Franklin County, Kansas Extinct Towns

Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe engine, coal car and caboose steaming over double arch style railroad bridge between Wellsville and LeLoup, 1910.

Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe engine, coal car, and caboose steaming over double arch style railroad bridge between Wellsville and LeLoup, 1910.

Le Loup/Ferguson

Minneola/Saint Bernard




Town Post Office Dates Additional Information
Berea 1863-1870 Burea began when Reverend J. N. Smith brought a small body of United Presbyterians into the southern part of the county in 1857. William Aikin taught the first school in the winter of 1857-58. The group built a church in 1858 of native lumber. The same year, the town was laid out, and soon the town company built a store. A schoolhouse was built in 1861, and a post office was established in 1863. The Associate Presbyterians built a church in 1867. In 1870, the United Presbyterians built a larger and better frame- building for $1,400. In 1870, the office was removed to Richmond, a new railroad town three miles west, and the town died.
Bowling Green 1855-1857
Centropolis 1858-1859
Centropolis is an unincorporated community, as well as an extinct town, due to the fact that it no longer has a post office. Perry Fuller first settled in the area in 1855 and established a store in order to trade with the nearby Ottawa Indians. His store prospered, and in 1856, he established the Centropolis Town Company and began selling lots. A missionary newspaper published by Jotham Meeker for the Ottawa Baptist Mission was the first newspaper in Franklin County. Not only did Fuller expect his new town to become the county seat but also the territorial capital of Kansas and eventually the state capital. As of the 2020 census, the population of the community and nearby areas was 100. It is located about 11 miles northwest of Ottawa. It still has several buildings, including an active church.
Coburn 1900-1902 In the northwestern part of the county, it was ten miles west of Norwood, the nearest railroad station.
Dennison 1865-1868
Emerald None First settled in 1857
Forest Home 1867-1877 The post office moved to Homewood.
Garlington 1886-1898 The post office moved to Pleasanthill.
Greenwood/Sac & Fox Agency 1855-1872 The name changed from Sac & Fox Agency to Greenwood on February 27, 1861.
Hackett 1900-1903 In the northern part of the county, it was located in the valley of Eight Mile Creek, about six miles northwest of Ottawa.
Hickory Creek 1859-1860
Homewood 1877-1955 The post office moved from Forest Home. Homewood in Williamsburg Township was located on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad 11 miles southwest of Ottawa. In 1910, it had general stores, a public school, a money order post office with one rural route, telegraph and express facilities, and a population of 100. Located in a rich agricultural district, it is the supply and shipping point for the vicinity. Today, the area still features several homes, a couple of old business buildings, the old Homewood School, and an active church.
Imes/Larimore 1877-1917 Larimore was a small town on the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railroad about six miles southeast of Ottawa. The name changed from Larimore to Imes on May 23, 1887. Named for Harmon Imes, the postmaster. In 1910 it was located on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, had a money order office, was a shipping point for the rich agricultural district, an had a  population of 40.
Le Loup/Ferguson 1870-1954 In the northeastern part of the county, it started as a station on the Leavenworth, Lawrence & Fort Gibson Railroad in 1870. The name was changed from Ferguson to Le Loup on May 8, 1879. There are still a few homes in the area.
McCandless 1900-1901
Minneola/Saint Bernard 1855-1865 The name changed from Saint Bernard to Minneola on November 26, 1858. It was the Franklin County seat for a brief time. The post office moved to Centropolis when it closed. St. Bernard was established just a couple miles east of Centropolis and was made the Franklin County seat. However, it did not grow, and the post office was closed and was renamed Minneola.
Norwood 1868-1872
Located in the northern part of Franklin County, it was situated on the Kansas City, Lawrence & Southern Railroad. It was named after Henry Ward Beecher’s novel of the name. When the post office was established, D. W. Moore was appointed the first Postmaster. Balch & Hedrich opened a store in 1878. In 1910, it was on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad  In 1910, it had several stores, a money order post office, telegraph and express facilities, a few stores, and was the shipping and supply point of a rich agricultural district. At that time, its population was 37.
Ohio City 1857-1870  Located on the Humboldt Trail, it became the county seat of Franklin County for a short time. The post office moved to Princeton when it closed.
Ottawa Creek 1856-1864 The post office moved to Ottawa.
Pansy 1898-1902
Peoria 1857-1934 It was six miles east of Ottawa. The old Briles one-room school remains.
Pleasanthill 1898-1902 The post office moved from Garlington.
Ransomville 1881-1915 Was a coal mining camp located in the southwestern part of the county.
Richter 1890-1907
Sac Branch 1861-1863
Shermansville, Sherman’s, Dutch Henry’s Crossing 1855-1863 The post office moved to Lane.
Silkville NA Silkville, Kansas, located in Franklin County, was a collection of private buildings owned by Frenchman Ernest de Boissiere, whose farm consisted of 3,600 acres under the management of Charles Sears.
Woodlief 1898-1901

©Kathy Alexander/Legends of Kansas, updated July 2023.

Silkville, Kansas old school by Kathy Alexander.

Silkville, Kansas, old school by Kathy Alexander.

Also See:

Franklin County

Franklin County Photo Gallery

Kansas Coal Mining

Kansas Destinations


Blackmar, Frank W.; Kansas: A Cyclopedia of State History, Vol I; Standard Publishing Company, Chicago, IL 1912.
Cutler, William G; History of Kansas; A. T. Andreas, Chicago, IL, 1883.
Kansas Post Office History