Anderson County Extinct Towns

Railroad sign in the extinct town of Selma, Kansas.

Railroad sign in the extinct town of Selma, Kansas.

Anderson County Map, 1878.

Anderson County Map, 1878.

Central City 

Cresco

Hyatt

Scipio

 

 

 

 

More Extinct Towns:

Town Post Office Dates Additional Information
Amiot/Mineral Point 1887-1951 This settlement was first called Mineral Point on account of a mound supposed to contain minerals. It was first formed in about 1856. The town’s name was changed to Amiot on April 5, 1905. In 1910, it was a station on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, not far from the Coffey County line. At that time it was a trading and shipping point and had a population of 40. It was located about 16 miles northwest of Garnett.
Bush City/Haskell 1880-1956 The name was changed to Bush City on April 19, 1921.
Canton 1858-1866 Canton was was located and surveyed in 1857 by B. Tyler, as a rival to Garnett. For about two years it was occupied and some improvements made, but when Garnett secured the county seat in 1859, Canton was soon abandoned.
Cherry Creek 1861-1867
Cherry Mound 1875-1882
Como 1881-1887 The post office moved to Northcott.
Delmont 1870 The post office was only open for about eight months.
Elizabethtown 1859-1883 In 1859, this town was located, surveyed, and platted. The town was founded by Joseph Price, Thomas J. Day, and James A. Dorsey, who formed the Town Company. A store was soon opened by W. Stubblefield & Co. However, when the railroad came through for the first time, it was built through the nearby town of Colony and Elizabethtown soon died out before it really ever got started. All that remains of it today is the Ozark #1 Cemetery. For years, it also had an old one-room schoolhouse, but over the years it deteriorated and fell down. Often called Liztown by the locals, it was located about 3-4 miles southeast of Colony.
Emerald 1869-1895
1897-1903
The first church was made of logs in 1861, followed by one of stone. During the 1870s and 1880s, large numbers of immigrants flowed into Kansas. Soon Emerald became an Irish-German community. By 1895 Emerald had more than 75 families attending church. In 1899, the beautiful St. Patrick’s Catholic Church was built. The crucifix over the main altar was carved by hand in Rome and took five months to make. The cemetery is a short distance behind the church.
Equity 1883-1894 The post office was moved from Rich.
Glenloch 1887-1913
Indian Valley 1861 The post office was only open for about eight months.
Lawn 1899 The post office was only open for about eight months.
Mineral Point 1862-1887 Though not a townsite this place was the center of a settlement that had been formed in 1855 and 1856. The first Fourth of July celebration for the western part of the county was held here in 1857 and a military company was formed the same day and had 31 members. The place was named Mineral Point because of a mound supposed to contain minerals. When the post office closed, it was moved to Harris.
Mont Ida/Mount Ida 1880-1944 The name changed from Mount Ida to Mont Ida on February 9, 1881.
Northcott 1887-1906 The post office moved from Como.
Ozark 1862-1885 The post office moved to Kincaid.
Redes 1858-1864
Reeder 1882 The post office was only open for about eight months.
Rich 1872-1883. The post office moved to Equity.
Rosyvale 1860-1862
Selma 1887-1956 The town was at the junction of the Kansas, Nebraska, and Dakota Railroad and the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad. In 1910, it had a hotel, general store, blacksmith shop, telegraph and express offices, and a money order post office with one rural route. The population in 1910 was 60. The Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway maintained a passenger depot in Selma until some time in the 1940s. It was located 13 miles southeast of Garnett.
Shannon/Cedar Bluff 1857-1860 The county seat was established in Cedar Bluff in 1856. In 1857, the town was surveyed by Dr. Preston Bowen, with public parks, and with the expectation of its remaining the county seat. More improvements were made, and county buildings commenced. On April 3, 1858, the town’s name was changed to Shannon in honor of Governor Wilson Shannon. However, when the county seat was removed to Garnett in 1859, the townsite was soon abandoned. The post office closed on September 13, 1860, and the townsite became part of a farm.
Springfield 1858-1860
Sugarvale/Sugar Valley 1871-1900 The name changed to Sugarvale on September 28, 1894.
Walker/Mount Gilead 1857-1866 Soon after the town of Greeley was laid out, Mount Gilead was surveyed on the opposite side of the Pottawatomie River as a  rival town. On about September 1, 1857, the Pottawatomie Town Company was organized, and on September 11, Rufus Gilpatrick, the president of the town company, presented a plat of a town named Pottawatomie to a notary public. However, the name of the town was afterward changed to Mount Gilead. A sawmill was built, and soon nearly all that existed of Greeley, including the post office, was moved to the new town, which grew quite rapidly for some time. The town’s name was changed from Mount Gilead to Walker on May 20, 1861.  However, there was difficulty procuring water to the site and it was soon abandoned. By the early 1880s, all that was left was one building used as a granary.

© Kathy Alexander/Legends of Kansas, May 2022.

Also See:

Anderson County, Kansas

Anderson County Photo Gallery

Kansas Destinations

Kansas Main Page

Sources:

Anderson County Historical Society
Blackmar, Frank W.; Kansas: A Cyclopedia of State History, Vol I; Standard Publishing Company, Chicago, IL 1912.
Cutler, William G; History of Kansas; A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL, 1883.
Kansas State Historical Society – Post Offices