Every Place in Kansas – B

Butler County sculpture near Augusta by Kathy Alexander.

Butler County sculpture near Augusta by Kathy Alexander.

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X Y  Z

B

Place Name County Place Type Post Office Dates More Information
Bachelder Riley Name change. Incorporated 1858. Now Milford.
Bachelor McPherson Lost Town
Bacon Lincoln Lost Town 1879-1902 A small hamlet located in Spillman Creek Valley, about 20 miles northwest of Lincoln. Sylvan Grove on the Union Pacific Railroad was the nearest railroad station.
Baden Douglas Lost Town 1883-1891
Badger City, Badger Creek Lyon Lost Town 1873-1896 Badger Creek was southwest of Reading and two miles east of Lang.
Bagdad Coffey Lost Town 1889-1890 The post office was open for less than seven months.
Bagley Montgomery Lost Town 1889-1901
Baileyville Nemaha Current Town
Baker Brown Lost Town 1882-1933 In June 1882, Baker was established by the Missouri Pacific Railroad. It was named for the Baker family, the original owners of the town site. It was located eight miles south of Hiawatha.
Baker’s Ford Nemaha Lost Place NA California Trail Crossing. Afterward, a town called Urbana was established here, which is a lost town today.
Baker’s Park Wyandotte Lost Town Also called Barker’s Tank, it was eight miles from Wyandotte.
Bala Riley Extinct Town Welsh population settlement.
Baldwin City Douglas Current Town 1857-Present On the Santa Fe Trail.
Baldwin’s Ferry Douglas Lost Place NA Operated on the Kansas River at Lawrence, 1855-72, John Baldwin, proprietor.
Ballard Smith Lost Town
Baltimore Cowley Lost Town
Bancroft Coffey Lost Town 1876-1882
Bancroft Nemaha Lost Town 1891-1941 Bancroft was located in Wetmore Township on the Missouri Pacific Railroad.
Bangor Coffey Lost Town 1871-1886  Located at the junction of Dinner and South Big Creeks, it was founded by people from Boston, Massachusetts.
Banks Osborne Lost Town
Banks’ Ferry Doniphan Lost Place NA On the Missouri River at Iowa Point, operated 1844-the 1860s. William Banks & Andrew J. Hendren, proprietors.
Banner Trego Lost Town 1879-1918
Bannock Edwards Lost Town
Bannville Comanche Lost Town
Bantam Ellis Lost Town 1906-1910 Located about 12 miles northwest of Hays, the post office moved to Hyacinth in 1910.
Baptiste, Baptiste Springs Franklin Name Change P.O. changed to Peoria; two miles southeast of Ottawa.
Barber County Barber Current County NA Established in 1867 from unorganized area. The county seat is Medicine Lodge.
Barclay Osage Lost Town 1873-1955 A Quaker community settled in 1872.
Barker’s Tank Wyandotte Lost Town Also called Baker’s Park, it was eight miles from Wyandotte.
Barnard Lincoln Ghost Town Established about 1880-1884; end of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad from Abilene through Minneapolis; named for J. F. Barnard.
Barnes Washington Current Town 1872-Present On the Missouri Pacific Railroad.
Barnesville Bourbon Lost Town 1856-1906 The town was laid out, in 1858, by J. and F. Barnes, who also built a hotel the same year.
Barrel Springs Greeley Lost Place NA In early days, a traveler sank two barrels into the north bank of the stream just across from the hole known to many as Jumbo. The spring flowed into the barrels and out into the creek bed.
Barrett Marshall Lost Town 1857-1940 All that is left today of this old town is the old stone schoolhouse and the Barrett Cemetery.
Barretts Hill Wilson Lost Town 1867-1870
Barrett’s Mills Woodson Lost Town
Barry Greenwood Lost Town 1874-1903 Established in Coffey County (site moved).
Bartgestown Rice Lost Town
Bartleson Johnson Lost Town 1872-1874
Bartlett Labette Current Town 1886-2018 Robert A. Bartlett, townsite owner. The post office closed on May 19, 2018.
Bartlett’s Ferry Geary Lost Place NA Operated 1857-67 on the Smoky Hill River. Captain Samuel Bartlett, Proprietor. Near the mouth of the river, northeast of Junction City.
Barton Labette Name Change Name changed to Penfield.
Barton County Barton Current County NA Established in 1867 from unorganized area. The county seat is Great Bend.
Bartondale Russell Lost Town 1878-1891
Base Line Crawford Lost Town 1870-1872
Basehor Leavenworth Current Town 1888-Present Named for Ephraim and Ruben Basehor, pioneers.
