Extinct Towns of Osage County, Kansas

Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad in Osage County, Kansas.

Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad in Osage County, Kansas.

 

Arvonia

Barclay

Michigan Valley

Peterton

Superior

 

Town Post Office Dates Additional Information
Antioch 1883-1885 The post office moved from Eclipse.
Arvonia 1869-1901 It was on the Marais des Cygnes River and about 12 miles southwest of Lyndon, the county seat.
Aurora 1886 The post office moved from Penfield. It was only open for three months before an Order of change was rescinded by the post office.
Barclay 1873-1955 A Quaker community settled in 1872.
Camp Creek 1873-1874
Delray 1879 The post office was open for ten months.
Dragoon 1873-1900
Elk Creek 1857-1858
1878-1880
The post office moved to Ridgeway in May 1858. It reopened in 1878 and closed in 1880.
Ellen 1899-1900 Ellen was about three miles south of Lyndon.
Fairfax/Lindale 1869-1883 The name changed from Lindale to Fairfax on March 6, 1871.
Farmersville 1873-1879
Fountain 1884-1900
Ino 1899-1900
Kedron 1871-1881
La Mont’s Hill 1871-1887 The post office moved to Vassar.
Maxson 1882-1910
Michigan Valley 1870-1967 It once had a population of 200 and several businesses.
Onion Creek 1869-1870 The post office moved to Osage City.
Penfield 1885-1888 The post office was originally open for six months before an order of change was rescinded in February 1886. It was then moved to Aurora. It reopened the same year but closed in 1888 and moved to Olivet.
Peterton 1876-1904 A coal-mining town and a station on the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad four miles north of Osage City.
Pop Corn 1874-1890
Richardson 1855-1874 At or near 110 Station on the Santa Fe Trail.
Ridgeway 1858-1900 The post office moved from Elk Creek. It is one of the historic early day towns, but after being missed by the railroads it dwindled.
Rosemont 1887-1913 The post office moved from Weaver. In 1910, it was a  station on the Missouri Pacific Railroad and had telegraph and express offices, a post office, and a population of 22. It was located 19 miles southeast of Lyndon.
Stormont 1881-1887
Superior 1859-1862 Superior was the first town and the county seat in what was then Weller County. South of Burlingame.
Swan River 1869 The post office was only open for four months.
Swansea 1882-1884
Trust 1870 The post office was only open for three months.
Union 1874-1900
Valley Brook 1869-1890
Walton 1858-1864
Weaver 1882-1887 The post office moved to Rosemont.

© Kathy Alexander/Legends of Kansas, July 2022.

Also See:

Ghost Towns of Kansas

Osage County Photo Gallery

Osage County, Kansas

Santa Fe Trail in Osage County