Situated on the Big Blue River and the Union Pacific Railroad, the town was named for a great manufacturing city in England. In 1867 a log schoolhouse was built that initially served just ten students. Early settlers were C. H. Travelute and wife his wife, Charles Emery, Peter Blodgett, Frank Butterfield, William Helms. and Finlay McDonald.
The town was laid out by John Nesbitt who owned the land and induced the railroad to put in a switch in 1884. S. C. McCarter built the first residence and John King erected the first store. R. G. Williams built the second store in 1886 which became the location of a post office in 1887 with H. P. Benson appointed postmaster.
The railway station was built in 1898. The first elevator was built in 1891 by David Daikers and operated by him until 1894 when he sold out to the Nebraska Elevator Company, which built a much larger elevator.
In 1891, with Hull having become a logical shipping point for the surrounding country, the commissioners were petitioned to build a bridge over the Blue River, which they refused to do. At that time, the farmers were required to ferry their grain across the river from farms on the west. So, three energetic men united their efforts, donated liberally, and secured donations from others, for a bridge fund. These three men were Andrew J. Travelute, H. P. Benson, and Grant \/Villiams. One stonemason was hired and all other labor was donated by farmers. The east approach to the bridge was finished during the fall of 1891 and through the efforts of a county commissioner the west approach was built and the bridge completed the following year. Frederick Heitcamp operated a general store at that time.
In 1910 the town had some local trade, a post office, an express and telegraph office, and a population of 25.
Though the town was well situated and had always been a good marketing point for grain and stock, it declined. John Wassenberg owned the only general store in 1917 and the post office closed in 1921.
Blackmar, Frank W.; Kansas: A Cyclopedia of State History, Vol I; Standard Publishing Company, Chicago, IL 1912.
Forter, Emma Elizabeth Calderhead; History of Marshall County, Kansas: Its People, Industries, and Institutions; B.F. Bowen, 1917.