Bashan Lincoln Lost Town 1880-1902
Bassett Allen Current Town None A small village located on the Neosho River, about two miles south of Iola.
Bassett Woodson
Bateman Clay Lost Town
Bath Woodson Lost Town The name changed to Defiance.
Batino Cheyenne Lost Town
Battlesville Miami Lost Town Indian village at the junction of Bull and Indian Creeks.
Battle Creek Lincoln Lost Town 1873-1879
Battle Hill McPherson Lost Town
Battle Hill Miami Lost Town Chartered 1858, by O.C. Brown.
Baty Morris On the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad.
Bauer
Bavaria Saline Ghost Town -1986 On the Kansas Pacific Railroad. The post office closed on January 1, 1986.
Baxter Springs Cherokee Current Town 1867-Present Old cowtown, Battle of Fort Blair in the Civil War, on Route 66.
Bayard Allen Lost Town 1887-1943 Was a station on the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway in the northeast part of the county, some 15 miles from Iola.
Bayne/Ingalls Lincoln Lost Town 1873-1888
1888-1894
The town of Ingalls’ name was changed to Bayne on April 10, 1888.
Bayne Russell Lost Town 1883-1888
Bayne’s Bridge Doniphan Lost Place Built in 1873 on the Wolf River, south of Highland. W. J. Bayne, Proprietor. Bridge erected by Doniphan County. This crossing served Fort Leavenworth and the Great Nemaha Subagency in 1842 and may also have been used by emigrants from St. Joseph and Atchison. It was part of the Elwood & Marysville Territorial Road of 1859.
Bayneville Sedgwick Lost Town 1884-1934 A station on the Missouri Pacific Railroad in Ohio township, 12 miles southwest of Wichita.
Bazaar/Mary Chase Ghost Town 1860-1974 Still has a school, church, scattered buildings, and a cemetery.
Bazine Ness Current Town 1874-Present
Beach Grove Graham Lost Town
Beach Trading Post, Beach Valley Marion Lost Town Near Lyons in Rice County. It was incorporated in 1860 by A. Beach and others.
Beach Valley Rice
Bear Creek Stanton Lost Town
Beattie Marshall Current Town
Beatty’s Ferry Atchison Lost Place NA Operated 1856-59 on Independence Creek about two miles above its junction with Deer Creek. A toll bridge was constructed by the Kansas Express Stage Co. c1860. Joseph B. Beatty, Proprietor.
Beaubien & Ogee Ferry Shawnee? Lost Place NA Operated 1849-53 on the Kansas River at the mouth of Cross Creek. Charles Beaubien and Lewis Ogee, Proprietors.
Beaumont Butler Semi-Ghost Town 1880-1997 On the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad. In Glencoe Township.
Beaver Barton Extinct Town -1992 The post office closed on December 26, 1992.
Beaver Cowley Lost Town
Beaver Osborne Lost Town
Beaumont Cherokee Lost Town 1879 The post office originally moved from Lostine. It was only open for seven months.
Beaver Smith Name Change Name changed – to Reamsville 12/26/1992
Beaver Creek Cloud Lost Town It had a post office from April 1871 to December 1877.
Beavertown Miami Lost Town Four miles east of Paola.
Bed Rock Lost Town
Bedford Stafford Lost Town Vacated 1899.
Bee Montgomery Lost Town 1881-1887 Six miles from Havana.
Beekman Washington Lost Town
Beeler, Beelerville Ness Current Town 1886-2009  Named for Elmer E. Beeler, postmaster. The post office closed on May 30, 1009.
Beersheba Hodgeman
Bel Aire Sedgwick Current Town
Belbone Sumner Lost Town 1879 Chartered 1879
Belfast Gray Lost Town
Belfield, Bellfield Rush Lost Town 1874-1887
Belgica Greeley Lost Town 1887-1899
Belinda Barber Lost Town 1882 The post office was open for less than four months.
Belknap Chautauqua Lost Town
Bell Leavenworth Lost Town 1871-1872
Bell Washington Lost Town
Bell City Lane Lost Town
Bell Grove Greenwood Lost Town 1870-1872 The post office moved to Climax.
Belle Meade Meade Lost Town
Belle Plaine Sumner Current Town 1871-Present
Belle Prairie Rush Lost Town None
Belle Springs Dickinson Lost Town 1876-1890
Bellefont Ford Lost Town 1878-1896
1904-1957
Planners of Bellefont hoped it would be a railhead and an important junction for the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad. However, that didn’t happen. Today there are but a few farms and a grain elevator.
