Every Place Kansas – I-J

Independence Crossing of the Oregon and California Trails.

Independence Crossing of the Oregon and California Trails.

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X Y  Z

I-J

Place Name County Place Type Post Office Dates More Information
Iago, Igo Rooks Lost Town
Iatan Ferry Lost Place NA This ferry operated from 1855-61 on Missouri River. Formerly Daugherty’s Landing, Nimrod Farley, proprietor.
Iantha or Ianthe Anderson Lost Town Laid out in 1856; was the first town laid out in the county, The name was changed to Kansas City, and the townsite was abandoned in 1858.
Ibaton Jewell Lost Town
Ida Harper Lost Town Near Albion.
Ida Republic Lost Town Located in 1872; abandoned in 1882; named for Miss Ida Williams, daughter of a pioneer settler.
Idaville Reno Lost Town 1875-1876 The post office moved to Nonpariel.
Idell Crawford Lost Town 1870-1901 Idell was situated on Hickory Creek, 12 miles southwest of Girard.
Idenbro Labette Lost Town Named forThomas T. Iden, postmaster.
Ilion Rawlins Possibly named after Ilion, New York.
Imes/Larimore Franklin Lost Town 1877-1917 Named for Harmon Imes, the postmaster. The name changed from Larimore to Imes on May 23, 1887.
Imogene Reno Lost Town Was on the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad in 1887.
Independence Montgomery Current Town County seat.
Independence Crossing Marshall Lost Place A trading post six miles south of Marysville in 1848, located at the point where General John C. Fremont forded the Blue River in 1842 and where the Mormons crossed in later years.
Independence Spring Atchison Lost Town P.O. 1855.
Indian City Linn Lost Town Two miles west of Prescott.
Indian Creek Elk Lost Town 1873-1882
Indian Creek Linn Lost Town 1862-1868
Indian Creek Campground Johnson Lost Place This emigrant staging area extended several miles from the Missouri State line in a southwest direction and included Indian Creek and its several branches. West of Little Santa Fe, the trail from Independence paralleledTomahawk Creek, a southern branch of Indian Creek, to the divide east of Lone Elm Campground.
Indiana City/Scranton Osage Name Change Now Scranton.
Indian Valley Anderson Lost Place 1861 The post office was only open for about eight months.
Indianapolis Miami Lost Town P.O. 1859.
Indianola/Smithfield Butler Lost Town 1871-1902 In Benton Township. The name changed from Smithfield to Indianola on June 1, 1874. It was located 12 miles southwest of Eldorado and eight miles northwest of Augusta.
Indianola Shawnee Lost Town 1855-1868 Founded by H. D. McMeekin, it was a pro-slavery settlement north of Topeka.
Industry Clay Lost Town
Industry Dickinson Lost Town 1876-1906 The post office moved from Lovejoy.
Inez Sherman Lost Town
Ingalls Gray Current Town Located on the Santa Fe Trail. In 1887 Asa T. Soule, a millionaire promoter from New York laid out the town and named it after Senator John J. Ingalls.
Ingalls Lincoln Lost Town
Ingleton/Arnold Crawford Lost Town 1871-1872 The name was changed from Arnold to Ingleton on February 26, 1872.
Ingo Barber Lost Town
Inland Greenwood Lost Town 1862-1863
Inman/Superior McPherson Current Town Also called Superior, it was located on the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad in 1887;
Inman Pratt Lost Town Established 1879.
Ino Osage Lost Town 1899-1900
Inver Atchison Lost Town
Invermay Atchison Lost Town 1882-1897
Inyo Harper Lost Town Located one mile from the county line.
Iola Allen Current Town County seat. Founded in 1857 and settled by German immigrants.
Iola Doniphan Lost Town None Located near the Wolf River, across from the community of Fanning.
Ionia Jewell -1987 The post office closed on January 1, 1987.
Iowa Ness Lost Town
Iowa City, Iowa Creek Crawford Lost Town 1867
1870-1877
Iowa City was situated two miles southeast of Pittsburg.
Iowa Point Doniphan Lost Town 1955-1933 Was located on the Missouri River and the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad in Iowa Township.
Iowaville Sedgwick 1874-1902
Irene Pratt Lost Town It was between Wichita and Dodge City.
Irish Creek Marshall Lost Place Located on the south fork of the Black Vermillion River, this was located on the crossing of the Parallel Road In 1859. It was probably the Gilliam Company campsite on June 4, 1844.
Irving Marshall Lost town 1860-1960 Irving, had a tragic life filled with drought, grasshoppers, & tornadoes before it was finally wiped out with the Tuttle Lake Dam.
Isabel Barber Current Town
Island City Geary Lost Town 1855
Island Creek Wyandotte Lost Town 1866 The post office was only open for a month.
Italia, Florence Lyon Name Change Now Neosho Rapids.
Iuka Pratt Current Town Held the county seat until a redistricting of the area;
Ivanhoe Haskell Lost Town Vacated 1903.
Ivanpah Greenwood Lost Town 1879-1904
Ives Montgomery Lost Town 1882-1884
Ivy/Bunker Hill Lyon Lost Town 1870
1871-1896
The post office in Bunker Hill was only open for four months in 1870. It was reopened in 1871 and renamed Ivy.
Iwacura Clay Lost Town
Jack Russell Lost Town 1883-1888
Jackson Linn Lost Town 1858-1859
1862-1872
Jackson was the first post office established in Liberty Township on June 30, 1858.
Jackson County Jackson Current County NA One of the original 36 counties, it was created in 1855. It was originally called Calhoun County. Holton is the county seat.
