad, McAllaster was about 15 miles northwest of Russell Springs. A post office opened in May 1887 when it was moved from Bureau. It continued to operate until it closed in November 1897. The post office was briefly opened again in 1903 but lasted from only May to November. In October 1906, it reopened. In 1910, the town was described as a hamlet that had a general store with a population of 50. Its post office closed in December 1953. The area today includes just a few homes and a grain elevator.|
|Oasis||1890||This post office just a few short months. It opened in February 1890 and closed in May 1890|
|Plum||1904-1906||A post office opened in March 1904. It closed in March 1906.|
|St. John Center||None||In December 1885, St. John Center was laid out by the St. John Center Townsite Company. The company offered to convey to the public a School House Block, Fairmont Park, streets, and a Court House Block if the county seat was established there. The location of St. John Center was very near the center of the county and just east of Russell Springs. However, St. John Center dropped from existence before the 1887 county seat election was held.|
© Kathy Alexander/Legends of Kansas, updated June 2022.