Extinct Towns of Mitchell County, Kansas

Waconda Spring, Kansas, 1921.

Waconda Spring, Kansas, 1921.

Extinct Towns:

Asherville

Waconda Springs

More Extinct Towns:

Town Post Office Dates Additional Information
Asherville 1869-1980
Blue Hill 1872–1921 Blue Hill, an inland post office of Mitchell County, was located on Salt Creek in Hayes Township. This area was settled in 1871 by a man from Stonehenge, England. Maurice Brown homesteaded on land that eventually became the townsite of Blue Hill. The name comes from a range of hills that surround the town that are known for a blue hue during the early morning hours. The town soon had a general store run by Maurice Brown, a creamery, and a post office. The schoolhouse was built in 1887. The population in 1910 was 15. Blue Hill was 16 miles southwest of Beloit, the county seat, and about 12 miles south of Glen Elder, the nearest shipping point.
Brown’s Creek 1873-1875
Buel 1883-1903 Buel is an extinct town in Center Township, Mitchell County, Kansas.
Coursen’s Grove-Coursen 1874-1895 The order of October 1, 1894, changing the name of this office to Coursen was ignored by the Post Office, and the name ‘Coursen’ was consequently never actually effective.
Dalrymple 1880-1882
Elmira 1872-1895 Elmira was in Center Township, of Mitchell County.
Excelsior 1874-1881
1885-1888
The post office moved from Naomi when it was established.
Floyd 1879-1884
Fourth Creek 1878-1883
Laban 1878-1882
Naomi 1873-1885 The post office moved to Excelsior when it closed.
Round Spring 1873-1880
Saltville 1873-1901 Saltville was an inland hamlet in Salt Creek Township of Mitchell County. Saltville was located on Salt Creek in the southeastern part of the county. It was about 12 miles south of Beloit, the county seat, and seven miles northwest of Barnard, from which place it received its mail by rural route after its post office closed. The population in 1910 was 25.
Scottsville-Lulu 1873-1967 When this place got its start, it was first called Lulu. It was located in Lulu Township in the extreme northeastern corner of the county. A post office was established on December 24, 1873. Its name changed to Scottsville on November 12, 1878. The town was platted in October 1878, when the Missouri Pacific Railroad was first extended to that point. In 1910, it had a bank, a weekly newspaper called the Advance, telegraph and express offices, and a money order post office with two rural routes, and a population of 248. Its post office was discontinued on May 5, 1967. There are still homes and buildings in the area.
Shockley 1873-1879
Smoky Hill 1872 The post office was only open for about four months.
Solomon Rapids 1870-1953 Solomon Rapids, a station on the Missouri Pacific Railroad in Mitchell County, is located on the Solomon River, in Turkey Creek Township, 5 miles West of Beloit, the county seat. This point was settled early in the history of the county and was at one time a town of considerable importance. In 1910, it had a money order post office, and its population was 50.
Springfield 1872-1881
Sunflower 1898-1901 Sunflower received its name from the Sunflower Trail that for a short time ran right through the community. Walter and Honora Tilton Cooke came to Mitchell County, Kansas in 1884. They leased with an intent to buy the NE 1/4 of Section 36 in Center Township from the State of Kansas. By 1890, a small community had formed. A blacksmith, creamery, school, and small store had been established by 1895. The Cookes purchased the property on February 23, 1897, for $1,154.00. The Sunflower community remained until the early 1940s. Elva and Micah Tice placed a native limestone monument at the former location of Sunflower.
Ulysses 1874
1875-1881
Victor 1879-1941 Victor, a post-hamlet of Mitchell County, was located in Blue Hill Township, was an important trading point, and its business materially increased within the last two or three years since a separating station was established for the Lonsen Creamery Company. Victor was 24 miles southwest of Beloit, the county seat, and 16 miles North of Vesper, the nearest shipping point. It received mail daily. Its population in 1910 was 40.
Waconda 1872-1881
1897-1902
Waconda Springs 1908-04-23 1955-07-15 Waconda Springs, a hamlet in Cawker Township in the northwest corner of Mitchell County, was named after the chief god of the Kanza Indians. This was one of the earliest established towns of the county, and in 1871 was quite an important little village. Near the town was the noted spring of the same name, from which water was shipped to be used for its health-giving properties. In 1910, it was on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, at the junction of the two forks of the Solomon River, 20 miles West of Beloit, the county seat, and about tw miles West of Cawker City, from which place it received mail. The population in 1910 was 32. Most of the buildings were later moved to Cawker City.
Walnutgrove-Walnut Grove 1876-1881
1886-1901
There were two settlements in Mitchell County with the name Walnut Grove. The first was in Hayes Township with a post office from 1876 to 1881. In 1886, Walnut Grove in Bloomfield Township was issued a post office. This post office was renamed Walnutgrove in 1894, then discontinued in 1901.
West Asher 1872-1888 West Asher is an extinct town in Lulu Township, Mitchell County, Kansas.
Zephyr 1879-1883

©Kathy Alexander/Legends of Kansas, updated 2026.

Also See:

Kansas Counties

Kansas Destinations

Kansas Towns & Cities

Mitchell County, Kansas

Sources:

Blackmar, Frank W.; Kansas: A Cyclopedia of State History, Vol I; Standard Publishing Company, Chicago, IL 1912.
Cutler, William G.; History of Kansas; A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL, 1883.
Fort Hays State University
Kansas Post Office History