|Post Office Dates
|At one time, the nuns’ property at St. Mary’s Academy in Leavenworth had its own post office. It was named for St. Francis Xavier.
|There are still neighborhood homes and an active church.
|A station on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad, Yaggy was once a 1,350-acre plantation filled with catalpa and apple trees.
|Coal mining town.
|Now a public use area at Kanopolis Lake.
|Later part of Lawrence.
|First named Bath, then Chellis, then Kalida. It was laid out on the crest of the divide between the Neosho and Verdigris Rivers in 1875. It was on the Union Pacific Railroad.
|Yocemento was the site of a cement plant that eventually went bankrupt.
|The town’s name was changed from Allamead to Yorktown on September 5, 1894. In 1910, it was a country hamlet with a general store and a population of 60. Vesper, 12 miles south, was the nearest shipping point. It was located 16 miles northwest of Lincoln.
|Town located 1857.
|A country post office located 14 miles north of Tribune.
|Located northeast of Marion.
|Located about three miles west of Concordia.
|The name changed to Miltonvale.
|The name changed to Kendall.
|Near Fort Zarah, five miles east of Great Bend.
|A village in the northern part of Johnson County.
|Now St. John.
|Located south of Ulysses.
|Named for John B. Zook, a pioneer.
|The post office closed on August 24, 1996.
|A station on the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad, 12 miles north of Wellington.
Blackmar, Frank W.; Kansas: A Cyclopedia of State History, Vol I; Standard Publishing Company, Chicago, IL 1912.
Collections of the Kansas State Historical Society, 1911-1912, Edited by George W. Martin, Secretary, State Printing Office, Topeka, KS
Connelley, William E.; A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, Lewis, Chicago, 1918.
Cutler, William G; History of Kansas; A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL, 1883.
Historical Directory of Kansas Towns
Kansas Post Office History
Polk’s Kansas State Gazetteer and Business Directory, Volume 10, Directory Publishers, Chicago, Illinois, 1904.
Post Offices by State