Extinct Towns of Cherokee County, Kansas

Many of the extinct towns in Cherokee County, Kansas were active during the county's mining era.

Many of the extinct towns in Cherokee County, Kansas were active during the county’s mining era.

Town Post Office Dates Additional Information
Beaumont 1879 The post office originally moved from Lostine. It was only open seven months.
Boston Mills 1874-1893 Located on the Spring River about two miles north of Empire City.
Brushville 1858-1860, 1861-1862, 1866-1867 Brushville was originally settled within the Cherokee Neutral Lands. The area later became part of McGee County, before it was changed to Cherokee County. The settlement was located
west of Riverton.
Checo 1868-1877
Cherokee 1883-1885
Cherokee City 1860-1862, 1867-1870
Cherokee Mound 1869-1870
Cherry 1882-1895 The post office moved to Mineral.
Cokedale 1800-1906 A small village was located at the junction of the Missouri Pacific and Missouri, Kansas & Texas railroads, about six miles northwest of Columbus.
Crawford Seminary 1848-1863 It is believed that Crawford Seminary, a mission for Quapaw Indians, was east of present-day Baxter Springs. Records show that the mission post office was serviced through Missouri.
Eldon 1898-1901 A little hamlet situated about eight miles southeast of Columbus and three miles north of Galena.
Empire City 1877-1886, 1887-1913 Empire City eventually merged with Galena. There are several buildings left in the neighborhood today.
Faulkner 1886-1944 Faulkner was a shipping point on the Missouri Pacific Railroad about 11 miles southwest of Columbus. In 1910, it had a money order post office with one rural route, telegraph and express services, telephone connections, some good general stores, and was a trading and shipping point for that portion of the county. At that time, its population was 75. There are still a few area residents and one business called Faulkner Grain.
Favor 1874-1876
Fly Creek 868-1870
Friendship 1889-1901 A small village located on Lightning Creek, 12 miles northwest of Columbus and three miles from Sherman.
Fruitland 1874-1876
Gregory 1874 The post office only open for two months
Hickman 1872 The post office was only open for three months.
Keelville 1868-1905 A small hamlet located in the southwestern corner of the county, 13 miles from Columbus and six miles from Faulkner. In 1910, it had a population of about 45.
Kniveton 1895-1902 First established in Crawford County. The site moved in 1895. It was a small village located on the Kansas City Southern Railroad 15 miles northeast of Columbus.
Lewiston 1869-1871
Lola 1867-1869 The post office moved to Millersburgh.
Lostine/Petersville 1866-1879 The name changed from Petersville to Lostine in 1869. Moved to Beaumont in 1879.
Lowell 1868-1905 Was located on the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad, 14 miles southeast of Columbus and about four miles east of Baxter Springs. John Rogers, a Cherokee man, was the first settler, who located here in 1842. A Government Commission selected this place for the location of a fort, but Rogers, who owned the land, asked too much for it, and the post was afterward located at Fort Scott. S. Holroyd started the first store here in 1866. The population in 1910 was 156.
Lusk 1898 The post office was only open for 11 days. Order of change rescinded.
Mackie NA Mackie Camp, also known as 42 Camp, was a coal mining camp located five miles north of Columbus and 1.5 miles west of Highway K-7, in Cherokee County, Kansas. At one time the community had a population of 160 people.

General Store in Mackie Mining Camp, Cherokee County, Kansas.

General Store in Mackie Mining Camp, Cherokee County, Kansas.

School in Mackie Camp, Cherokee County, Kansas.

School in Mackie Camp, Cherokee County, Kansas.

