Piedmont got its start as a station on the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad. It gained a post office on May 19, 1880. It soon developed into the principal shipping point of the area, moving grain, livestock, and other agricultural products.
By 1910, it boasted several retail businesses, a bank, express and telegraph offices, a money order post office with three rural routes, and about 250 people. However, over the years, Piedmont didn’t grow, and today it is all but a ghost town. It’s schools and businesses are closed, but it still supports a post office, a Methodist Church, and a handful of people.