Bellegarde Pottawatomie Lost Town 1872-1879
Bellemont Greenwood Lost Town
Belleville Republic Current Town County Seat. Founded in 1869 and named to honor Arabelle Tutton, wife of a first settler.
Bellevue Jackson Lost Town
Bellgrade Coffey Lost Town 1883-1886
Belmont Doniphan Also called Bellemont or Whitehead, this was a trading post established by James R. Whitehead in January 1852. He operated a ferry at this location in 1853. The town was platted and filed on June 20, 1858. Belmont was the temporary county seat of Doniphan County. It was incorporated in 1860 and vacated by 1876.
Belmont Kingman Extinct Town 1879-1971 A farming community located 12 miles southeast of Kingman.
Belmont, Fort Belmont Woodson Lost Town 1857-1878 A trading post was established in 1856. The town was founded in 1857 in a wooded area on Sandy Creek. Belmont was south of Yates Center and there is an old cemetery there.
Beloit Mitchell Current Town County Seat. Named for A. A. Bell, the first settler who erected a log cabin on the north bank of the Solomon River in
1868.
Belpre Edwards Current Town 1879-Present
Belvidere Kiowa Extinct Town -1996 The post office closed on November 23, 1996.
Belvoir Douglas Lost Town 1869-1903  Located on the Santa Fe Trail. The old townsite was flooded when Clinton Lake was established.
Belvue Pottawatomie Current Town On the Kansas Pacific Railroad.
Beman Morris Lost Town 1875-1906 Beman was located on one of the tributaries of the Neosho River. It was in the northeast corner of Morris County, about 13 miles from Council Grove.
Bendena Doniphan 1888-
Benedict, Benedict Junction Wilson Current Town 1868- Benedict Branch of Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.
Benicia Douglas Lost Town Located on the south bank of the Kansas River about three miles southeast of Lecompton and five and one-half miles northwest of Lawrence. It once had a population of 20. This town was incorporated by the Bogus Legislature in 1855.
Benicia Morris Lost Town
Bennett’s Station Marshall Lost Town 1858-1859 Probably at the home of Moses Bennett on Coon Creek, where he kept a feed and supply station.
Bennettsville Russell Lost Town 1873-1874
Bennington Ottawa Current Town 1864-Present
Ben’s Ranch Ellsworth Lost Town 1875-1894 Eleven miles northeast of Ellsworth.
Bentley Sedgwick Current Town 1888-Present
Benton Butler Current Town 1872-Present
Berea Franklin Lost Town 1863-1870
Berlin Bourbon Lost Town 1879-1903 In 1910 had a population of 15. It was located about 15 miles northwest of Fort Scott.
Berlin Riley Lost Town 1872-1876
Bern Nemaha Current Town Settled by Swiss immigrants who first arrived in about 1854. A branch of the California Trail passed right over
the Bern townsite.
Bernal Reno Lost Town 1887-1913 Located seven miles south of Hutchinson, it was on the Missouri Pacific Railroad. In 1910, it had telephone connections, was an area trading point, and had a population of 40.
Bero Cherokee Lost Town
Berryton Shawnee Lost Town Located south of Topeka; named after George Washington Berry, pioneer.
Bertie Graham Lost Town
Berwick Nemaha Lost Town 1887-1937 Berwick was a little station on the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad.
Bethany Osborne Name Change Now Portis
Bethany Smith Lost Town
Bethel Marion Lost Town 1870-1883
Bethel Wyandotte Extinct Town 1889-1996 It was located on the issouri Pacific Railroad, about ten miles west of Kansas City. In 1910 it had a money order post office, telegraph and express facilities, and a population of 25.
Beulah Crawford Extinct Town 1874-1955  Located in Sheridan Township, the town was founded in 1874 by a colony of Methodists.
Beverley Sumner Lost Town 1878-1885 It was four miles east and six north of Conway Springs on the Sumner/Sedgwick County Line at about 1400 N. Sumner Road.
Beverly Lincoln Current Town
Biays Russell Lost Town 1885-1887
Bichet Marion Lost Town None French immigrants settled in the Cottonwood Valley from 1857 to 1885. The place still has an old one-room school.
Big Bend Jewell Lost Town
Big Bend Phillips Lost Town
Big Bend Republic Lost Town
Big Blue City Johnson Lost Town 1858 Chartered 1858.
Big Creek Bourbon Lost Town Post office 1859.
Big Creek Station Ellis Lost Town 1867 The post office moved from Fort Fletcher, only open for four months. The post office moved to Hays.
Big Hill or Spring Hill Montgomery Lost Town Post office and Indian town
Big John, Big John Spring Morris Lost Place Campsite on the Santa Fe Trail, east of Council Grove. It was named for Big John Walker, a member of the Sibley survey party of 1825.