Melrose 1877-1905 It was located about 15 miles southwest of Columbus and 7 miles from Faulkner.
Messer/Brownsville 1874-1906 The post office originally moved from Spring River Falls in 1874. The name changed from Brownsville to Messer in 1879. Situated on the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad, it was located  10 miles east of Columbus and five miles north of Galena. Its population in 1910 was 73.
Millersburgh 1868-1876 The post office originally moved from Lola. It was located eight miles northwest of Columbus. The district schoolhouse was built here in 1866 in a  log building.
Mineral 1895-1925 The post office originally moved from Cherry.
Mineral City 1898 The post office was only open for 6 weeks, the order of change was rescinded.
Morton/Bero 1871-1879 The name changed from Bero to Morton in 1877. It was located about 15 miles southwest of Columbus and 7 miles from Faulkner.
Neutral/Brush Creek 1871-1907 The name changed from Brush Creek to Neutral in 1883. This small village, situated on the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad, was seven miles south of Columbus. In 1910, it had a  flour mill, a general store, an express office, and a population of 76.
Neutral City 1867-1882
New Memphis 1874-1876 The post office moved to Star Valley.
New Windsor/Cheneyville 1883-1887 The name changed from Cheneyville to New Windsor in 1885.
Newcastle 1883-1885 The post office moved to Stippville.
Peacock 1901 The post office was only open for 8 months.
Pleasantview/Pleasant View 1866-1903 The name changed from Pleasant View to Pleasantview in 1877. Was located 11 miles northeast of Columbus and six miles from Weir.
Quakervale 1880-1887
Riceville 1895 The post office was only open for 6 months. Order of change rescinded.
Rockwell 1877-1879
Roseland 1902-1918 Roseland, located on the Joplin & Pittsburg electric line, got its start as a mining camp. In 1910, it had a money order post office, a church, a school,a good local trade, and a population of 100. It was located eight miles north of Columbus.

Roseland, Kansas Main Street.

Roseland, Kansas Main Street.

Roseland, Kansas School.

Roseland, Kansas School.

Salisbury 1859-1860
Sanfordville 1870-1871
Scammonville None A small coal-mining town located just a mile north of Stilson.
Skidmore 1903-1915 The Skidmore mining camp was an unincorporated community, located seven miles north of Columbus, and on what is now highway K-7. Located on the Joplin & Pittsburg electric line, it was once home to about 300 residents. In 1910, it had a general store, a Baptist Church, a school a post office, and a population of 75.

Skidmore, Kansas Ganeral Store.

Skidmore, Kansas General Store.

Skidmore, Kansas Baptist Church.

Skidmore, Kansas Baptist Church.

Spring City 1857-1859
Spring River Falls 1870-1874 The post office moved to Brownsville.
Star Valley/Starvale 1876-1898 The post office originally moved from New Memphis, and the name changed to Star Valley. In 1895, the name was changed to Starvale. It was located in the northwestern part of the county.
Stilson/Coalfield 1872-1886 The name changed from Coalfield to Stilson in 1876. A small coal-mining town, it was located seven miles north of Columbus, on the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf Railroad.
Stippville 1885-1887, 1892-1915 The post office originally moved from Newcastle. This mining town was located just 1/2 mile from the Turck station on the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad and just four miles from Columbus. In 1910, it had a few general stores, a money order post office, and a population of 200. The Joplin & Pittsburg electric line ran through it at the time.

Stippeville, Kansas mining camp in Cherokee County, Kansas.

Stippeville, Kansas mining camp in Cherokee County, Kansas.

Stone City 1900-1918 A mining town located in the northern part of the county, it was 12 miles from Columbus and five miles from Mineral. In 1910 it had a  money order post office and a population of 25.
Tehama 1873-1901 It was located five miles southeast of Columbus and not far from Quaker
Treece 1917-2009 As of May 2012, the city was abandoned, and most buildings and other facilities were demolished due to pervasive problems with lead pollution resulting from past mining.
Turck 1889-1891 Turckwas a small unincorporated mining camp located approximately three miles south of Scammon on the old the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad line.

Store and residence in Turck, Kansas, 1938.

Store and residence in Turck, Kansas, 1938.

Theater in Turck, Kansas, 1938.

Theater in Turck, Kansas, 1938.

Varck 1881-1906 It was located on the Spring River and the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad, 14 miles southeast of Columbus and three miles from Baxter Springs.
Whitehall 1883-1887
Wilsonville 1884-1885

Compiled and edited by Kathy Weiser/Legends of Kansas, updated March 2021.

Miners in Roseland, Kansas.

Miners in Roseland, Kansas.

Also See:

Cherokee County, Kansas

Kansas Counties

Kansas History

Southeast Kansas Photo Gallery

Places & Destinations

Sources:

Kansas: A Cyclopedia of State History, 1912
Kansas State Historical Society