Jackson’s Mills Wilson Lost Town
Jacksonville Multiple Lost Town On the corner of four counties — Cherokee, Crawford, Labette, and Neosho.
Jacksonville Jefferson Lost Town 1883-1887
Jacksonville Smith Lost Town
Jaggard Leavenworth Lost Town 1889-1905 On the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad two miles northwest of Bonner Springs
Jamaica Greenwood Lost Town
James Crossing Jackson Lost Town James’ Crossing was established in 1862 on Soldier Creek, John James, Proprietor & postmaster. Post village in 1864. On the post road from Atchison to Louisville in 1864.
Jamesburgh Sedgwick Lost Town 1873-1880 Located a little over two miles northwest of Wichita. It was laid out in the winter of 1872-73 and named for James Morgan, the proprietor. It once had a store, shop, and post office, but they were gone by the early 1880s.
Jamestown Cloud Current Town
Jamestown Ferry Doniphan Lost Place Established 1841 at Jamestown Landing on the Missouri River about 7.5 miles above St. Joseph, Missouri near the mouth of Dillon Creek.
Janesville Greenwood Lost Town 1860-1880
Janet Reno Lost Town Located between Arlington and Langdon on the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad
Jaqua Cheyenne Lost Town 1887-1919 A small settlement located on the south fork of the Republican River in the southwestern part of the county.
Jarbalo Leavenworth Extinct Town 1872-1958 There are still several homes in the community as well as an active church.
Jarvis View, Jarvis Creek Rice Lost Town East of Lyons on Santa Fe Trail.
Jasper Linn Lost Town 1898-1901
Jay Leavenworth Lost Town 1898-1902 Located about six miles southwest of Easton.
Jay Eu Republic Lost Town
Jay Hawk Chautauqua Name Change The name changed to Matanzas.
Jeddo Allen Lost Town 1868-1877
Jefferson Montgomery Lost Town 1888-1954 Located on Fawn Creek, it was a station on the Missouri Pacific Railroad. It was laid out in 1886 when the railroad was extended to that point and named for Albert Jefferson Broadbent, the original owner of the townsite. In 1910, it had an express office, good local trade, a money order post office with one rural route, and a population of 100. It still has several homes, including one that was once a schoolhouse built in 1900.
Jefferson Republic Lost Town
Jefferson City Jefferson Lost Town 1864-1865
Jefferson County Jefferson Current County  One of the original 36 counties, it was created in 1855. Oskaloosa is the county seat.
Jeffersonville Cowley Lost Town 1870-1872 The post office moved to Lazette.
Jeffrey
Jennings Decatur Current Town Named for Warren Jennings, postmaster.
Jerome Anderson Name Change The name changed to Central City.
Jerome Atchison Lost Town
Jericho Gove A small town located south and west of Hackberry.
Jerusalem Johnson Lost Town 1895-1900 Located two miles northeast of Gardner.
Jetmore Hodgeman Current Town County seat. On the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.
Jewell Jewell Current Town Named for Colonel N. H. Billings, a founder of Jewell.
Jewell Center/Mankato Jewell Name Change Now Mankato.
Jewell County Jewell Current County NA Created from unorganized area in 1867. Mankato is the county seat.
Jimtown Phillips Lost Town Seven miles north of Phillipsburg.
Jingo Miami Lost Town
Johnson Crawford Name Change Now Drywood.
Johnson Pottowatomie Lost Town 1872-1873 The post office was only open for about six months.
Johnson City Stanton Current Town County seat.
Johnson/Veteran Stanton Current Town 1887-Present County seat. The town was initially called Veteran. Changed to Johnson in 1887. On the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.
Johnson County Johnson Current County NA One of the original 36 counties, it was created in 1855. Olathe is the county seat.
Johnsonville Jewell Lost Town
Johnston Sumner Lost Town None It was one mile north and 3.5 miles west of Caldwell at 1100 West 160th Street South.
Johnstown McPherson Named for John Johnson, postmaster.
Jones Morris Lost Town On the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad.
Jonesburg Chautauqua Lost Town
Jonestown Allen Lost Town 1875-1879 Nine miles east of Iola.
Jonesville Brown Lost Town 1879-1885
Jordon Springs Reno Lost Town 1875-1887 Thirty miles southwest of Hutchinson.
Josalina Lincoln Lost Town 1886 The post office was only open for a few months, from February 23, 1886, to July 28, 1886
Journeycake, Johnny Cake Leavenworth Name Change Also Johnny Cake. Indian village, stage station, and post office. Was later called Stranger and now Linwood.
Joy Kiowa Lost Town On the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad in 1887.
Joy Lyon Lost Town
Joy Creek Washington Lost Town
Judson Smith Lost Town
Julian Montgomery Lost Town A paper town.
Junction Leavenworth Lost Town On the Missouri River.
Junction City Geary Current Town County seat. Founded in 1858 near the junction of the Republican and Smoky Hill Rivers. Originally named Manhattan, it was located on the Smoky Hill Trail. Was a station on the Leavenworth-Pikes Peak Express. Later located on the Kansas Pacific Railroad and the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway.
Juniata, Dyers’ Town Pottawatomi Lost Town 1855-1856 On the Fort Leavenworth-Fort Riley Military Road.
Jurett Wilson  Lost Town 1871-1887 The post office moved to Buxton.

Next

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X Y  Z