Big Labette Neosho Lost Town
Big Springs Douglas Ghost Town Northwest corner of the county, three miles from the Kansas River. It was on the Oregon Trail. Still a small village.
Big Stranger Leavenworth Extinct Town Located in Stranger Township on the Union Pacific Railroad.
Big Timber Ellis Lost Town Post office 1868.
Big Timber Riley Lost Town
Big Timber Rush Lost Town None
Big Timbers Wallace Lost Town
Big Turkey Creek Ranch Marion Lost Town On Santa Fe Trail; Post office 1864.
Bigelow Marshall Lost Town 1881-1960 The town was demolished during the construction of Tuttle Creek Lake.
Billingsville Norton Lost Town
Bill’s Creek Chase Lost Town 1871 The post office was only open for eight months. The postmaster was William Barnes. It was located about eight miles south of Cedar Point.
Birch Sedgwick Lost Town 1879-1894 A station on the Missouri Pacific Railroad.
Bird City Cheyenne Current Town 1884-Present
Bird Nest Pawnee Lost Town 1883-1891
Birley Chase Lost Town 1876-1901 It was first settled in about 1868. W.H. Birley was the first postmaster. In 1910, its population was 32.
Birmingham Haskell Lost Town Vacated 1895.
Bisbee Howard Branch of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.
Bishop Jewell Lost Town
Bishop Shawnee Also called Sugar Works and Hansford, it was on the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad  in 1887.
Bismark Lincoln Lost Town
Bismark Wabaunsee Lost Town German name.
Bismarck Grove Douglas Lost Pace NA Bismarck Grove was once one of the most beautiful natural parks in the state. Later a fairground. Now part of Lawrence.
Bison Rush Current Town 1888-Present
Bitter or Bittertown Lyon Lost Town
Bittercreek Sumner Lost Town 1879-1899 The name changed from Bitter Creek to Bittercreek on September 28, 1894. It was one mile west and six miles south of Geuda Springs.
Black Bob Johnson Lost Town 1875-1879 Indian village.
Black Hawk Osborn Lost Town
Black Jack Douglas Lost Town 1858-1894 On the Santa Fe Trail. The Battle of Black Jack was fought here on June 2, 1856. It is a historic site today.
Black Wolf Ellsworth Lost Town 1879-1908 On the Kansas Pacific Railroad. Only grain elevators are left today.
Black Vermillion Crossing Marshall Lost Place NA On the Oregon Trail. in about 1841. James H. Marshall’s grave 1844; Louis Tremble corduroy toll bridge and blacksmith c1850-56. In 1860, the keeper of the Big Vermillion toll bridge tallied an average of 75 trains per day, mostly ox teams.
Blackjack Spring Pottawatomie Lost Place NA Campsite on Fort Leavenworth-Fort Riley Military Road at St. George.
Blacksmith/Centre Grove Shawnee Lost Town 1871-1872 The post office was named Centre Grove for less than a month before changing to Blacksmith.
Blackstone/Rex Sumner Lost Town 1882-1905 The name changed from Rex to Blackstone on February 3, 1888. It was nine miles west and two miles north of Caldwell at about 1800 W. 150th St South.
Blaine Pottawatomie Extinct Town 1874-1976. On the Oregon Trail. It still has a beautiful church and a few residents.
Blair Doniphan Extinct Town 1908-1957 Joel P. Blair, townsite owner.
Blairs Station Doniphan Lost Town 1871-1872 Joel P. Blair, postmaster.
Blaiseville Wallace Lost Town
Blakeman Rawlins Lost Town West of Atwood; townsite sold in 1910.
Blake’s Town – See Kansas Falls Lost Town
Blanche Lost Town 1897-1901
Branchville Marshall Lost Town 1871-1879 The post office was named for Horatio Blanchard, who was the postmaster and early settler. It was located in Walnut Township.
Bland Bourbon Lost Town 1894 A country post office near Garland that was in the home of J.S. Walker. The post office was only open for four months.
Bland Reno Lost Town 1900-1905 Was located about 12 miles east of Hutchinson, in the Kisiwa Creek Valley.
Blandford Sumner Lost Town 1879-1880
Blanton Douglas Lost Town 1855-1856 Blanton’s Bridge at Oregon & California Trail crossing of the Wakarusa River south of Lawrence in 1855. Napoleon Blanton, Proprietor. The toll bridge was authorized by the 1855 Territorial Legislature. Napoleon Blanton, postmaster.
