Sumner County, Kansas Extinct Towns

Cowboys at the 101 Ranch south of Hunnewell in about 1880.

Cowboys at the 101 Ranch south of Hunnewell in about 1880.

Town Post Office Dates Additional Information
Abrellville 1873 The post office was only open for four months.
Adamsville 1925-1931 It was located about four miles north of Geuda Springs and a half mile west of the intersection of S Oxford Rd and E 80th St, next to an abandoned railroad.
Alton 1872-1881 Was three miles east and a mile and half south of Caldwell at about 1800 S. Mayfield Road.
Anson 1887-1958 Anson was situated on the Missouri Pacific Railroad in Sumner Township, about ten miles northwest of Wellington. In 1910, it was described as an active, thriving little town with a population of 125. At that time, it had a bank, mercantile and shipping interests, a money order office, express and telegraph accommodations, and good schools. It was located 1.5 miles south of the intersection of N Anson Rd and W 90th St N, next to an abandoned railroad.
Argyle 1874-1881
Ashton 1887-1971 In Walton Township, it was a station on the Kansas Southwestern Railway, about 16 miles southeast of Wellington. In 1910, it had a money order post office with one rural route, express and telegraph offices, several general stores, and a population of 125. There are still several homes in the area. It is located about halfway between South Haven and Arkansas City, 1.75 miles north of the intersection of S Rock Rd and U.S. Route 166, next to an abandoned railroad.
Beverly 1878-1885 It was four miles east and six north of Conway Springs on the Sumner/Sedgwick County Line at about 1400 N. Sumner Road.
Bittercreek 1879-1899 The name changed from Bitter Creek to Bittercreek on September 28, 1894. It was one mile west and six miles south of Geuda Springs.
Blackstone/Rex 1882-1905 The name changed from Rex to Blackstone on February 3, 1888. It was nine miles west and two miles north of Caldwell at about 1800 W. 150th St South.
Blandford 1879-1880
Boon 1879-1887 The post office moved to Hukle.
Bushnell 1878-1879 The post office moved from Ninnescah.
Centennial 1878-1879 It was five miles north and four miles west of Caldwell at 120th St. South and Milan Road.
Chikaskia 1871-1886 It was eight miles north and four miles west of Caldwell at 70th Street South along the Chikaskia River.
Cicero 1883-1934 It was five miles north and 2.5 miles east of Wellington on 50th Ave North along the BNSF Railroad.
Cisne 1881-1884 The post office moved from Glen Valley. When it closed in Cisne, it moved to Northfield. It was located two miles west and a mile and a half south of Conway springs at 700 N. Milan Road.
Clear Dale 1877-1900 It was seven miles west and a half mile north of Geuda Springs at 120th St. South and Oliver Road.
Cloydville 1878-1879
Concord 1879-1902 Concord was about ten miles south of Wellington and two miles southeast of Rome, the nearest railroad station.
Corbin/Hurst 1881-1974 A ghost town in Falls Township, it is 13 miles southwest of Wellington.
Dalton 1885-1939 Located in Avon Township, it was a station on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad, seven miles east of Wellington. In 1910, it had some good general stores, telegraph and express service, a money order post office, telephone connections, and a population of 52.
Doster 1878-1902 Doster was a station on the Kansas Southwestern Railroad six miles west and one and half miles north of Caldwell at 1500 South Bluff Road.
Drury 1884-1921 Located in Falls Township, it was a station on the Kansas Southwestern Railroad about 20 miles south of Wellington. In 1910, it had a money order post office, a flour mill, good local trade, was a shipping point, and a population of 28.
Dublin 1885-1887 The post office moved to Zyba.
Eminence 1872 The post office was only open for about four months.
Ewell 1895-1906 Ewell was a station on the Missouri Pacific Railroad five miles south of Conway Springs.
Glen Valley 1878-1881 The post office moved to Cisne when it closed.
Gourock None Established in about 1878, it was one mile west of Argonia.
Guelph 1872-1902 It was located in the southeastern corner of the county, six miles east and one mile south of South Haven at 170th Street South and Hillside Road.
Hessville 1872-1881
Howell None Established in 1878, it was three miles east and three miles north of Caldwell along the Chikaskia River at 1400 South Mayfield Road.
