Situated on Sugar Creek, a post office opened on March 15, 1855, and continues to be open today. Primarily a farming community, it became a shipping and supply town for the area when the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway came through.
In 1910, it had a population of 175 people.
We were unable to determine the current population of Centerville.
About three miles northeast of this small town is the St. Phillippine Duchesne Shrine, which marks the end of the Pottawatomie Trail of Death. Here, once stood St. Mary’s Mission, also referred to as the Sugar Creek Mission, which operated from 1839 to 1849. The site includes historical artifacts from the former St. Mary’s Sugar Creek Mission and settlement. It is located on 1525 Road, five miles west of Kansas Highway 7.