Blendon Sedgwick Lost Town 1875-1884 Located in Attica Township, ten miles west of Wichita. In the early 1880s, it had two stores, a restaurant, and a blacksmith shop.
Block Miami John Block, pioneer.
Bloom Ford Ghost Town On the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad in 1887.
Bloomfield Elk Lost Town 1872-1879
Bloomfield ?? Lost Town 1884-1888 Post office from 01/21/1884 to 03/02/1888.
Bloomfield Montgomery Lost Town None A short distance northeast of Elk City, it was established in about 1868 but succumbed to Elk City.
Blooming Grove Linn Lost Town Site of a Chouteau trading post.
Bloomingdale Barber Lost Town
Bloomingdale Barton Lost Town 1876-1883 The Bloomingdale Cemetery still stands about three miles northwest of Claflin, Kansas.
Bloomingdale McPherson Name Change. Now Roxbury.
Bloomington Atchison Name Change. Now Rushville.
Bloomington Douglas Name Change. Post office 1855, Incorporated 1857. Changed to Clinton, 1858.
Blue Jackets Crossing Douglas Lost Place Also called Blue Jackets Ford. Crossing of the Wakarusa River c1855. George Bluejacket, Proprietor. The settlement was incorporated as “Sebastian” and consisted of a hotel run by Charles or George Bluejacket, and a store operated by William “Dutch Bill” Greiffenstein. George Bluejacket was an incorporator of Sebastian. William C. Quantrill crossed here in 1863 to attack Lawrence.
Blue Mound Douglas On the Oregon Trail southeast of Lawrence.
Blue Mound Linn Current Town
Blue Mound Wallace Lost Town
Blue Rapids Marshall Current Town On the Missouri Pacific Railroad.
Blue Stem Russell Lost Town 1877-1887 The post office moved to Lucas.
Bluemont. Riley Lost Town Vacated 1869; now Agricultural College grounds.
Bluff City Harper Current Town 1878-Present
Bluff Creek Harper Lost Town Now Bluff
Bluff Creek Ranch Ford Lost Town
Bluffton Coffey Lost Town 1888-1892
Bluffton Ottawa Lost Town
Bluffton Stage Station Trego Lost Place NA Bluffton Station in Trego County, Kansas, was a stop on the Butterfield Overland Despatch stage line on the Smoky Hill Trail.
Bluffville Ellsworth Lost Town 1875-1887 Moved to Geneseo, in Rice County, in 1887.
Bly Clark Lost Town
Boaz Greenwood Lost Town 1882-1883
Bodarc Butler Lost Town 1892-1904 A little hamlet on Walnut Creek, about six miles southeast of Augusta, the most convenient railroad station.
Bodaville Riley Lost Town 1895-1905 William Bode, pioneer.
Bodock Butler Lost Town 1883-1885 The post office moved to Latham.
Bogue Graham Current Town
Boicourt/Barnard/Cobb Linn Lost Town 1869-1964 Boicourt was once located about three miles northwest of Trading Post.
Bolcker Washington Lost Town
Boling Leavenworth Lost Town 1882-1918 On the Leavenworth & Topeka Railroad about nine miles southwest of Leavenworth.
Bolton/Breneman Montgomery Extinct Town 1886-1930 Bolton was laid out in 1886 when the railroad was extended to that point. It was named for Jeff Bolt, rancher. It was a station on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad. In 1910, it had a money order post office and was supplied with telegraph, telephone, and express service. Serving as a shipping and supply point, it had a population of 75 at that time. Today, there are a few houses and a Friends Church remaining. It is located on Highway 75 between Caney and Independence.
Bonaccord Dickinson Lost Town 1884-1902 It was in the western part of the county, not far from the Saline County line, about 12 miles from Abilene.
Bonasa Wichita Name Change. Changed to Leoti.
Bonanza Cherokee Name Change. Now Galena; also called Empire City and Short Creek.
Bonaville McPherson Lost Town
Bond/Lone Star Douglas Extinct Town 1875-1953 First settled in 1854 by pro-slavery advocates who wanted slavery to be legal in Kansas Territory. The town name changed from Bond to Lone Star in 1899. This area still has an active church, another commercial building, and several area homes.
Bond’s Landing Doniphan Lost Place Established 1846 about 15 miles above St. Joseph on the Missouri River at the mouth of Dillon’s Creek; former Jamestown Landing?
Bone Springs Reno Lost Town 1874-1902
Bonewitz Barton Lost Town 1882-1884
Bonifield & Roberts Ferry Doniphan Lost Place NA Established in 1852 on the Missouri River in Boston, Missouri. Peter S. Roberts, Proprietor. The road on the Kansas side was called the “Boston Ferry Road” during the Territorial period.