Hunnewell 1880-1960 In the 1880s, Hunnewell was a busy shipping point for Texas cattle and, like other Kansas Cowtowns, had a bawdy reputation for a time. It is a ghost town today.
Johnston None It was one mile north and 3.5 miles west of Caldwell at 1100 West 160th Street South.
Kitley 1877-1881 It was eight miles east and one mile south of South Haven at 170th St South and Woodlawn Road.
Knox 1885-1895
Littleton 1871-1879 The post office moved to Mulvane. Littleton was three miles south and one mile east of Mulvane on 120th Ave North on the east side of the Arkansas River.
London 1871-1887 It was four miles west and four miles north of Belle Plaine at 130th Ave North and Seneca Road.
Lone Star 1875-1876
Marengo/Bellevue 1877-1880 The name changed from Bellevue to Marengo on March 15, 1878. When the post office closed, it moved to Mayfield.
Massillon 1878 The post office was only open for about four months.
Meridian 1871-1872 The post office was only open for about six months. It was three miles south and four miles east of Wellington at 800 E. 50th St. South.
Millerton/Rolling Green 1875-1912 The name changed to Millerton on December 3, 1884.It was eight miles east and three miles north of Conway Springs at 120th Ave and Drury Road.
Missouri Flat 1879-1881
Ninnescah None Established in about 1870, it was four miles north of Oxford on the east side of the Arkansas Rriver.
Northfield 1884 The post office was only open for about eight months. It moved to Conway Springs when it closed.
Orie 1877-1893 It was three miles south and two miles west of  Mayfield at 50th Street South and Chikaskia Roads.
Palestine 1871-1873 It was four and half miles north and two and a half miles west of Oxford at 1500 E. 60th Ave North.
Perth 1882-1954 It was located in Downs Township on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe, and the Chicago and Rock Island Railroads, 12 miles southwest of Wellington. In 1910, it had a bank, two milling companies, several retail establishments, express and telegraph offices, a money order post office with one rural route, and a population of 150.
Pontoon 1879-1880
Portland 1886-1940 It was located in Guelph Township on the Kansas Southwestern Railroad 15 miles southeast of Wellington. In 1910, it had a mill, about a dozen retail stores, telegraph and express offices, a money order post office with one rural route, and a population of 69.
Purcell 1885-1887 The post office moved to Anson.
Riverdale 1887-1973 Located on the Chicago and Rock Island and the Missouri Pacific Railroads, eight miles north of Wellington. In 1910, it had telegraph and express offices, a local retail trade, a money order post office, and a population of 50.
Rome 1874-1933 Located in Jackson Township, it was on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad, eight miles south of Wellington. In 1910, it had a post office, an express office, three milling companies, a bank, several retail establishments, and a population of 82.
Roy 1879-1886
Salt City/Remanto 1872-1885 The name changed from Remanto to Salt City on October 26, 1874. It was immediately north of Geuda Springs at 120th Street South and the Cowley Line.
Salt Springs None Established in about 1878, it was five miles south of Oxford at 60th Street South and Oxford Road.
Slate Creek 1877-1878
Spring Dell 1879-1880 The post office was only open for about nine months.
Sumner 1871-1882 It was two and half miles south and a half miles east of Anson along Slate Creek at 50th Ave North at Slate Creek.
Sunny Slope 1877-1884 It was two miles east and two miles north of  Conway Springs at Chikaskia Rd and 110th Ave North.
Sunset 1880-1888 It was five miles west of Conway Springs at 90th Ave North and Dixon Road.
Swedona/Belinda 1877-1885 The name changed from Belinda on June 5, 1877. It was one and a half mile east and four miles south of Conway Springs on 50th Ave North between Chikaskia and Caldwell Road.
Valverd 1885-1886 The post office was open for less than five months.
Whitman 1890-1907 It was three and half miles north and one mile west of Oxford at 1600 E. 50th Ave North.
Zyba 1887-1906 The post office moved from Dublin. Zyba was a station on the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad, 12 miles north of Wellington. The population in 1910 was 27. It was three miles south and one mile west of Peck on 1200 North West Road.

©Kathy Alexander/Legends of Kansas, July 2022.

Also See:

Historic Sites

Kansas Counties

Kansas Destinations

Sumner County

Sumner County Photo Gallery