Everyplace in Kansas – U-V

Ulysses, Kansas 1909

Ulysses, Kansas 1909

A  B  C  D  E  F  G   I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X Y  Z

U-V

Place Name County Place Type Post Office Dates More Information
Udall Cowley Current Town   Named for Cornelius Udall, town promoter.
Ulysses Grant Current Town County seat. This town was moved west from its first location to the Colmor cut-off, Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad, in the summer of 1912. The first site was then called Old Ulysses.
Ulysses Mitchell Lost Town
Unadilla Pottawatomie Lost Town 1858-1859
1860-1862
Underwood Doniphan Lost Town 1882 The post office was only open for about three months before it was moved to Darwin.
Underwood Greeley Lost Town 1888-1894
Union Chase Lost Town 1863-1872
Union Osage Lost Town 1874-1900
Union Riley Lost Town
Union Smith Lost Town
Union Center Elk Lost Town Founded in 1871, vacated 1877.
Union City Dickinson Lost Town None On Turkey Creek, south side of the Smoky Hill River.
Union City Rice Lost Town
Union City Sumner Name Change Located 1870; the  name changed to Eminence.
Union Valley Lincoln Lost Town 1877-1888
Union Valley Republic Lost Town
Uniondale Clay Lost Town
Uniontown Bourbon Current Town
Uniontown Shawnee Lost Town 1856 One mile south of the Kansas River, opposite present Rossville. The post office was only in operation for about six months. Charles Randall, postmaster.
Uniontown Wyandotte Lost Town 1851-1852
Urbana Linn
Urbana Neosho Was on the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway.
Ununda Brown Lost Town 1864-1871
Upland Dickinson Lost Town 1898-1906
Upper Haddam Washington Lost Town
Upton Miami Lost Town
Urbana, Moorestown Nemaha Lost Town 1855 The settlement started in 1854 by W.W. Moon at Baker’s Ford, on the South Fork of the Nemaha River. Urbana post office, John Jett, postmaster.
Utica Ness Current Town
Utopia Greenwood Lost Town 1880-1935 A hamlet on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad 8 miles northeast of Eureka.
V
Valdor Graham Lost Town 1879
Valencia Shawnee Lost Town 1878-1933 It was located in Dover Township, on the Kansas River and the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad. In 1910, it had a general store, telegraph and express offices, a money order post office with one rural route, and a population of 50. It was located 12 miles west of Topeka.
Valeton Franklin Name Change The name changed to Silkville.
Valley Greenwood Lost Town
Valley Trego Lost Town 1907-1917 A country post office about 12 miles from Ransom.
Valley Brook Osage Lost Town 1869-1890
Valley Center Sedgwick Current Town
Valley Centre Lost Town 1872-1874
Valley City Anderson Lost Town Town platted 1857.
Valley City Neosho Lost Town
Valley Falls Jefferson Current Town
Valley Green Coffey Lost Town 1878-1879
Valley Forge Smith Lost Town See Smithville.
Valley Point Morris Lost Town Two miles northwest of Dunlap.
Vallonia Decatur Lost Town
Valverd Sumner Lost Town 1885-1886 The post office was open for less than five months.
Vanburen Graham Lost Town
Vance Wyandotte Lost Town 1890-1906
Varck Cherokee Lost Town 1881-1906 It was located on the Spring River and the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad, 14 miles southeast of Columbus.
Vassar Osage Current Town
Vedder Wyandotte Lost Town 1867 The post office was only open for eight months.
Vega Wallace Lost Town Vacated 1895.
Venango Ellsworth Lost Town 1875-1902 This place started out with a post office in 1875. It never grew, and the post office closed in 1902.
Venice Sedgwick Lost Town 1880-1892
Verbena Labette Lost Town Chartered 1869.
Verdi Wilson Lost Town 1868-1876
Verdigris Lyon Lost Town 1881-1903
Verdigris City Montgomery Lost Town None Founded by Daniel McTaggart and others in May 1869. It was made the county seat by the appointment of the Governor on June 3, 1869. A log courthouse was built, and the town flourished for a time, but the county seat was taken elsewhere, and the village went down. It was located on the east bank of the Verdigris River, a few miles south of Independence.
Verdigris Falls Greenwood Lost Town 1863-1872
1879-1880
The post office moved from Kenton in 1879.
Vermillion Marshall Current Town 1870-2018 Located near where Vermillion Creek empties into the Big Blue River. The post office closed on May 19, 2018.
Vermillion City Marshall Lost Town 1856-1859
Vermillion Osage Lost Town
Vernon Cowley Lost Town
Vernon Ness Lost Town
Versailles Osage Lost Town Located on April 15, 1857. Incorporated 1857
Vesper Lincoln Extinct Town 1872-1966
Vesta Clark Lost Town
Veteran, Veteran City Stanton Name Change Now Johnson City.
Vicksburg Jewell Lost Town
Victoria Ellis Current Town
Vidette Shawnee Lost Town 1885-1898
Vienna Pottawatomie Lost Town 1862-1883 Was located in Sherman Township.
Vietsburg Neosho Lost Town
Vilas/Burdgeville Wilson  Lost Town 1882-1954 A station on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad, it was located in Colfax Township near the east line of the county, 16 miles northeast of Fredonia. The name changed from Burdgeville to Villas on March 13, 1888.
Villota Edwards Lost Town Established 1879.
Vincent Ellis Lost Town This small village got its start in 1907 when several families of the St. Fidelis Church in Victoria, desired to have a church nearer to their farms.
Vinland Douglas Ghost Town
Vinton Riley Lost Town 1870-1888
Virginia ?? Lost Town Town company was incorporated 1857.
Viola Elk Lost Town
Viola Ellis Lost Town 1881 The post office was open for less than four months.
Viola Sedgwick Current Town
Violet/Downs Osborne Name Change The name changed to Downs.
Viroqua Morton Lost Town
Virgil Greenwood Current Town
Viva Coffey Lost Place  None A station on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.
Vliets Marshall Current Town
Voda/Colona Trego Lost Town 1904-1907
1912-1913
When this settlement began, it was a Union Pacific Railroad switch station called Colona.
Voorhees Stevens Lost Town Vacated 1893.
Vossburgh Pratt Lost Town

Next

A  B  C  D  E  F  G   I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X Y  Z