Bonita Johnson Lost Town 1890-1934 A small town located about five miles south of Olathe.
Bonner Springs Wyandotte Current Town
Bonny Doon Ness Lost Town
Bonton Ferry Doniphan Lost Place NA Established in 1849 on the Missouri River six miles above St. Joseph. A town named Fairview was platted in 1857 at the landing on the Kansas side.
Boon Sumner Lost Town 1879-1887 The post office moved to Hukle.
Boonville Coffey Lost Town At or near present Ottumwa.
Booth Pawnee Lost Town 1881-1884 The post office moved from Fort Larned.
Booth Reno Name Change. The name changed to Fernie, 1903.
Border Elk Lost Town
Bosland/Attica Ellsworth Name Change. 1871-1873 Name change from Attica to Bosland after five months. In 1873, Bosland became Wilson.
Bosna Trego Lost Town 1880-1921 It was located on Big Creek, about 12 miles southwest of Wakeeney, the most convenient railroad station.
Boss Logan Lost Town On the Kansas Pacific Railroad.
Boston Chautauqua Lost Town Founded in 1871
Boston Riley Lost Town Now Manhattan.
Boston Ferry Doniphan Lost Place NA Established in 1851 on the Missouri River at Amazonia, Missouri. Perhaps named for the Boston family. John Boston lived on the Kansas side in 1868.
Boston Ferry Doniphan Lost Place NA Established in 1849 on the Missouri River above St. Joseph, Missouri. A town named Fairview was platted in 1857 at the landing on the Kansas side.
Boston Mills Cherokee Lost Town 1874-1893  Located on the Spring River about two miles north of Empire City.
Bourassa’s Mills, Bursaw’s Mills Wabaunsee Lost Town Indian village near Maple Hill.
Bourbon County Bourbon Current County NA Established in 1855, it was one of the original 36 counties. The county seat is Fort Scott.
Bourbonnais Toll Bridge Shawnee Lost Place  NA Located on Bourbonnais Creek, two miles east of St. Mary’s Mission on the Oregon Trail. Peter Bourbonnais, a mixed-blood Potawatomi Indian, was the proprietor. He also owned a sawmill and trading post at this location.
Bovard Crawford Lost Town
Bowdenville Smith Lost Town
Bowling Green Franklin Lost Town 1855-1857
Boyd/Maherville Barton Lost Town 1874-1937 First called Maherville when it began as a station on the Missouri Pacific Railroad.
Boyer Rawlins Lost Town
Boyle Jefferson Lost Town 1872-1882
1884-1945
Boyle was a station on the Union Pacific Railroad.
Box City Cowley Lost Town
Bozarth, Charleston Doniphan Lost Town 1901-1903 The post office was established in 1900 on the old site of Charleston.
Bradley Springs Ellsworth Lost Town 1874-1883 Moved to Winston in 1883.
Brainerd/Holden Butler Lost Town 1870-1907 The name changed from Holden to Brainerd on January 25, 1886
Braman Hill Wyandotte Lost Town 1878-1887 The post office moved from Six Mile. When it closed, it moved to Summundowot.
Bramlette Woodson Lost Town
Branchport, Holmwood Jewell Lost Town
Brantford Washington Lost Town
Bray Sherman Lost Town
Brazilton Crawford Lost Town 1882-1966
Breezy Hill Crawford Lost Town 1916-1919 A small unincorporated mining camp located about two miles east of Arma. It had many homes, a school, and several businesses at one time.
Bremen Marshall Current Town
Brenham Kiowa Lost Town On the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad in 1887.
Brenner Doniphan Lost Town 1871-1917 The town was laid out by the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad in 1872.
Brett Norton Lost Town
Brewster Thomas Current Town 1887-Present
Briar’s Town
Brickton Montgomery Lost Town 1905 The post office’s order of change was rescinded.
Bridge Saline Lost Town
Briggsvale Wyandotte Lost Town Located at the Delaware Baptist Mission 1847.
Bridlong Cherokee Lost Town
Brigham Greenwood Lost Town 1890-1893
Bright Ness Lost Town Established 1879.
Bristol Coffey The name came from ‘brycgstow,’ the “site of the bridge”; a name widely used in England and a popular town name in America, where there were 25 Bristols.
Bristol Jefferson Lost Town On the north bank of the Kansas River.
Bristow Cloud
Bristow Osborne Lost Town
Britton Butler Lost Town 1872-1877 The post office moved to Cedar Ford.
Brittsville Mitchell Name Change. Now Simpson.
