Located on the Central Branch of the Missouri Pacific Railroad in Atchison County, Kansas, Farmington got its start as a station on the railroad. It is said that railroad men established the town in revenge against nearby Monrovia.
Before the railroad came through, a small community was established in 1856 one mile southwest of Baker’s Ford on the St. Joseph and California Road. Rut swales remained visible near a spring for years. Rosalvin Perham and J. E. Perley ran a store, hotel, and blacksmith shop.
A school was built in 1863, and a church was organized by Pardee Butler in October 1867, with services held in the school building. The town gained a post office in November 1868. The town was named for the many area farmers. Though it was never officially incorporated, it was a thriving rural town. Farmington was finally platted in April 1872.
By the 1880s, Farmington consisted of just a few families and continued to have a school where church services were held. In 1897, an official church was built that continues to stand today.
In 1910, Farmington boasted a general store, a blacksmith, telegraph and express facilities, and 46 people. The Farmington District 26 School was built in 1925, but at some point, it closed, as it is abandoned today.
Over the following years, the primarily agricultural community began to decline, and its post office closed in May 1940. Today, the small community still displays several homes and its historic Christian Church.
Farmington is located about 12 miles southwest of Atchison.
Blackmar, Frank W.; Kansas Cyclopedia, Standard Publishing, 1912
Cutler, William G.; History of the State of Kansas, A. T. Andreas, 1883
Ingalls, Sheffield, History of Atchison County, Kansas, Standard Publishing Company, 1916