|Post Office Dates
|Annexed to Kansas City, Kansas, in 1910.
|Consolidated with Kansas City in 1886.
|Part of Kansas City, Kansas, consolidated in 1886.
|Bethel was on the Kansas City-Northwestern Railroad, nine miles west of the mouth of Jersey Creek in Kansas City, Kansas. The town of Bethel was laid out in 1887 by the White Church Townsite and Improvement Company, David D. Hoag, president. It is about three-quarters of a mile northeast of the town of White Church and one-half mile southwest of Bethel station on the Kansas City Western Interurban Electric Railway. In the 1880s, it had a large general store, brick and terra cotta works, a railroad depot, a telegraph, an express office, a town hall, a blacksmith, and a wagon shop. The train station was at 81st and Leavenworth Rd. From this point could be seen Kansas City, Leavenworth, Parkville, and other points in the distance. Bethel was designed as a suburban residence town for the two Kansas Cities. In 1910 it was located on the Missouri Pacific Railroad and had a money order post office, telegraph and express facilities, and a population of 25. It was about ten miles west of Kansas City.
|The post office moved from Six Mile. When it closed, it moved to Summundowot.
|A station on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, 12 miles northwest of Wyandotte. It was platted in February 1868, the townsite owners being Alfred W. and William S. Hughes. In the early 1880s, it had several stores, a schoolhouse where religious services were held, and a small hotel.
|On the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad and the Kansas Pacific Railroad. The post office changed in 1971 to a classified branch of the Kansas City, Kansas’ post office.
|The name changed from Summundowot to Fairdale in 1891.
|The post office moved to Rosedale.
|Established in 1831 on the Kansas River, on the Fort Leavenworth-Fort Gibson Military Road. Nine miles west of Kansas City, Kansas. Moses R. Grinter, proprietor. Grinter’s two-story brick house, built in the late 1850s, is maintained by the Kansas State Historical Society.
|The post office was only open for a month.
|Nine miles south of Wyandotte (Kansas City.)
|Loring was the last station in the county on the Union Pacific Railroad. It is now a neighborhood of Bonner Springs.
|Located along the Kansas City-Northwestern Railroad, it was situated in a rich agricultural community two miles southeast of Piper. It was described as a prettily situated small hamlet amid a beautiful prairie country. In 1911, it was supplied with general stores, schools, churches, telephone, telegraph, and rural mail delivery service. The town obviously struggled because its post office closed and reopened several times.
|Located along the Kansas City-Northwestern Railroad, Menager Junction was on the west line of the county where the Leavenworth branch left the main line.
|Named for the Morris Packing Company, the town was three miles southwest of Turner on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad. Established in the 1880s, it was the feeding station on the railroad for livestock entering the Kansas City stockyards. It had pens and trackage sufficient for handling several trainloads of stock at one time.
|Muncie was on the Chicago and Rock Island Railroad and the Kansas Pacific Railroad., six miles west of Wyandotte. It was named after the Muncee Indian band. Opposite, on the other side of the Kansas River, the Chouteau brothers established a trading post in 1825. Today it is a neighborhood of Kansas City, Kansas.
|Piper, situated on the Kansas City, Wyandotte & Northwestern Railroad, was laid out in September 1888 by L. E. Scott, Margaret Scott, John Waldron, Ella L. Waldron, W. S. Brown, and S. A. Brown, the proprietors of the town site, which embraced 40 acres. Once a railroad town, it was named for a railway official. In 1911, the village boasted two general stores, a blacksmith and wagon shop, a railroad depot, a telegraph, an express office, and a population between 200 and 300. It was annexed by Kansas City in 1991. Piper was west of Kansas City, Kansas, just off K-7 near Leavenworth Road at 110th.
|Pomeroy on the Missouri Pacific Railroad was the next station southeast of Connors. It was platted in the spring of 1871 by William P. Overton and Frank H. Belton, the proprietors. The two men also operated a steam flour and saw mill there. In 1911, it had several stores and a small cluster of houses. It is an important shipping point for dairymen who supply large quantities of milk for the city. It was located on the Missouri River, 9.5 miles from Kansas City, Kansas
|Now part of Kansas City. The 70.5-acre Quindaro Townsite is now a National Commemorative Site and an archaeological district. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 22, 2002.
|Consolidated with Kansas City in 1922.
|The post office was open for less than a year.
|By 1840 Delaware was a very important place. Steamboats were making regular trips to this point with large freight cargoes for the government and the different missions located nearby. In 1842. The name changed from Delaware to Secondline on February 1, 1856. It was near Edwardsville.
|Six-Mile Tavern was established just a few miles west of Quindaro, Kansas, on the road between Wyandotte (Kansas City) and Leavenworth in 1853. It became a Red Leg stronghold during the days of the Civil War.
|The town was initially called Farmer but changed to Turner in 1879. It was located a few miles west of Argentine on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad. In the early 1880s, it had a schoolhouse and several stores. Today, it is a neighborhood of Kansas City, Kansas.
|Located along the Kansas City-Northwestern Railroad, Vance was also on the Kansas City Western Electric Railroad.
|The post office was only open for eight months.
|Located along the Kansas City-Northwestern Railroad, Wallula was in the northwest part of the county. In 1910, it was located on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, 17 miles northwest of Kansas City. At that time, it had a money-order post office, a telegraph station, and a population of 15.
|This place began as a mission for the Delaware Indians. It is part of Kansas City, Kansas today.
|Wolcott /Connor/Connor’s Station
|The principal town on the Missouri Pacific Railway, mainline between Kansas City and Leavenworth, was 12 miles above the mouth of the Kansas River in the northeast corner of Wyandotte County. It was platted as Conner in February 1868, the townsite owners being Alfred and William Hughes. The town was an important shipping point, and it was well-supplied with stores, hotels, schools, and churches. When the Kansas City Western Electric Railway was constructed in 1902, the town’s name was changed to Wolcott in honor of the first general manager of the line, Herbert Wolcott. The railway company constructed a great electrical power plant at the place, which was used to supply the power for its line between Kansas City and Leavenworth. The powerhouse was destroyed by fire in 1907. In 1911, its population was about 400.
|Now part of Kansas City, Kansas
Kansas Post Office History
Blackmar, Frank W.; Kansas: A Cyclopedia of State History, Vol I; Standard Publishing Company, Chicago, IL 1912.
Cutler, William G; History of Kansas; A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL, 1883.
Morgan, Perl W.; History of Wyandotte County, Kansas and Its People, Lewis Publishing Company, Chicago, IL, 1911.