Broadview Saline Lost Town
Broderick Pottawatomie Lost Town 1891-1903
Bronson/Wilsonville Bourbon Current Town 1875-Present The name changed from Wilsonville to Bronson for Ira Bronson, a Fort Scott Attorney. It was on the Missouri Pacific Railroad.
Brookdale Rice Name Change. Now Lyons.
Brookdale Rush Lost Town 1875-1888
Brooklyn Barton Lost Town 1883-1887
Brooklyn Douglas Lost Town
Brooklyn Lincoln Lost Town
Brooklyn Linn Lost Town 1857-1871 Chartered 1858. A  pro-slavery settlement that got its start in the fall of 1855
Brooks Wilson Lost Town 1880-1905 A station on the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad near the south line of the county. It was located in Newark Township, 15 miles southeast of Fredonia. After its post office closed, it received its mail from Cherryvale in Montgomery County. The population in 1910 was 21.
Brookville Saline Current Town Was on the Kansas Pacific Railroad in 1867. Once a cowtown, now a semi-ghost town.
Broughton Clay Lost Town In the mid to late 1800s, it is believed that it was wiped out by a flood.
Bross Kingman Lost Town
Brough, Hayes Nemaha Lost Town 1877-1880 This town was first called Hayes. Changed to Brough in 1877.
Brown Brown Current County NA One of the original 36 counties, it was established in 1855. Hiawatha is the county seat.
Brown. Coffey Lost Town None A station on the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway.
Brown Rock, Carter Washington Lost Town Formerly Carter.
Browntown Butler Lost Town None Company-owned Oil Town.
Brownell Ness Current Town 1880-Present
Brownlee Atchison Lost Town 1885-1887
Brownlow Butler Lost Town 1871-1876 The post office moved to Sunnyside. It was located north of Latham.
Brown’s Creek Mitchell Lost Town
Brown’s Grove Pawnee Lost Town
Brownville Shawnee Lost Town Incorporated 1857.
Bruce Crawford Lost Town 1898-1906
Bruce City Dickinson Lost Town
Bruno Butler Lost Town None Isaac Newland was one of the town organizers.
Bruno Montgomery Lost Town 1871 The post office was only open for a little more than five months.
Brush Creek, Neutral Cherokee Name Change The name changed to Neutral.
Brushville Cherokee Lost Town 1858-1860
1861-1862
1866-1867
Brushville was originally settled within the Cherokee Neutral Lands. It was located west of Riverton.
Bryan/Wathena Doniphan Name Change The name changed to Wathena in 1856. Milton Bryan was the first postmaster. The name changed to Wathena.
Bryan’s Bridge Geary Lost Place NA Established in 1858 on Madison Creek, on the Fort Riley-Fort Kearny Military Road. Lieutenant Francis Bryan contracted to build ten bridges on small creeks north of Fort Riley. Contract awarded to Alfred Hebard for $12,500. The creeks identified were Madison, Miry, Middleton, Loup, Parsons, Uphill, Rocky Fork, Crooked Creek, Goodale’s Branch, and Bryan’s Fork.
Bryant Butler Lost Town 1872-1885
Buchanan Saline Lost Town Located near the mouth of Solomon River, incorporated in 1857,
Buckcreek Jefferson Lost Town 1899-1905 Buckcreek was a station on the Union Pacific Railroad. Today the old Buckcreek school still stands at the site.
Buckeye Dickinson Lost Town 1900-1904 Located in Buckeye Township, about eight miles north of Abilene. The population was 40 in 1910.
Bucklin Ford Current Town 1885-Present
Buckner Hodgeman Lost Town 1880-91 Arthur Dickinson, postmaster.
Buckner Creek Crossing Hodgeman Lost Place NA Located on the Fort Hays-Fort Dodge Military Road. Buckner Creek was named for Simon B. Buckner c1855, who later became a Confederate general. Coincidentally, the ranch at the crossing was owned by a man named Buckner. Buckner Creek was named for Simon B. Buckner c1855, who later became a Confederate general. Coincidentally, the ranch at the crossing was owned by a man named Buckner.
Bucks Grove Jackson Lost Town
Buda Ness Lost Town
Buckeye Trego Lost Town Established in 1886, Buckeye was located somewhere south of the Smoky Hill River.
Buckeye City Chase Lost Town None Four log cabins constituted this settlement that was named for Buckeye Creek. The settlers here were Ohio people, hence the name Buckeye.
Bucyrus Miami Ghost Town
Buel Mitchell Lost Town
Buenna Vista Barber Lost Town
Buena Vista Barton Lost Town 1879-1887 The post office moved to Hoisington in April 1887.
Buffalo Geary Lost Town The Town association was incorporated in 1857.
