Among the first permanent settlers in its vicinity, who arrived in 1855-56, were H. Heine, James M. Dun, M. Clayton, R. A. Dean, H. McKenzie, A. S. Baldwin, A. E. Northrop, J. Hulze, D. Dack and Mr. Smith, who died in 1856, which was probably the first death in the area. The settlement was named after Belvoir, the plantation home of William Fairfax in Virginia.
In what was known as the McKenzie neighborhood, the St. John’s Church Catholic church was established in 1856. Several houses were also built and a tavern that accommodated the travelers going west. In the summer of 1865, a stone schoolhouse, measuring 24’x40′ was built at a cost of $1,500. Dr. George Hubbard and W. Markle were among the first teachers. On account of the proximity of Belvoir to Twin Mound, a post office was not established until April 26, 1869, with L. D. Bailey appointed as the first postmaster.
In 1873, the Carbondale branch of the Union Pacific Railroad was completed 2 ½ miles from Belvoir and the post office was moved. Soon, a new schoolhouse was built and other businesses followed. However, by 1903, the population had fallen to such a degree that the post office was closed on January 31st.
In 1910, the community had a population of 30.