Buffalo Doniphan Lost Town Near Eagle Springs.
Buffalo, Buffalo Park Gove Lost Town Was on the Kansas Pacific Railroad.
Buffalo Wilson Current Town 1867-Present Located in Clifton Township.
Buffalo Creek Ellsworth Lost Town
Buffalo Junction/Yuma Cloud Name Change The name was changed to Yuma. A post office was operated at Yuma from May 1880 and December 1900. the settlement was populated from 1878 until the 1930s. Yuma is also a lost town today. A historical marker remains where the town once stood. It was located near the intersections of K-28 and County Road 777.
Buffton Ottawa Name Change
Buffville Wilson Lost Town 1910-1943
Buhler Reno Current Town 1888-Present Old Mennonite Brethren church
Bull City Osborne Name Change Now Alton
Bull Creek Johnson Lost Town Twelve miles east of Baldwin, on the Santa Fe Trail.
Bull Creek Crossing Johnson Lost Place NA On the Oregon Trail c1840; Jim? Rogers, Shawnee Indian, proprietor. He farmed; provided meals and lodging to travelers.
Bunch Butler Lost Town 1898-1904 A rural hamlet located about 18 miles nearly due south of Eldorado and eight miles northwest of Wingate, the nearest railroad station.
Buncomb Brown Lost Town 1870-1871 The post office moved to Saint Francis.
Bundy’s Ferry Miami Lost Place  Operating in 1859 over the Marais des Cygnes River, one mile south of Stanton. Josiah Bundy, proprietor.
Bunker Hill Atchison Lost Town
Bunker Hill Russell Current Town Established by an emigrant train from the Licking County, Ohio area in 1868. Was on the Kansas Pacific Railroad.
Burden/Burdenville Cowley Current Town Named for Robert F. Burden, pioneer. The name changed from Burdenville to Burden.
Burdett Pawnee Current Town
Burdick/Linsdale Morris Current Town Located between Diamond Springs and Lost Springs on the Santa Fe Trail. The name changed from Linsdale to Burdick.
Bureau Logan Lost Town 1885-1887 A post office opened in September 1885. It was moved to McAllaster in May 1887.
Burgess Butler Lost Town 1887-1888
Burlingame Osage Current Town 1855-Present Burlingame is the oldest community in Osage County. Its main street was once part of the Santa Fe Trail. Named after Anson Burlingame, the founder of Burlingame.
Burlington Coffey Current Town County seat. Was on the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway.
Burns Marion Current Town Was on the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad.
Burnside Atchison Lost Town 1857-1858
Burnt Creek Greenwood Lost Town 1873-1874
Burr Oak Jewell Current Town James McCormick, postmaster, named the town.
Burrton Harvey Current Town 1873-Present
Burrton Reno Lost Town 1872 Was on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad. The post office was only open for six months.
Burrton Rice
Bursaw’s Mills, Bourassa’s Mills Wabaunsee Lost Town Indian village near Maple Hill.
Burt Woodson Daniel H. Burt, first postmaster.
Busby Elk
Bush City/Haskell Anderson 1880-1956 The name was changed to Bush City on April 19, 1921.
Bushnell Sumner Lost Town 1878-1879 The post office moved from Ninnescah.
Bushong Lyon Ghost Town An old railroad town.
Bushton/Sorghum Rice Current Town 1883-Present On the Missouri Pacific Railroad, Bushton was a rival of Cain City for the railroad. When the railroad came through Bushton and bypassed Cain City, the latter became a ghost town. The name changed from Sorghum to Bushton. Prosper in Farmer Township was Bushton’s rival.
Butler Washington Lost Town
Butler City Pottawatomie Lost Town
Butler County Butler Current County NA One of the original 36 counties was established in 1855. The county seat is El Dorado
Butler’s, Middletown. Jefferson Lost Town Established in 1858. Midway between Lecompton and Leavenworth.
Butte Logan Lost Town 1885-1891 A post office opened in May 1888 and closed in March 1891.
Butterfly Kingman Lost Town
Buxton Wilson Lost Town 1887-1921 Established in 1886, when the railroad was built. The land was owned by the Arkansas Valley Town and Land Company, which laid off the lots.
Byard Butler Lost Town 1858-1859
Byers/Naron Pratt Extinct Town 1915-2004 Formerly named Naron after Levi Holloway Naron, a pioneer of Pratt County. Town named for Otto P. Byers and Walter P. Byers, who owned the Byers Railroad. The post office closed on January 3, 2004.
Byron, Harbine Republican Lost Town
Byron Woodson Lost Town

Next

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X Y  Z